1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Niall Quinn: FAI interim deputy CEO to step down

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Dave_39, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

Football Association of Ireland interim deputy CEO Niall Quinn has stepped down after eight months in the role.

Quinn's decision comes three days after interim chief executive Gary Owens revealed he was not interested in taking the job on a permanent basis.

The former Republic of Ireland striker and ex-Sunderland chairman joined in January with the FAI in crisis after liabilities of 62m euros were revealed.

Quinn will remain available to the FAI until a permanent CEO is named.

"When I joined the association with Gary back at the end of January, we wanted to protect jobs and help implement real structural change within the FAI for the betterment of the Irish game," Quinn said.

"With the successful vote for change at last Monday's EGM and the completed restructuring of day-to-day roles in HQ, the game can now look forward to a more productive future.

"Even though these changes were met with resistance by a small minority of constituents, the way is now clear for a new incoming CEO to drive football forward again.

"I will remain close to Irish football and I wish all of my colleagues the very best of luck in the coming weeks and months as more important changes are implemented to make our game and our association strong again."

The FAI was sent into crisis when details of a 100,000 euro 'bridging loan' given to the association by former CEO John Delaney emerged in March 2019.

This led to a restructuring of the association's executive committee, who were forced to contend with the risk of insolvency amid debts reportedly worth more than £50 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54058011

2. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Reckon Quinny would be a good DOF

3. goldfinger

goldfinger Well-Known Member

No doubt he has been exceptional for SAFC over the years. I would be really surprised if he decided to come back to us. I get the impression that the last stint very much took a lot out of him.

Having said that I’d be very happy to see him come back.

clockstander and C19RK73 like this.
  4. C19RK73

I would love him to be apart of the club again in some capacity

5. Northumberland Rocks

Northumberland Rocks Well-Known Member

Perhaps a role like David Jones.

C19RK73 likes this.
  6. goldfinger

goldfinger Well-Known Member

No doubt it would be great to have him back, get that magic carpet dusted off!

C19RK73 likes this.
  7. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Jesus! He was an awful chairman. I want him nowhere near any financial dealing if SAFC!!

BRMC likes this.
  9. C19RK73

A DOF doesn’t necessarily deal with financials mate

The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between the manager and the board and may relieve pressure on a manager by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing a manager to focus on on-pitch performance. The director may also help to stabilise the club – many examples exist of director stepping in as a caretaker manager on the departure of the manager. The director – often an experienced football figure – may also positively advise a less experienced manager or the board of a less well developed club.

In contrast, there are many examples of tensions arising between director and manager, often due to questions over the remit and powers of the two positions; particularly with regard to control over transfer policy. This had led to many well publicised and often, highly damaging disputes within clubs.

In general, directors of football are not shareholders in the club, or hold a nominal stake. This is opposed to other members of the board with whom the director of football will sit.

10. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

nicely put, pointing out both sides of the DoF argument.

it CAN work but a manager has to be able to work with someone else looking for targets and they both have to be 100% on board with a style of play, then comes the trust...the manager has to trust the DoF is looking to get him the right players at the best possible deal for the club and not just buying from 'old friends'.

the DoF has to know he can trust the manager to play those players if not, then he finds it hard to sell the club to future prospects...if one element of trust is lost then the whole relationship is in jeopardy as well as the team.

people tend to point out the times it has worked for a club but i reckon there are as many failures out there as well...having said that, having SNQ back in some 'none integral part' could be a big boost to the club at the minute

11. BRMC

BRMC Well-Known Member

Not for me. His transfers history with Roy and Bruce was all over the place.

The best place for NQ at any club is in an ambassador role.

marcusblackcat likes this.
  12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Possibly but I just don’t think his transfer business or contacts in the game are anywhere near what we will need going forward. As mentioned an ambassadorial role would be ideal. Keep him away from playing staff recruitment though for me as he’s not very good at it!!