1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Mourinho...how long will he be given?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Jan 1, 2020.

?

How long will he be given?

1. Til we go out of the CL?

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Til the end of the season?

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. Til next Oct/Nov?

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  4. Will be a success so irrelevant?

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Even if Kane is fit, the club needs a striker, especially if Jose doesn’t rate Parrott.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Kane’s injury has just strengthened the need for another striker. We shouldn't have really gone into the season with just one senior striker. If we couldn’t persuade Llorente to stay, we should’ve signed someone else, even if it were a carbon copy of Llorente with regards to an ageing target man.

Hence why I believe we should’ve had one on Jan 1st to have rectified for the inability to get one in the summer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That may have been the case for Poch but I still personally wouldn’t have been comfortable with just one legitimate senior central striker in Kane. Even if Llorente wouldn’t have fit into the new style of play we should’ve had someone who could. Parrott was/ is still too young to be considered a first team member in my opinion (bar a domestic cup appearance) whilst I’m not keen on Son/ Lucas being the makeshift backups.

As for Jose’s approach, I think it’s still early doors to determine what our style and formation will be going forward. He’s had too many injuries to contend with to get a real consistent run going. But just like under Poch, I’d like for us to have a proper understudy to Kane and not a makeshift option regardless of the style/ tactics. It seems like Jose wants one himself judging by comments and I hope/ expect Levy to get it done pronto because it’s pretty telling how bad we are up top at the moment in Kane’s absence.

4. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

If we intended to play the diamond (with it actually working...) that would have made Son another striker, given the system doesn't use wingers, so the logic of it works - at least until it gets to using Lucas as a deeper striker as he's simply not suited for the role...but there was no chance Poch would have sold him in the summer because the fanbase would've erupted in fury at the thought of our manager doing his job (as they did with Rose, Vertonghen and Eriksen throughout August)

Arguably that falls on Poch, though, as after years of 4231 (with a brief flirtation with three at the back) completely changing the system overnight was always going to make for a tough transition period even if the entire team was playing nice

5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

This is a pretty decent article on Mourinho...

https://www.skysports.com/football/...os-tottenham-test-will-he-evolve-his-approach

It doesn't concentrate on what he's done before, which is truly of little importance at this point. It coulld be as much a hinderance as a help.

He's not at a club like most of those he's been at before. He's not going to be able to go out and buy a team to fit how he's played before. He's having to do things he'd not got the experience of from previous jobs, for example, he's going to have to adjust what he thinks to what certain players can realistically do. I think he's been far, far too attacking in his line-ups for certain games - mostly the away ones, where Dier's lack of mobility and the vast hole on the right side has cost us. It's as though he's been trying to prove his attacking credentials to someone, possibly to himself.

Now he's our manager, I want him to succeed. I don't want to think that he's not picking some young players, so as to prove that we need to buy more senior ones...mostly because I doubt that it will make any difference to Levy and we would be better off if he just picked the most appropriate players currently available.

We need European football, not a stand off for the rest of this month. Parrott needs to be on the bench tomorrow night, in case we need a goal in the second half. He's no ****ing good to anyone if he isn't and it makes little sense not to do it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  6. "Thanks for that Brian"

So it begins...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/10791761/jose-mourinho-unrest-tottenham-players/

I've no idea if it's true or totally made up.

Unfortunately, it's not being totally ridiculed and given our performances in the first half of most games, it just could be true. The players haven't downed tools completely but tonight, Mourinho needs a proper performance, from the off and a win. If we don't win tonight, it looks pretty damn bad.

The games following tonight are:

FAC - Southampton (A)
    PL - Man C (H)
    PL - Villa (A)
    CL - Leipzig (H)
    PL - Chelsea (A)

The way that we've been playing leaves little confidence, even for the Villa game. The rest...?

Hmmmm.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I hope it’s true and he convinces Levy to bin 95% of them off. Might be the only way we’ll get some signings done and get some fresh blood into this stale group.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  8. Stokenchurch yid

Stokenchurch yid Well-Known Member

Well one things for sure he has been playing players out of form and out of position on numerous occasions and we should have accumulated more points since his arrival so not much has changed since he arrived, I didnt want him in the first place but I will back him to hopefully get things right and if he doesn't levy has a major decision at the end of the season stick or bust .time will tell.COYS

9. "Thanks for that Brian"

The problem is that it's going to take a minimum of a couple of years to do that. At most, we'll see 6 come in. So that replaces Vertonghen, Foyth, Eriksen, Wanyama, KWP, maybe Dier and possibly a couple of surprise departures...Please not Kane or Son!

That doesn't alter a great deal, as most of them are so bad, that their playing time is diminishing.

He's got to get into the heads of the rest to build something and he needs to do it soon because we're not United or Chelsea, who can just absorb the loss of income from no European football. I'm in no doubt that there are enough good players for a top 6 finish. He just needs to start putting out teams and players to start winning some ****ing points.

Stokenchurch yid likes this.
  10. "Thanks for that Brian"

/\ This.

remembercolinlee likes this.

11. humanbeingincroydon

Funny how there's no mention of this on r/coys

It's almost as if they're in denial that, having demanded he take over basically since the Newcastle game, it turns out that he's not actually suited for the club...

12. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I don’t really care how long it takes now. If we have to go back five years to rebuild so be it, just bin most of these off.

I blame Poch for being too loyal to this squad that he failed to see the weaknesses, I blame Levy for allowing us to stagnate by focusing too much on the business side of things, I blame Jose for not showing us anything that makes him the “special one” and I even blame fans for championing mediocre players because that 100% gets translated to the club and allows a sense of complacency to settle in but ultimately most of my blame goes towards these players who no longer play for our badge.

We could’ve hired Jose/ Allegri/ ten Haag/ Alan ****ing Pardew when Poch was sacked and I don’t think it would’ve made any big of difference. Initially I thought a new manager would change things but I think I was being naive, I still think sacking Poch was right because he allowed this to happen but our first priority must be to sack 95% of this squad of now and the quicker we can do it the better.

Aurier, KWP, Foyth, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dier, Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, Eriksen, Dele and possibly Lucas too - see you later.

13. humanbeingincroydon

One thing is certainly worth thinking about regarding the article

Are there any players in the team with a history of blabbing to the papers when they don't get their own way?
    Are there any players in the team who have recently fallen out with the manager?
    Is there one name that immediately sprang to mind for both questions?

14. Stokenchurch yid

Stokenchurch yid Well-Known Member

<rose> By any chance <laugh>

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Bad day at the office mate?

remembercolinlee and Dier Hard like this.
  16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Actually easy day as it goes <laugh>.

Just done with these players. Can’t perform under two top managers so it tells me everything I need to know.

Lovearsenalcock and BobbyD like this.
  17. humanbeingincroydon

Some of them have extenuating circumstances, most obviously a centre back will look like the drizzling ****s when there's no DM shielding them, which is why I always bring up how various Old606 posters were demanding we bin off Michael Dawson when he had Zokora in front of him, yet lauding him as a model defender when he had one of Palacios/Parker/Sandro in front of him

On the other hand, some don't: Wanyama's broken beyond repair and is basically a drain on our wage bill at this point, Rose can **** the **** off and keep ****ing off when he thinks he's finished ****ing off at this point, Aurier seems to exist for the sole purpose of giving us anxiety, and Eriksen's been done for six months at this point and there' no reason for us to keep pandering to him...but we keep pandering to him anyway

18. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

19. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

exactly

absolutely sick of molly coddling these under achievers

Much prefer Mourinhos approach than Poch’s Lemon sniffing, daddy cuddling approach. In the long run that made us complacent...ohh well, we tried, daddy will be proud of us for trying.

Not enough under Jose and some seem to be buckling under the raised standards...always question the minerals

Dier Hard likes this.
  20. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

DM or no DM, the amount of times Toby has lost his marker or literally ran away from an attacker is purely on him, whilst Jan’s legs have seemingly aged 5 years since the summer.

A DM will certainly help but our main two CBs have been shoddy beyond belief. And to make things so much better, we’ve given one a new 3 and a half year contract on £150k+ a week.