1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich v Southampton

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by SuffolkCanary, Nov 18, 2021.

?

How will this one go

1. Norwich Win

64.3%
  2. Southampton Win

7.1%
  3. Draw

28.6%
  1. Rowdy

Rowdy Active Member

Still bringing everyone back for corners though... shame :emoticon-0101-sadsm

2. Rowdy

Rowdy Active Member

Anyone else hear the rumour that Gilmour had it away with Cantwell's girl and that's why both have been away rrom the team. Possibly nonsense, but im nit the only one to have heard it round me in the Jarrold.

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

The downside of that was that we only managed 37% possession.

4. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

That doesn't make sense as an explanation because Cantwell clearly fell out with Farke and I don't see how that outline of events would equal Farke being annoyed with his training performance. Also, that sounds like the sort of thing which Smith wouldn't take too well to either.

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Active Member

Word is he refused to train with Gilmour because of it.

6. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Got it, but that then doesn't add up that he would start training again with Dean Smith and be back playing in the same starting XI as Gilmour.

Canary Spring likes this.
  7. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

Heard it weeks ago. Todd posted on his twitter that it was b.s. I also saw rumors that TC got into fisticuffs with Hanley. I don't believe that one either.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  8. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Yeah that would have lasted all of 3 seconds

9. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

That is including the count.

10. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

I think most of us think Cantwell is a brat. The sooner he goes or starts playing to level of his ability, the better. If he goes, the transfer fee might be somewhat reduced by his off-field antics. What we need are players committed to the cause of staying in the EPL. He doesn’t give the impression that he copies in to this cause. DS has a problem on his hands which will possibly in end in tears before bedtime.

11. RiverEndRick

We'll never know what the 'personal reasons' were early on so we shouldn't speculate. He also had some niggling injuries and the combination of factors left him lacking match fitness when he finally got back to training. My main concern about Todd is his relatively low defensive contribution. He might get away with that at a bigger club, but we need all of our players working hard on both sides of the ball. Pukki does that and Sargent, Rashica and even Dowell and Tzolis have improved defensively, but that still seems lacking in Todd's play. I hope S&S can work on that.

12. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

I’d disagree with this and in fact when he played the first 4 or 5 games he was the top player in the league for successful presses I think

13. RiverEndRick

I was focusing on how much he helps out the LB when we're defending. He flaps about but doesn't really get tight on opposing players or win 50/50 challenges in most cases compared to Sargent for example. It's a subjective perception, but I felt Southampton exploited those weaknesses as well as Rashica playing out of position on the right. Milot looked more comfortable and played much better once he was moved to the left and Sargent totally improved our defending on the right flank. I'm hoping S&S can develop Todd's defensive skills as he builds up match fitness.

14. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Match fitness/sharpness is a difficult one, games seem to pass you by with the ball zipping around you, especially in the premier league I imagine you could feel that you are a couple of seconds out of sync most of the time. Getting Tood back up to 100% I am sure we will see an improvement in all aspects of his game but we have to be prepared that may take a few games.
    I was under the impression that Milot was primarily a right winger when he arrived, which is what confused me the most about the first few of the games where Farke seemingly played Rashica and Cantwell on the opposite wings to which they were comfortable.
    No doubt Sargents work rate and great pressing work changed the game and I don’t think those aspects of his game can be underrated.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  15. RiverEndRick

You're quite right, Suffolk, as TransferMarkt lists him as a right winger who can also play on the left or behind the striker. DF preferred inverted wingers who cut in and either shoot or cross so he has played mostly on the left and his ratings are higher there. His left foot is also strong, though, as he showed with the cross that set up Normann's goal against Brentford. Perhaps he did better in the second half because the whole team was playing better.

16. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

"off-field antics"? I don't know what you're referring to, outside of wild Twitter rumours. He's back in the fold and looks pretty committed to me. This was him just before the final whistle last weekend. Doesn't look like much of a problem to me.

upload_2021-11-25_13-29-56.png

17. Golden Eadie 2

That's Rashica, not Cantwell.

18. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

Good spot Sherlock. Now look behind him <cheers>

19. Golden Eadie 2

I think I need help. You are talking about Cantwell? That looks like Gilmour to me.

20. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

That's not Todd. It's a cardboard replica held up by Todd's brother sitting in the row behind. Todd was already back home in Dereham sticking pins into a wax Dean Smith doll. Get real Hairy.

zogean_king likes this.