1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Norwich v Chelsea

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ThaiCanary, Mar 1, 2016.

1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

That is why some were scared but ask the question - did Chelsea over-run us with their midfield 5 when City changed to 4-4-2? I think the answer is - no, they did not and that has been the case in each game when we have played that way.

I would not play it for away games but at home I definitely would

JM Fan likes this.
  2. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

I said to the fan next to me at the start of the 2nd half - I hope we go for 2 strikers on the hour mark and no, we weren't overrun. Had it not been for the offside goal ......

3. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

Do you seriously think that 1 point from the last 27 is acceptable? I don't!

KIO likes this.
  4. ncgandy

ncgandy Well-Known Member

It's 4 from the last 27.

See, nothing to worry about! :grin:

5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard anything on why Naismith wasn't even on the bench? If it was anything other than resting him, that could be a real concern for Swansea given that Tettey is looking a doubt and with out him we definitely have a soft underbelly. On top of that you would hope that O'neil and Brady would be OK to play following their collision, but these footballers ain't so tough these days. All things considered I reckon the predictions league will be as tough as ever on Saturday.

Bah!

6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It gets a mention in this post-match report, but I must admit to not hearing properly / understanding what AN said!

7. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

No I don´t think it´s acceptable, but nor is it in any way surprising, considering where we´ve come from, and the sort of financial clout we´re competing against. As I said, right from the beginning of the season, we´ve been scrapping for that 17 th place, and we really can´t expect an awful lot more in our first season back. Actually the last two have been vastly improved performances on the previous five or six, and we could easily have had at least two pts, and should justly have had one, if the linesman had done his job properly last night. Play like that against Swansea, Newcastle and Sunderland, which are the games we have to do it in, and we might easily take all nine pts, which would help our cause no end.

Changing the manager now, especially after the last two encouraging performances, would be ludicrous, even if we could pick up someone vaguely competent, which is by no means a foregone conclusion.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Canary Rob likes this.
  8. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

He said Naismith was a bit 'off colour' so didn't want to risk him (I think)

Well, he speaks the truth and the most telling thing for me last night, was that the fans were cheering the team as they left and I didn't hear a single boo (probably not in the same area of the ground as KIO!!!!)

And yield us 9 points, which would go a long way to ensuring our safety. Palace are looking vulnerable as well ......

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Canary Rob likes this.
  9. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Happy clapper I ain't. Not happy at all.

But changing the manager seems absolutely pointless to me.

K E M P and marknemo like this.
  10. General Melchett

To answer my own question (From the Pinkun)

"Neil confirmed after the game he had left the Scottish international out as a precaution after adverse results in routine fitness tests by the club’s sports science department over recent days, hinting the Scot’s heavy workload had taken a toll after a bit-part role at previous club Everton."

Nothing like fighting spirit and useless officials to unite the canary masses.

Bah!

11. NORKIE

NORKIE Well-Known Member

General bor, in his aftermatch interview the manager said Naismith had a slight niggle and was short of match practice as he had not been selected by Everton.

12. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

I will buy that. He does seem to put more physical and mental effort in to games than several others.

13. General Melchett

Sounds like our football recently! I don't want AN to go, but were we to lose to Swansea in similar fashion to our recent Villa debacle, with little fight and no quality then I would make my way on to the fence. I think as games go it has become need/must win and definitely must not lose! Losing to a rival that could be dragged back into the fight would be a disaster.

Bah!

14. General Melchett

Beat you too it :emoticon-0110-tongu

Bah!

15. royalbarclayfan

royalbarclayfan Well-Known Member

Seems like a good decision to me, Naismith looked a bit jaded and under par against Leicester, and it´s more important he´s involved and fit against Swansea, than burnt out after being involved last night.

16. yarco canary

yarco canary Well-Known Member

My take on last night for what its worth
    The crowd were certainly behind the team and very vocal last night.
    Unfortunately the same old problems are there.Our right flank in
    the 1st half was awfull,but improved dramatically in the 2nd
    when Redmond decided to join the party.I think 3 centrebacks
    and 2 wingbacks is our best set up,but I would have Bassong
    for Martin in the middle of the 3.
    Pinto and Brady are great going forward,but need cover from
    Redmond and "AN OTHER"
    We looked better when O'Neil came on,as Tettey was awfull.
    Up top from now on has to be Bamford and Jerome.
    Howson was superb last night and has certainly raised
    his game.Wes also had a good game.Ruddy looks
    more assured since his return.

Lady luck has certainly deserted us,certainly on tight calls
    from Ref and Linesman ,but it aint over till the fat lady sings OTBC

chinacanary likes this.
  17. General Melchett

God help us if he is unavailable and Tettey too. We will need our fighters on Saturday because Swansea will be as desperate as us.

Bah!

18. General Melchett

I agree with the 3 centrebacks formation being our best bet and all of Brady, Olsson, Pinto and Whittaker are probably more adept at playing wingback than an out n out fullback.
    I can't agree with Bassongs return. We have looked more solid at the back with the 3 playing together, they have done so for two games and you want to change it again. Bass has played all season and not been a part of a solid rear guard, I see no point disrupting this three for Bass who probably doesn't significantly improve it anyway. It's time to stick with 3 and hope that they can keep improving with more games together. AFterall we've all been critical of the constant tinkering by AN.
    And if you are to play Bamford and Jerome then who will you sacrifice? Hoolahan/Naismith? Redmond who is finding a smidge of form? I'm not sure how you can make that work?

Bah!

19. ilovedelia

ilovedelia Well-Known Member

Is there an invisible force shield on the half way line that tells Tettey to turn round and go back???
    He was terrible last night, worse than normal, he just slows the game down so much, is frightened to go forward and can't pass!
    I for one was glad when he went off!

20. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well, you for one may be glad to know that pending the result of an MRI scan, he fears he won't play again this season.
    http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/...eason_is_over_after_chelsea_injury_1_4440247?
    Which presumably would mean cobbling together a fragile defensive midfield by juggling Howson, Dorrans, O'Neil and / or Mulumbu.
    Not what's required with some tough, critical games coming up :(