1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Contract for Lambert

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Mike_Holmes1990, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Lambert has been given a contract to 2025. Hard not to assume that was the intention behind his moans. Thinking positively maybe the assurance of stability will galvanise the squad, but we must be the only club to continually reward failure. Get relegated, confirmation he will stay on. Promotion push in the midst of collapse, new contract.

It's bizarre.

Nuggets likes this.
  2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Utterly baffling timing, and such a strange decision to award a man partly responsible for our relegation and for overseeing this current bad run of form.

If this news had come in the summer, following promotion, I’d understand it more and be supportive. But does Lambert honestly deserve a five year contract extension? He’s done little to justify it in my opinion. We still have no idea what his favoured eleven or formation is, and he’s been in the job over a year.

I get the feeling he’s been angling for this over the past few weeks and he’s threatened to walk. Our idiotic owner has clearly capitulated and given Lambert what he wants. As Mike says, hopefully this stability can galvanise the squad and improve performances, but the length of Lambert’s contract surely cannot rectify the underlying issues with this team?

Spanish likes this.
  3. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

We haven’t won in the league since bonfire night and the solution is to give PL a new contract? I would definitely have given him to the end of the season and see where we end up but to give him another 5 years? Sorry, don’t understand that one

4. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Another of Evans’ baffling decisions,he’s done similar before and just seems to keep repeating the same mistakes.

5. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I like Lambert and think some of the expectations placed on him this season have been unfair, however I also find the timing of this confusing. Anyone remember when he offered Mick a new contract and that literally seemed to start the decline with him in charge

Nuggets likes this.
  6. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Very much what I was thinking of.

7. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Seems to me that Lambert has talked himself into being able to receive a bigger pay off if he gets sacked.
    There was no need for a contract extension after the current run of results.

Roystonblue and Bigalreigned like this.
  8. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Lambert is a decent manager at League One level. The problem isn't with him it's with your owner. To a certain extent you are in the same boat as us. We have decided not to spend any money but at least we are not in the same situation as Villa and West Ham having spent £100m + and still in danger of relegation. I must admit that I thought you lot were going to walk it earlier in the season. You just need the tight fisted fecker to put some trust in Lambert and give him some money. Good luck for the rest of the season.

9. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Marcus Evans has been the issue for about a decade. His string of poor managerial appointments, inability to implement a credible strategy for the club, lack of funding over the past several years, and his aversion to provide anything innovative off the pitch has made this club irrelevant. We have declined in effectively all aspects of the club, and this has culminated in relegation. On Evans’ watch, this club has become a bit of a laughing stock. The decision to reward Lambert with a new contract to 2025 - despite the fact that Lambert has contributed to our relegation and is without a league win since the first week of November - is baffling.

Lambert might have been a solid manager at this level a few years ago, but his season can be defined by inconsistency and confusion. Unlike a host of clubs at this level, we have no consistent strategy. Formations get changed week in, week out. Players are constantly rotated, regardless of injuries or form. We look predictable and stodgy in attack and our biggest goal threat often comes from set pieces. We have a strong squad for this level, but we have no discernible, credible attacking patterns. That’s all on the manager and his coaching staff. And they’ve been here over a year. While we don’t have a divine right for promotion, we do have a good squad at this level, and we should be looking better than what we are currently putting out.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  10. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Poor squad
    Poor manager
    Poor owner
    Pour me another<bubbly>

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

The good thing about January is I have several large Christmas bottles of whisky.

Southcoastoldgaffer and Spanish like this.