1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Money Men

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Randy712, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randy712

Randy712 Member

Here’s my latest post on http://the-beautiful-game.org/.

A topic that’s recently had a lot of attention – this is my take on it.

---
    You probably know where this going. I’m writing this probably with some reflection of the game last weekend where the result need not be repeated. But at St. James’ Park on a fine Sunday afternoon, the fans were in for a treat. To see two of our former players, be embarrassed by a club supposedly inferior to them was a sight to see. This isn’t an article of sour grapes, pointing out the failings of ex-players, more to the issue that an increasing number of players see their names in headlights and leave their club in search of glory.

As we all know on January 31st 2010, a £35million bid was accepted for Newcastle talisman Andy Carroll from Liverpool. Much was made at the time of the price of the player, the timing of the incident, as well as whether he walked the plank or was he pushed. Whatever happened, its fair to say that his career has seemingly taken a plummet, and will take some real graft to get the recognition he had before. He could have written himself into the same lines of the likes of Alan Shearer and Jackie Milburn. Instead he seems destined to share the embarrassment that is akin to Sean Dundee and Robbie Keane – the players that the scouse will remember with a sigh and a shake of the head.

Away from Andy Carroll, there is a long list of players that thought leaving for a supposed ‘bigger club’ with an injection into their own bank accounts would suit for the best. Well maybe, in terms of the number of zero’s at the end of their bank statements. But what happens on the pitch is the players’ bread and butter. Note, this isn’t a gripe to all those who have left my club, this is a genuine article looking at those who leave a club in search of personal ambitions.

Step forward Fernando Torres. Three years ago, he was supposedly one of the most feared strikers in the world, rifling goals in a team challenging for the title. Now he is one of the world’s most expensive flops. Again, another case of the ‘bigger club’ syndrome. Torres has looked a shadow of his former self, with the list seemingly endless of those who left for ‘a club with more ambition’.

Now I’m not here raving that the players mentioned above left purely for cold hard cash. There was probably an incentive of moving onto bigger and better things (probably being the key word). But this perfectly alludes to the point that one of the most valuable things in football is the adulation and idolisation of the fans. After all, despite all the money and goals, the fans tend to stick with the players that have stuck with them. That is why I have the utmost respect for the likes of Alan Shearer and Steven Gerrard (despite him being a first class plank). Footballers who declined moves to more successful clubs to stay with their club, their fans, their people. Money isn’t everything in football.
    Andy Carroll and Jose Enrique can join the likes of Charles N’Zogbia, Kevin Nolan, Joey Barton, Habib Beye, Damien Duff and Obafemi Martins. Look where they are now.

The grass isn’t always greener on the other side…

Comments welcome

---
    Follow and comment at http://the-beautiful-game.org/
    Follow on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/beautifulgame9

2. barnaby

barnaby Well-Known Member

Just watching MOTD and Bassong playing for Wolves, another one on the way down. I liked the lad, thought he could have been a top CB for us.

3. Darth Gogledd

Darth Gogledd Well-Known Member

Nolan didn't leave for money, he was sold by the club.

4. Jesus Was A Geordie

Jesus Was A Geordie Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that's a little harsh on Nolan, but aside from that its a decent article...In many ways, Torres has made the right move, granted its not good for Chelsea, but he's playing in a team in the Champions League, fighting it out for the top 4 and with the guarantee of more investment in the summer - it could be worse, he could be at Liverpool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.