1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

most memorable moment and favourite player

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by northbankjack, Jul 15, 2012.

1. northbankjack

northbankjack Member

As we get prepared for our centenary season,just a bit of fun to find our favourite moment and player.

favourite moment- darren pratleys goal against forest (play off semi)just seemed an eternity for the ball to reach the net and especially when it looked as if forest would equalise with the pressure being put on us.It just summed up the total change in fortune for the club since that equally memorable victory against hull

favourite player - robbie james,being the same age as robbie and having played against him once followed his career with great interest,a fantastic player on the field and a real gentleman off it,robbie often attended our junior sides presentation nights A TRUE GREAT JACK

2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Ill never forget vorms cockup at arsenal gifting them a goal to draw with us when we were cruising for an away win against a big club....it felt like a defeat....<ok>

3. swanseaandproud

Alan Curtis's goal against leeds in our very first league game in the top flight in Div one....he had not long returned from playing for leeds so it was a bitter sweet way of telling them he was home where he belonged

4. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

Bloody hell that is your most memorable moment ?

For me it's the hull game and Thomas , without him scoring that hattrick we'd have been relegated to the conference, how things would have been today.

5. Crackerjack

Crackerjack Active Member

Moore's goal against Man City was so emotional for me , it seemed almost slow motion & unreal ... took a while to believe it . .. Leon Britton will always be my favorite player

6. swanseaandproud

valley what is the title of the thread..<doh> there are many many memorable moments in my 54 years of watching the swans,..far to many to mention and far to many i cant recall......so yes it is one of my memorable games that is not necessary my top one...<ok>

7. swanseaandproud

favorite player.........To many to mention but Curtis will be among them........

8. swimaway

swimaway Well-Known Member

Aged 13 and the first time I ever walked up from Oystermouth Rd, through Sandfields towards the Vetch on matchday with my mates. The crowd and buzz building all the time.
    The feeling of the unknown and anticipation while queing at the turnstiles. Then the sheer rush and awe as I walked through the tunnel under the North bank wben the old stadium and all its it glories and noise really hit me for the first time.
    Then the match starts and the sense of oneness as I broke into chants with the crowd, even though new to me, sprouting forth as if they had been hidden in the recesses of my brain like some ancient memory.
    Then we score .... The crowd surge. The elation. The adrenalin. The beginnings of a SCFC junky.

Oh and Robbie James -the Greatest

9. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

so many highs from the Toshack team to the hull game and hammering Leeds when they first visited the liberty,Tates 30 yarder goal to pratts wonder goal and the wins against the bloobirds to our wembley history game and the huge scalps after . But best memories of players as said Robbie and Curtis but No. 1 for entertainment has to be Trundle at his best and a long list of others before and after !

10. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

Same here.

Ivor's goal in his testimonial against Revie"s great Leeds team

11. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

my favourite moment will be when i finally set foot in the Liberty and absorb the atmosphere (if i can get a ticket)

12. valleyswan

valleyswan Active Member

Most normal people Would put a positive memory for a game, I guess you like to focus on the negatives <doh>

13. Pete from Crete

Pete from Crete Active Member

We lost that game with the gooners Dai!

14. Pete from Crete

Most memorable moment- the refs whistle for full time at Anfield Feb 1964 when we had beaten Liverpool 2-1 FA Cup quarter final.Liverpool ended season as Champions of the old First Div. My favourite was Herbie oo ,oo, Willams .

15. Pete from Crete

Herbie Williams - also.

16. Dilligaf

Dilligaf New Member

Dai,

That game we lost 1-0 !! It was Arshavin that scored for them

17. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Favourite moment - difficult to say. Saw my first Swans game in 1966 and there have been many highs and many lows along the journey. Wembley last year is obviously right up there, but I also have fond memories of Tosh's home debut, beating Spurs in the League Cup, the Hull game etc.

Favourite player - again difficult to give one name. When I was young, Ivor and Herbie were real favourites of mine. Later Curt & Robbie.

18. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Most memorable moment, difficult so many but, have to say when Scotty put the 4th away with minutes to go. Reality started to set in that we had reached the mecca of football and time to mix it with the big boys. Valley with you on the Hull game. More on that Coatesy actually made a tackle, i think it was the first one he made all season and slipped the ball through to thomas who chipped the keeper. not sure whether it was the 3rd or 4th goal. That was the most nerve wracking game bar none.

Favourite player, Roger Freestone had to be one of the most underated goalkeepers.

19. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Lots of good ones here but without a doubt in over 40 years of supporting the Swans it has to be the whole Wembley experience last year, including Sinclair and Dobbie's stellar displays and meeting Rodgers and all the players in Morgan's afterwards. What a day. For me nothing else comes close.

Too many to choose from re favourite player, from Curtis, James and in more recent times Bodde, Scotland and Sinclair (we largely owe our promotion to him imo). An impossible task really but what a great position to be in that we have such a wide choice.

20. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

Player? For me it's Ivor, of course, and from the same era, Cliff Jones. We all know about Ivor but, if Cliffy was playing today, he would be a superstar at ANY of the top clubs in Europe. Yes, he was that good. Got a video somewhere about the "Greatest ever Spurs team". There was a panel, including Terry Venables, who concluded when they spoke about Cliffy that he would be the FIRST name down on that hugely illustrious team sheet. Alan Mullery said he was so fast, he could catch pigeons. Add in that he was great in the air, scored lots of goals as a winger, took penalties and you have one hell of a player.

More recently, I have to put Curt and Robbie right up there as well but WORLD class.......? Cliffy undoubtedly was and the world's greatest team of their day, Real Madrid, complete with Ferenc Puskas, Alfredo di Stefano and Gento were desperate to sign him in an era when British players were rarely deemed good enough to play for the very top European clubs. Believe me he was some player. Good enough for today? Oh, YES!!

Can't separate my favourite games. Boils down to three. Clinching promotion at PNE; beating "mighty" Leeds 5-1 in our debut First Division game and, of course, our triumph at Wembley. Many highly commended matches including our Autoglass win against Huddersfield at Wembley and the games during both our stints at the top level where we beat the top, established teams in the division. A lifetime of fabulous memories from my beloved Swans.