1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Norwich versus Wolverhampton

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, Dec 15, 2019.

?

Who shall win?

1. Norwich

58.3%
  2. Draw

8.3%
  3. Reading

25.0%
  4. Wolves

8.3%
  1. robbieBB

robbieBB Well-Known Member

If not Emi, then Cantwell. The idea that Trybull and Tettey are sufficient cover and that that exonerates the others from defending when out of possession simply doesn't hold water, as is being proven to our cost game after game.
    I agree that Emi "was everywhere" yesterday but, as so often this season, that's not enough if you go AWOL at the one, most crucial, juncture. The great majority of the goals scored against us in open play are conceded as a result of midfield failure.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    DHCanary likes this.
  2. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

We can feel satisfied that we are not far off the ability of teams like wolves but unless we manage to defend better we will get punished.

The key to survival in this league is to grind out a few 1 miles, Cantwell got us off to a great start we should have tried to keep the ball and attack on the counter.

I don't think we have won any points where we conceded first and we have also scored first only to draw or lose a few times.

This you score 2 and we will get 3 style rarely works we need to get a few boring 1 nils.

robbieBB and RiverEndRick like this.
  3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Very much agree, DD. Enough other teams have done that to us and taken all three points.

4. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Was at the game, should have been at least 2 or 3 up at half time, Tettey unlucky with his shot that came off the post, wished it'd hit the back of the keeper's head and go in for an OG but lady luck never seems to be on our side. We've got to learn to kill the opposition off when we are on top and go 1-0 up, 1 goal leads are never enough we need to be at least 2 ahead when we are on top.Wolves were there for the taking in the first half, we let them back into the game in the second, should have made subs earlier

DHCanary and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  5. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

If we'd had taken half of our chances in the first half then conceding 2 in the second wouldn't have mattered.

canary on the weald likes this.
  6. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same, Robbie. I mentioned this last season. He dropped his shot over the keeper just a couple of times last year that I remember, but he rarely does that; and not once this season that I recall.

7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

His goal against Man. City was blasted high into the corner <ok>

Canary Spring likes this.
  8. Canary Spring

That's a bit different, Dave. I talking more about one-on-one's with the keeper. I want to see Teemu try to lob the keeper sometimes.

canary-dave likes this.
  9. robbieBB

It's not just one-on-ones though. He relies primarily on placement, and often with an additional element of surprise (e.g. through the legs of a covering defender). Dave's example is pertinent, but as a case of the exception proving the rule!
    Precise placement is much more difficult in this league compared to the Championship, because both keepers and covering defenders are more expert, for example with their angles (as well as being generally quicker).
    The converse of Pukki's reliance on placement is over-reliance on sheer power of shot, exemplified by Hernandez. He and others could benefit IMO from taking a leaf out of Cantwell's book when to comes to shooting. (Dave is about to point out that Cantwell's goal yesterday was struck with real power <laugh>. It was, but it was also deliberately placed well out of the keeper's reach!)

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

I agree with your assessment Robbie, placed with power '<ok>

Canary Spring and robbieBB like this.

11. Canary Spring

I just want him to mix it up a bit by using a lob shot in one-on-ones. As you said he's been "sussed." It was interesting, though, that Patricio stayed big on his feet till Teemu took his shot. That guy is a good keeper. If Pukki can add high shots into the net in other situations, all the better.

robbieBB likes this.
  12. robbieBB

Yes, he's an excellent keeper. If it had been JR we'd probably have won!

Canary Spring likes this.
  13. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

While I can see the argument for variation, it also depends on what the player feels comfortable with. Pukki's great strength is his composure when shooting. I can't ever remember him snatching at a shot. If he feels comfortable trying to chip the keeper then well and good, but if he doesn't, then he may be caught in two minds and miss his chance. He's scored 6 goals in his last 8 games for club and country. Cantwell has been a revelation this season with his 5 goals, but we've only got 3 goals from all our other midfielders and none from defenders. This is where we're falling down IMO.

Bure budgie likes this.
  14. Canary Spring

It is certainly Teemu's call to make depending on what he's confident in doing.

Compare with last season when four other players added 8-10 goals each over the season.

RiverEndRick likes this.