1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Newcastle United v Liverpool - Official Build Up / Match Day Thread

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Albert's Chip Shop, Oct 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

Newcastle United v Liverpool

Saturday 19th October 2013

Kick off 12.45pm @ SJP

Squad
    L Remy Knock (no return date)
    S Taylor Hamstring Injury (no return date)
    M Haidara Knee Injury (19th October)
    R Taylor ACL Knee Injury (no return date)

Betting (from PP)
    Liverpool to win 2-1 is 7/1
    Toon to win 2/1 is 10/1
    Jim..... Toon to win 3/1 is 25/1
    Toon to be winning 1-0 at half time and collapse to a 3-2 defeat is a whopping 175/1

Streams
    http://www.firstrow.org/

ACS's View
    I can see us losing 1-2 here. I just think Liverpool have too much quality and Remy is uncertain to take part at this point (hopefully he will figure). I can see Suarez figuring heavily and wouldn't put it past the diving chomper to 'buy' the winning goal via a 'penalty'​

2. Tasty Magpie

Tasty Magpie Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think we'll suffer a heavy defeat, conceding 3 or more goals. Colo and Williamson/Mbiwa vs Suarez and Sturridge? Having seen what Hull and Everton could manage against our defenders, I doubt things are going to be pretty.

3. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

They are lethal. I think we'll struggle. You never know what you'll get with us, and I suspect an early goal will see our soft centre rear its head again. I think they lack mental fortitude under pressure and Suarez/Sturridge will test any side.

4. 2010 tops dog

2010 tops dog Well-Known Member

5 months on from the last time we played them and became a national joke.

So has the board supported the issues of last year ??? NO

Has pardew been sacked ?? NO

Have we learned from last year NO

Have our players got any back bone ?? NO

Will we get punished for it ?? YES

Will it be a heavy result ?? YES

Will this effect our goal difference YES

Now repeat for the derby game

5. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Think this will be closer than you think.

Although we're winning games we are not playing brilliantly and we certainly haven't hit the heights of the last 10 or so games last year culminating in the heavy result in last years fixture.

Also Coutinho (who ripped you apart) will not be back from injury either.

You have managed to play yourself into form, but from reading this article it is clear you're still fragile underneath which makes me think if we can get the first goal you might fold.

If you score then you might be galvanised and get a result. Who knows.

Nice to see the OP focussing on Suarez <rofl>

6. 2010 tops dog

2010 tops dog Well-Known Member

Isn't that a sign of a top team tho, winning when not playing to well

7. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

Would like to see Mbiwa called back for this game, horses for courses and all that. With the mobility and speed of Suarez & Sturridge we need a quick back four, Mbiwa is much more mobile than Williamson and should therefore get the nod in this one. Liverpool play the ball on the deck and that's just not Williamson's strength.

I'd also recall Ben Arfa for either Gouffran or Cisse, I'd probably give Cisse one more chance to shine and if he fails I'd hook him for a good 4 or 5 games.

8. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Traditionally yes - but this is Liverpool! Our confidence has take a right bashing as a result of last 3-4 years and we're more pessimistic than optimistic.

Last season and to an extent the season before we often played some good football but just couldn't score. Eventually the opposition would get a chance, score, and then we'd struggle to recover.

Now we're lethal up front which means we're taking our chances and getting results even if we are not playing well.

Should be a good game.

9. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

It really won't be mate, I think it will 1-4 personally.

10. Warmir Pouchov

I know what you mean re:mobility, but I just feel the fragile entity we become when Mbiwa enters the fray is far too much of a risk. Willo did most of the organising on Saturday, and I'd rather risk his pace than Mbiwa's implosion (I can't actually believe I'm saying this). Saylor and Mbiwa are just too panic stricken to cope with Liverpool. We need organisation, to be compact and work really hard. I'd maybe bring Anita in for Sissoko. I wouldn't dare pick HBA for this one. I would like to be on the front foot against Liverpool but we have to learn from previous years. Space means problems. The last few years has seen Gerrard and Coutinho given the freedom of St James at various stages and we've been murdered for it. I'd consider asking Anita to do a hussling job on Gerrard. Sissoko was fairly non descript on Saturday so I don't think you'd be losing a great deal.

Coutinho is unlikely to be fit which is a massive bonus. Tiote will need to help his centre halfs with Sturridge/Suarez. They like to take turns dropping off and pulling wide. He should always be picking up one of them to allow a covering centre back.

They are taking a bit of solving with this three at the back too. The danger being that Cisse becomes very isolated. So Goufran and Remy are going to have to find ways of dragging them out by drifting in to out rather than the other way on all the time. We must not play in straight lines or they'll have a very easy day at the ofice.

I had a think about his game last night and came to the conclusion we need to be negative and annoy them.

11. Sharpe*

Sharpe* Senior Member

Well you've got some good players and home support so who knows?

You lot still loving Pardew then?!!

12. Beardsley's Rancid Sack

Beardsley's Rancid Sack Well-Known Member

Suarez and Sturridge will cut our defence apart on Saturday regardless of who plays in defence. I very much doubt Williamson will add the necessary steel to hold those two at bay.

13. Graham Carr's Binoculars

Graham Carr's Binoculars Well-Known Member

I just don't think our players have the know-how or discipline to carry such a game plan at home. I also don't think our supports would let us carry out this game plan, we'd be on their backs after 10 mins of Liverpool having all the ball etc. I get what you mean regarding Williamson, he made a huge difference. You could see him from the away end Saturday talking non stop to Debuchy and organsing both him and Gouffran defensively.

Maybe a 4-4-1-1. Could have Ben Arfa behind Remy in the hope one of the comes up with something special, Gouffran down one side with Anita/Jonas down the other. Good thing about us at the moment is that Pardew has plenty of options in midfield.

I do think Pardew needs to come up with a plan for their 3 at the back though. We need to try and isolate Sakho as from what I've seen he's still not up to speed with the pace of the English game. Need to get Remy playing off his shoulder.

14. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

Alas the same 'good players' who played against Hull CityRoverTigerAlbionUnited.

15. Keith Fit

Keith Fit Well-Known Member

I think our Cardiff game would work very well against Liverpool's wing backs. I personally don't know that 3-5-2 gets you anywhere (let's ask Wigan) and think it leaves your full back positions exposed. Ok if you're dominating, but you're suseptible to being put on the back foot as well as being susceptible to the counter (Southampton). They've mainly got where they are by playing lower teams and big teams at the right time. They have had probably the easiest start, on reflection, in the league. Their one big fixture was against a hugely underperforming Man U. Here's their record:

W:5 - Palace, Sunderland, Man U, Villa, Stoke
    D:1 - Swansea
    L:1 - Southampton

I remain hopeful that we play them when they have a false sense of security, that they somehow believe they're the 2nd best team in the country and that they feel the 0-6 drubbing is the benchmark. By contrast, I hope that the Newcastle team realise that 100% effort is required for every minute of every match. I'd want them to watch the Cardiff and Villa game, alongside the Everton and Hull matches, and realise what a difference it makes if they just give it some. I would leave Williamson out - this is one area that I think will let Pardew down, as he will be picked but I feel Willo struggles on the deck and Liverpool simply hate hitting anything above waist height. I totally agree that I would play Remy up against Sakho; he'll know him well and should dominate this area. I'd consider bringing Benny back on the right side of a front three, as L'pool will only play one wide player; tracking back happens in the middle rather than the wings. So, for me, it's near enough 4-3-3; Krul, Debuchy, Saylor, Colo, Santon, Tiote, Sissoko, Cabaye, Benny, Cisse, Remy.

16. Warmir Pouchov

I doubt it too. However Mbiwa is far less appealing alternative on current form and ability to communicate.

17. Warmir Pouchov

Sakho certainly looks the weak link at present. In time I think he'll come good for them but he looks the one most likely to get dragged around. I agree our tactical discipline is shocking. I just think I'd rather have a go at it than our usual all out attack which just results in a murderous demoralising defeat. That seems to have the more damaging effect long term with the fans. Liverpool and Sunderland are brought every next sentence at present and they were in a diferent season <laugh> Everytime we try to open our play out it becomes obvious we don't have the personnel to carry it out. The "have a go" mentality seems to morph into "get our arse tanned" in no time at all.

18. Tash | All hail Almiron

Tash | All hail Almiron Well-Known Member

We should play 4-3-3 and go for it. We have no chance in winning a midfield battle against Liverpool, and we will not keep a clean sheet.

Gouff---Remy---Ben Arfa

-------Cabaye--------

----Tiote---Anita------

Santon-Colo--Willo--Debuchy

----------Krul-------------

19. Agent Bruce

Agent Bruce Well-Known Member

Can't get much better than that Tash.

20. Warmir Pouchov

We say this every year against them and get torn a new one. Then everyone moans about how we gave Gerrard too much room and tried to be too attacking. I really think it is time to change tack and stop making the same mistake over and over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.