1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Arsenal manager ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Feb 27, 2018.

?

Who should the next Arsenal manager be ?

1. Leonardo Jardim

2. Carlo Ancelotti

3. Joachim Loew

4. Mikel Arteta

5. Massimo Allegri

6. Diego Simeone

7. Luis Enrique

8. Brenden Rodgers

9. Antonio Conte

10. Zinedine Zidane

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kanu's Skill

Kanu's Skill New Member

That's
    That's true.

2. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Soo there are reports Thomas Tuchel has turned down Bayern and is in talks to link up with Minislat at Arsenal.

I'm little confused about Tuchel. I mean he was fairly poor at Mainz and won nothing at Dortmund. (except one Cup)

Why the hype? .. He may have potential but he hasn't proved anything. Would be a big risk IMO.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    PINKIE likes this.
  3. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agree with that. Also wasn't there some issue with his attitude at Dortmund ?

4. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I also don’t think he would be the best choice. I really do think we need a proven, experienced manager next that can handle the pressures of succeeding AW. I still very much hope for Allegri, but I have a feeling Wenger will see out his contract.

lazarus20000, TheBear and PINKIE like this.
  5. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Agreed. One domestic cup in 7 years, even Wenger has a better record in what's arguably a tougher competition. Not sold on Tuchel at all. Also there was a massive bust up with Mislintat at Dortmund, which was part of the reason he came to us in the first place.

I've said it endlessly on here, but I do not want to see change simply for the sake of change. We have to replace Wenger with a manager with a proven track record and I think you're right about him seeing out his contract.

6. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

The problem is that the Arsenal Job, is not a great a job, despite what fans may think. Wenger's record over the past 4 years is not as bad as fans make out and if he wins the UEFA cup on the way out that would be 4 trophies in 5 years. Not the right trophies, but trophies none the less.

And the general opinion of the fans is that it just isn't good enough.

That is an astonishing level of expectation for an English club, where the competition is very open. I'm not saying that it is going to be impossible to find a manager, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few good candidates decided Arsenal was not for them.

I don't think Tuchel is headed to Arsenal. I think he turned down a new contract and the papers put 2 and 2 together and made 17. Let's face it, we are going to be linked with every manager looking for work from now until Wenger is gone. Get used to it.

7. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Disagree about the job not being a great job. It's one of the biggest jobs in football. On a par with managing Utd, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Real, Barca, Juventus, AC Milan. Arsenal are one of the biggest clubs in the world and our reach spreads out across the globe, we have a massive fan base, big stadium, plenty of funds and a board that will back the new man for the long term. It is one of the most attractive jobs in football.

Agree about the expectation levels being high though, and if Wenger wins the Europa league, then his record over the last few years will have been a decent one, albeit without ever looking likely to challenge for the Premier league title or Champions league, which rightly should be the standard that this club should aim for.

lazarus20000 likes this.
  8. blukyt

blukyt Well-Known Member

Arsenal is a big club but I think saying we are on par with Real, Barca, Chelsea, etc. is a bit of an exaggeration. These clubs operate with a expectation of winning the CL and their respective league trophies. Our board are happy with top 4. There's a big difference there. The Arsenal job should be exciting for anyone as there is an opportunity to bring Arsenal to this top tier of European football. Changing the mentality of the club and getting fans believing again that we can win the big prizes and not just happy to be there.

lazarus20000 and BobbyD like this.
  9. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Not really all that enthuasiastic about Tuchel.

PINKIE likes this.
  10. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

They do and we don't, but we should. That's the point I'm making really.

When we moved to the Emirates, the board promised us that it would enable us to compete at the very top with the likes of Real and Barca, so they need to make good on those expectations. Not saying we should get ****ty if we don't win it, but I want to see us competing with the best. We've allowed our expectations to be lowered over the last decade and now we can't even finish in the top 4.

11. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Who put Mikel Arteta up there? <laugh>

12. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I can't delete it <whistle>

13. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I still maintain that the level of expectation is what it is because we’ve stuck with the same man for so long that year after year does the same thing over and over again. (We still have not replaced Patrick vieira in 13 years). I really do believe that if we had 5 managers in the last 15 years we would have far more patience and be far less demanding. (Probably be more like Liverpool)

14. hrachoff

hrachoff New Member

Diego Simeone

15. ToledoTrumpton

Expectations are a very hard thing to define, because they are so dependent on optimism and pessimism. I mean that people who supported Wenger like I did, had higher expectations than people who wanted him out. My annual optimistic predictions clearly demonstrate that.

That seems to run contrary to your point. I kind of understand what you are saying, but I think calling it "Expectations", is somewhat insulting and divisive, and I know it was not intentionally so.

I think what you are talking about is how risk averse we got. The club and the fans that supported Wenger were very unwilling to risk the (seemingly guaranteed) minimum performance we were having, for an unguaranteed, unknown, but presumably better chance of winning more.. I am happy to admit I am very risk averse. It is a problem I have grappled with all my life, in everything I have personally done from sport to business.

I realize "Expectations" rolls off the tongue better, but now that we are getting a much better consensus on Wenger's fate, we should perhaps make an effort to solidify our support and be more conciliatory.

Diego likes this.
  16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think a club of Arsenal's stature should be expecting to at least challenge for the league and compete in the champions league each season.

That's what I mean by expectations.

17. ToledoTrumpton

Well we all expect that, or at least I do, and that doesn't lead to any dispute. The problem isn't what we expect, it is with the team meeting expectations.

18. goonerred

goonerred Member

Anyone else think that whoever comes in will find it difficult after Wenger has been there for so long? The media is going to compare and contrast his every little move, The players also will be watched, has he improved or was he better under Wenger? Could be a tricky period straight after.
    Would be great if someone could come in and get all the players working for him, get in some players in the position we're lacking in, and start getting good results.

TheBear likes this.
  19. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

It's going to be a hard role to fill.

Think about this if we win the Europa League this Season Wenger would have won three FA Cups and a Europa League in the last 5 years. ..And the fans are unhappy with this(myself included) What most Arsenal fans want is what we had in the early days under Wenger.. but with Guardiola, Klopp and Mourinho all in the same league that's highly unlikely.

ToledoTrumpton likes this.
  20. goonerred

goonerred Member

It would be just nice to challenge for the League or at least not be out of it by Christmas.

TheBear likes this.