1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread NCFC vs Wigan Athletic, Aug 6th, 12.30 k.o.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Aug 5, 2022.

?

Who's going to win.

1. Norwich

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Wigan

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. draw

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Farke was working with a bunch of German misfit free transfers and youth in the beginning.

We have several Internationals and big money signings now .
    Tell me how much that 2017 squad was worth compared to the 2022 ?

At this level we are shopping at Waitrose where as Farke was barely getting Lidl ingredients.

2. DUNCAN DONUTS

As a Norwich "supporter" 1 win in the last 20 competive games under Smith , against Burnley is not good enough.

There were signs of promise today but we look worse than our last Championship season so far .

Smith has won 4 out of our last 29 league fixtures including the last 2 .

Pathetic

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The point about Giannoulis is that it leaves us with one LB until Dimi is fit again. I know Byram can also play at LB, but he's also injured. Sørensen can play at LB, but that takes away our only DM option until Hayden is fit again.

Omobamidele did have a good game except for failing to pick up the run of McClean for their goal, which, as things turned out, was a major omission. We have to build in contingencies for when mistakes happen.

McLean had a very good game on both sides of the ball, but I'd go for Max as MotM because of the goal and the penalty we should have had.

It was an improvement, but considering we were at hope, I had hoped for better than only 4 of our 22 shots being on target.

4. RiverEndRick

I felt the same about the signing of Sara and Núñez and we only got an introduction to the latter, given he's only been here for a few days. We also got a glimpse of Sara late on and I really do hope they can shift us to rapid attacks and counterattacks, but it wasn't much in evidence today. Our goal came out of a really good move and I really hope we see more of that in future, but it's still a hope for now.

5. DUNCAN DONUTS

I saw a stat that Smith has only won 6 out of 31 games at Norwich .
    Last season he had excuses

6. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

Remind me again how he's an upgrade on Farke?

DUNCAN DONUTS likes this.
  7. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

8. RiverEndRick

The passes aren't quick enough, but that was also true most of the time under Farke when possession was prioritised over attacking threat. That is not what Smith says he wants but it too often looks the same to me. It's early days, but I really hope that Sara and Núñez can make a difference and restore the quick passing moves we so desperately need. Moving from 4-3-3 to 4-2-3-1 yesterday should have helped, but there was no consistent rhythm or pace established. Let's hope this is just our traditional slow start but it certainly doesn't look good so far.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  9. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

Don't totally agree with you about Todd DD. When attacking at pace once the ball reached him it all stopped while he made his mind up what to do. With the ball at his feet he is excellent, but his speed of thought seems to be poor.

10. DUNCAN DONUTS

If anything he's trying too hard to impress , he's wanting to take all the corners and dead balls .
    He's tracking back and niggling in defense, the constant diving and play acting is annoying though

11. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Generally agree, but I don’t know that it was invisible - there were some glorious moments in the Cup, albeit run from midfield by Maddison

Farke had the advantage that he picked up a long-time creaking team though and in financial trouble, so there was inevitably more patience, but he did come close to the sack if rumours are true.

12. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Is it a coincidence that that move didn't at any stage involve Cantwell? It was -- as I recall -- Gibson to Núñez, immediately forward to unmarked Pukki, short run forward drawing defence then across to Rashica, immediate short pass into unmarked Aarons' path. That's exactly what DS is looking for and the goal a replica of many scored by his Villa side.
    And I'd agree with most of that. I'd also say, though, that what DS is trying to implement isn't invisible either. That it isn't more evident is due IMO firstly to not yet having had "his" signings available (Núñez yesterday was actually the first, but managed on his own to make a difference); and secondly, difficulty in changing the mindset of maintaining possession at all times -- which leads to constant recycling backwards, and forward momentum being slowed or halted.
    "Trying to impress" or "wanting to be the main man"? If the latter is how he sees himself, then I think he needs to go (and the arrival of young Ramsay suggests to me that DS perhaps thinks so too).
    Re. the set pieces, at the first free kick we got, out on the right, Cantwell appeared to pull rank on Núñez, who was also in attendance. Maybe Cantwell was the designated player, but the fact is that Núñez is excellent with set piece deliveries, and specifically mentioned that aspect of his play when asked about himself on signing. I can see Núñez taking our set pieces in future, rather than Cantwell.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  13. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I was most vociferous about sacking Farke for Smith. But having done it we really need to give Smith a decent chance. I will judge after ten games. If we are mid table or above it's ok.

14. RiverEndRick

I see it as Cantwell wanting to demonstrate his commitment to the cause rather than "being the main man". I don't think DS wants him to go or sees Ramsey as his replacement unless Ramsey turns out to be another Maddison. He'll probably get a chance in the Cup and then we'll begin to see what he might offer. As for Núñez, we've only seen the YouTube compilations showing his best moments. That's not enough until he shows that ability in training and on the pitch and DS designates him as free kick and corner taker. The last thing we want is another Tzolis situation.

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

I believe Cantwell is trying to impress and repay the fans for giving him another chance .

He probably covered more ground than most and put a shift in.

He was the last player to leave the field applauding all 4 sides of fans which was well received by us .

Only Robbie knows what was going on in Tod's head of course .

SuffolkCanary and RiverEndRick like this.
  16. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Which of course explains why I phrased it as a question (with a question mark in case it wasn't clear). And followed it with an "If". But then, only you know what is going on in my head apparently.

17. DUNCAN DONUTS

Yes you are purposely overly negative or contrary that is patently obvious.

You very rarely contribute when things are going well

18. Bure budgie

Bure budgie Well-Known Member

Likes a question mark does Robbie.
    Covers every base

Golden Eadie 2 and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  19. DUNCAN DONUTS

It would be Watford style stupid to fire him after the first 2 League games but I believe 1 win in his last 20 games is living on borrowed time form .

Bure budgie likes this.
  20. RiverEndRick

The 'If' also leads to an unsupported assertion:

"If the latter is how he sees himself, then I think he needs to go (and the arrival of young Ramsay suggests to me that DS perhaps thinks so too)."

That suggests a knowledge of DS's thinking based on mere supposition. Ramsey on loan is more likely a means of providing low cost cover in midfield.