1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Head Coach rumours.

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Bolton's Boots, Apr 11, 2023.

1. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

That last bit was well known .

Only had a contract till the end of the season.

EDIT;

Seems they did thank him and his staff having just seen this on Twitter.

Probably a template they keep ready and then just inset the different names!

Most important thing now is to buy the right players to suit his style otherwise no point if we just get ones that suit the club.

It’s a shame to see so many negative comments already - give the bloke a chance at least.

I don’t think some are any better than the owners in terms of their patience!

Who were people hoping for ?

Last edited: May 11, 2023
    andytoprankin and Mexican Hornet like this.
  2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Some of the ‘fans’ are unbelievable really. I read one comment on social media a couple of days ago - from a guy ranting about how doomed we are, thanks to our debt FFP rules will see us with a transfer embargo next season, half the squad leaving & the other half useless, unable to sign anyone and having to rely on our current U21 players - a rant worthy of Private Frazer from Dad’s Army.

Last night he was back ranting about our new Head Coach - demanding to know why Gino wouldn’t spend big on a decent one...<doh>

3. Markthehorn

Well who knows how a manager will do with us as they either don’t stay long enough or don’t get the squad they want.

I mean the most unqualified guy we have had was probably the last one to get the best out of the team and winning games in Munoz !

People are complaining his style of play is outdated too (bit of an insult to GT ?)

Well cannot be any worse or ineffective than the tippy tap stuff we played this season !

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  4. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I don't mind the style of play, as long as the squad is built around that style, and we won't shift to a radically different style when we bring in the next head coach, whether that's after 10 games or three seasons. Lurching from one style to another with each coach is the problem I have, it means we don't have a cohesive team.

5. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

That’s been the most difficult thing to swallow. We’ve seen players seemingly not understanding, or not capable, of the latest style. This is what I stumble on in terms of coach recruitment - if this Italian setup is one of changing coaches, so be it. But I thought the idea was that it wouldn’t adversely affect the team?

duggie2000 and Mexican Hornet like this.
  6. Markthehorn

Presumably part of the conversation with Ismael was about what sort of players he’d want to see come in ?

7. Bolton's Boots

It seems to work well in Italy though - where even Success has been a success.

duggie2000 likes this.
  8. Luther

Luther Well-Known Member

Udinese have had only two managers since Pierpaolo Marino became their Sporting Director in June 2019.

9. Markthehorn

I guess their fans are happy with what progress has been made since he came in so there hasn’t been pressure for change?

Interesting that was in 2019 which is when our fans say the decline here started.

If only we had stayed up in 2020 - had a good squad and I liked Pearson.

But then Munoz got us promoted and looked what happened to him after the first sign of trouble.

10. F1Hornet

F1Hornet Well-Known Member

I liked him as a manager. Of course no squad is too good to go down, but that team really shouldn't have got relegated, but it shows a mid-table PL team is just one sub-standard season away from implosion. I do wonder if COVID hadn't happened whether things would have been very different.

Markthehorn likes this.

11. Mexican Hornet

Mexican Hornet Well-Known Member

Before actually reading them, when I saw new posts on this thread I though, no really?

Then it sadly dawned on me, Isamël might not even make it through pre-season.

Could he be the only manager to manage us and not manage a competitive game?

Maybe the Pozzos are thinking of taking sackings to the next level!

Last edited: May 17, 2023
  12. Markthehorn

Well never know with us !!

13. Bolton's Boots

I wonder if he was the 'unnamed German' mentioned in The Athletic?

upload_2023-5-19_13-35-54.png

14. Markthehorn

Ismael has done an interview with the Times .

Unfortunately it’s behind a pay wall.

Bit of it here .

Last edited: May 22, 2023
  15. Bolton's Boots

Fortunately, pay walls can be circumvented. https://archive.is/XMqfb

16. Bolton's Boots

Loosely related to new head coach rumours, but I didn't know where else to post this...

I read this article a couple of days ago and my first thoughts were - "Maybe Gino should read this - there's a lesson for him here."

It's about AFL club Richmond and their Head Coach Damien Hardwick, who has decided to step down from the role. He was appointed in 2009 when the club was in the doldrums and were basically the game's 'easy beats' - he lost his first nine matches in charge by some horrendous margins, but the hierarchy showed faith and kept him on. That faith was rewarded when he eventually led them to three premierships over the next ten years - their first for forty years - and increased club membership from 36K to over 100K, making them the best supported sporting team in Australia.

I doubt Gino would listen though...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05...saw-damien-hardwick-rise-to-the-top/102380760

Scullion likes this.
  17. Markthehorn

Troy probably ended his chances of getting a job with this comment about the Pearson sacking.

Personally don’t think it would have made much difference tbh ..

And Pearson had that supposed incident with Masina at West Ham of course.

18. Bolton's Boots

I'm not sure I agree with him - we simply weren't good enough then. Funny how history repeats itself...:(

My memory fails me - what happened at West Ham?

Markthehorn likes this.
  19. Markthehorn

Yes agree with Arsenal and Man City to play too.

Allegedly Pearson and Masina had a bust up but not really been confirmed (naturally) or denied.

I just don’t see why even the Pozzos would have sacked him with 2 games left just for losing to West Ham really but then they have form !

It all seemed rather pointless .

20. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

It was arteta fielding a weakened side against Villa then a full strength team against us that sticks in my craw. Take those points off Villa and get the draw at arsenal that the performance merited (dodgy VAR penalty if I recall) and we stay up. Irritating season on so many levels, also Mings 90+5 winner at Villa when he should not have been on the pitch a few weeks earlier...

duggie2000 likes this.