1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Net spends since Rafa took charge

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Rafa will get every single penny we have available

So far we've had -45 million available

3. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Be fair there are Clubs and Managers who have had it worse than Rafa. I mean look at Swansea and Norwich and what they have achiev...oh, well maybe not...

But there are others who’ve almost had it as bad like the Mackems and Hull City and they’ve done alrig..oh, well...erm...

May sound a fanboy but anyone criticising Rafa for where we currently are just need their head examining...seriously.

4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Please take this down...

As a Rafa basher this is very bad for my argument that he has failed in the transfer market with his players signed and is a tactical moron.

5. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Rafa did very well last season, but has done **** so far this season.

Nobody expects him to be challenging the top 8, as we know the financial restrictions, but it remains salient that we have played poorly and can't string two passes together, some of the subs have been baffling, the tactics defeatist, and we have 2 points and the worst start to a league campaign.

We have played a lot of the best teams, but we unjustly got the 2 points we have. Improvement is needed, and Rafa showed he could get the best out of the same players last year.

6. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

And the winner of the Biggest Understatement of the Year award goes to

upload_2018-10-1_11-21-48.jpeg

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  7. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

C'mon Jesus, sorry Rafa, you haven't performed another miracle for a while now!!!!!

:evil:

8. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

This looks wrong, where have you got it from? Most sources seem to suggest we've made a profit of between 16-18m since he took charge. Some of it skewed by relegation of course and the vast sums we recouped from relatively few sales (90m).

Obviously regardless its disappointing that we are making profits on transfer while the squad is clearly of a very poor standard.

TheJudeanPeoplesFront likes this.
  9. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

I took it off twitter so deffo will be true.

10. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

That is the bit that annoys me. I wouldn't care less if Ashley turned a profit consistently but not to the detriment of the squad. We are poor at the mo, think someone said previously, they would prefer we did no business this summer except for cover Lejeune and replace Merino who wanted to go. I'm thinking they are bang on!!

Warmir Pouchov and G4rdToonArmy like this.

11. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

From memory, we sold £80m worth of players and spent £50m when we were relegated, so there's -£30m. Spent nowt in Jan that season. Spent +£15m net after promotion. Spent nowt in Jan that season. Made £25m profit this summer. So £40m worth of value has been stripped out of the squad since he took over by my (unofficial) reckoning.

Unfortunately any doubt about Ashley's intentions have been wiped away this summer and he has proven himself to be a liar. "Rafa can have every penny" vs a transfer budget of zero (minus £25m in fact). Even if there was no money available which I believe to be complete and utter bullshit, making that statement he knows he is giving the impression that money will be there to build the squad. So he's a lying **** and his gamble of not fixing our goal scoring problems will most likely blow up in his face. I take his showing up at games recently as him being concerned about being relegated yet again - but even a spending spree in Jan may not fix the underinvestment and suicidal transfer policy he has forced on the club.

12. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Meh. Hughton did it.

I think if we peaked at one of the threads before the season started, nobody had us as having the worst squad. Negative net spend does not mean no spend <whistle>

Rafa needs to get his **** together and start motivating this group. They look defeated before they take the field.

13. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

He probably will when we stop playing teams that are vastly better than us.

14. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

No he didn’t.

He got us promoted and so did Rafa.

Then he was sacked not long into the next season. He didn’t get us to 10th and he didn’t see a second PL season as our manager.

Sorry to throw facts into the discussion I know how annoying they can be.

15. CarolAncelotti

16. Albert's Chip Shop

Forum Moderator

<laugh>

Evening Marrow.

17. CarolAncelotti

Good night savoy cabbage

J. J. McClure likes this.
  18. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Don't think he did overly well last season as I don't think he did well in the Championship season. I think he has achieved par for the course and it looked very good on paper as we had a bit of luck (Brighton choking in the Champ and beating Chelsea final day last year).

Looking at it it all seems very average but that's all you can expect when you have a poor-average squad. We snuck past the 40 point safety line last season and were fortunate there was a load of dross around that couldn't hit it, again if we hadn't beaten Chelsea we'd have been on 41 points and on another year probably been a lot closer to 18th than 10th.

We've sold a net £20m of talent this season so what does that look like when it comes to points on the board? We'll be lucky to get 32-35 points this season and where 35 would have kept us up last year I highly doubt it will this season.

This would be I.

The matter of fact as I say above is that we haven't even "stood still" in the window, we've gone backwards to the tune of £20m - replaced a £20m striker with a £9m striker who can't yet play in the league by Rafa's account, Replaced a £10m midfielder with a relegated free transfer etc etc.

The real problem I see from the table above is we are £170m - let me type that one out ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY MILLION pounds behind Brighton who we came up with since Rafa came in. 10 players who'd have broken our current transfer record at £17m a piece - a whole outfield match day team. Oh and we'd still be pretty low on the "club record transfer" front at that price.

19. Warmir Pouchov

January investment will help but we've seen before ourselves, it guarantees nothing. I expect relegation. It will be due to Ashley of course but looking at Rafa and the players this season, the negative impact of Ashley's behaviour has crept into their performance too. Being blunt Rafa and the players are performing below what could be expected of them. I won't hold it against them though because it has been created by another.

20. Warmir Pouchov

<laugh>

J. J. McClure likes this.