1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

No England Player Could Get in Welsh Team

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Jun 15, 2016.

1. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/bale-no-england-player-team-135015149.html

Bale has suggested that no player in the England squad are good enough to play for Wales. Not always wise to be arrogant before a game....I don't remember any England player saying anything so inflammatory before playing even very lowly sides. Could be taken as how good he thinks his team mates are...fair enough, but worthy of discussion.

2. Pelletron

Pelletron Well-Known Member

Press hype. On Radio 4 this morning, they were saying how Bale was smiling when he said it.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  3. ImpSaint

ImpSaint Well-Known Member

Good humour from Gareth there. I think bar Ramsey and Bale the England squad is much better than the Wales squad. Wales play to their strengths and are a team unit working for each other (like Saints). England don't play to their strengths and most of the players work for themselves not the team (not like Saints.)

It would not surprise me if Wales do beat us but we will have the most attempts because with selfish players like Sterling and Kane shooting on sight and rarely passing we will have loads of attempts.

KillerCephalopod likes this.
  4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

That's because they are English, not Welsh. Seems obvious really :biggrin:

5. fran-MLs little camera

Ah, but was it an evil sneer. :) He said earlier that England lack passion.

6. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

He's on the wind up - if you watch when he was asked/responded to these things, he was absolutely having a giggle with the press.

7. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

I saw the bit of interview when he said it and he was definitely laughing.

8. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

He said it in jest to be fair. Although I am really worried about the game.

I do think he had a point - Wales do appear to have more passion for the national team. England players are all prima-donnas, with little team spirit. Exactly why I was looking forward to having the Leicester boys in there (drinkwater/Vardy), but Hodgson just picks his favourite 'big' names.

9. fran-MLs little camera

I said he might just be praising his team mates, but I was interested to see how many thought it was true on a player for player basis. The only thing for sure is that I would like Bale in our team.

10. Saint Helen

Saint Helen Well-Known Member

Totally a wind up - he was having great fun when, as he said, some England players "bit". England shouldn't be so sensitive, no-one (especially Bale!) believes what he said but it was a good giggle with - I think - a Welsh journalist. Remember, Wales as a team and a country are having fun at this tournament as it's been so long since we've been at a Finals.

Archers Road likes this.

11. fran-MLs little camera

The main problem is that England supporters enter tournaments to win it rather than enjoy it. And England should have done better over the years....we usually qualify well, then fade. Think how many teams have no expectation of winning a tournament, especially the World Cup, but enter regardless. A bit like being a Manchester United or Chelsea supporter....high expectations not always fulfilled.

12. Saint Helen

Oh, the Welsh team are there to win it (no matter how unlikely that is) and Chris Coleman has made it clear that the players have to take it seriously but it probably helps that the press - especially the British press - expects nothing from them. Maybe if this wasn't the first time for us to qualify for a major tournament in so long the same kind of pressure would make the Welsh players as dour and unsmiling as the England ones are :p

13. fran-MLs little camera

The England team always have massive pressure on them...only comfortable wins are good enough for the press. Roy makes a tactical decision about Rooney and he is assumed to have thrown the game away. You cannot make the assumption that removing one player leads inevitably to a goal in the 2nd minute of injury time. Rooney was starting to lose the ball at the time he was subbed...he's a pensioner for heaven's sake. If he'd stayed on the pitch and we lost...that would have been Roy's mistake as well. We can all manage in hindsight.

While Wales supporter's dream of winning and why not, they will also be happy with performing well and taking part in this tournament. The England team won't be congratulated on that. In fact, the last time I remember that happening was Italia 90...all pressure was off and we did well and everyone looked like they were enjoying it.

crusti and Island Saint like this.
  14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

This thing people have about England, where they say "They have no passion, only care about their club sides as they are the ones who make them rich" winds me right up.
    Did you see the players reactions to Dier's goal? Tournaments like these mean so much to the players and the desperation to win for themselves and indeed the fans is pretty obvious. They are under huge pressure to perform well and it's clear to see how much they do want to win

15. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Absolutely. The media jump on everything and this was a golden chance to make them look stupid. Which they invariably are in these situations.

16. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Bale = WUM.

17. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi :)

18. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Well no, he doesn't. He's proved plenty of times that if you're playing well enough you get picked. Roy's team selection has been pretty bold on the whole. Bit strange that he gets criticised for playing the winner of the Golden Boot up top, but that's England fans for you.

19. Saint Helen

Absolutely :emoticon-0157-sun:

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

I put that into google translate and got "what's this round thing balls are egg shaped"?