1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Not 606 Bristol City Hall of Fame - The Result

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by smhbcfc, Mar 5, 2020.

1. johngalleyfan2

johngalleyfan2 Well-Known Member

don't forget the 3 AD put forward ..lol

2. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

Here are the Top 10 who are herby inducted into the Hall of Fame:

Gerry Gow - 12
    Brian Tinnion - 12
    Bob Taylor - 8
    Tom Ritchie - 7
    Geoff Merrick - 7
    Andy Cole - 7
    Jacki Dziekanowski - 6
    Mike Gibson - 5
    Scott Murray - 5
    Alan Walsh - 5

Chris Garland and Norman Hunter just missed out with 4 votes each - then there were 8 people with 3 votes

A total of 55 people received votes

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    MassiveAttack and raver like this.
  3. johngalleyfan2

very interesting 55 players got votes with Gow and Tinnion coming out on top with 12, of the 15 to vote, 3 opted only for GOW or TINNION.... 9 FOR BOTH
    What is amazing though, Norman "bite yer legs" only got 4 votes! and over the past couple of weeks the accolades to him were overwhelming … when you do the next tranche will be interesting to see where those 15 votes go?
    going through the lists usually if asked "what who or when" is your top 3 -5 - 10 or however many Your favourite comes out in first breath … or tends to be in first 3 or 4! looking through my list after I did it I didn't change any.. although after reading the lists of others it prompted me to "remember/visualize" others .. one other that came to mind after doing my list was chris crowe .. then another then another and the lists from others .. added to "oh yes I forgot him" …!
    this is a very intriguing thread.. and look forward to the next edition .. my bet would be N b y l H ….

4. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

Hunter probably never made this list because he was only here for less than 4 seasons.
    Merrick was decent but couldn't lace Hunter's boots, nevertheless I feel Sir Geoff deserves his place in this particular list.
    If there's a 'best player' list then players like Norman and Andy Cole will be right up there.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  5. johngalleyfan2

i was going to add comments on whether "best player" or "Deserving of hall of fame " maybe players should be kept separate from staff? have 3 walls / halls... Ateyo was something special! he was deserving as was Gow .. where as cole galley cheesely Ritchie etc were most in the lime light as scoring goals is what it is about... whereas Ford Jacobs Merrick [ defenders and mid field ] just get on with their jobs ..!

6. smhbcfc

Normally this sort of thing is what they meant to the club - so yes to an extent it is about "being a good player" - but it's also about length of time at the club - how people conduct themselves etc etc
    Everyone will have a view on what's important and what's not
    The plan is to "induct" 2 (maybe 3) new people into our HOF every 6 months - so in September we will do that

7. johngalleyfan2

i'll leave my 3 in my will just in case ...lol :emoticon-0102-bigsm :emoticon-0140-rofl:

8. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

For me for the next 3 there has to be a couple of ex managers + Norman Hunter.

Alan Dicks definitely because of those 4 incredible seasons in the top flight.

And Steve Cotterill I have 62 years and counting as a BCFC fan and he gave me the best season ever season during that entire period and the only manager in 6 decades to deliver a championship, even the feckin' gas had a championship during our wait, albeit one we gifted them with a gutless display at Trumpton.

Angelicnumber16 and Redprintt like this.
  9. johngalleyfan2

?

10. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

?

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I'm personally happy for you to mention Norman Hunter and Steve Cotterill, I think both in their own efforts have contributed hugely to the history of our club, Dicks gave me the best ever day I've had in London and a promotion to the promised land.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Angelicnumber16 and Jiffie like this.
  12. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I can't argue with your opinion it was truly magical but I think we all knew it would one day come to an end and when it did come to an end boy did it come to an end it was almost terminal.

The difference for me is the new ground was under construction and with it bigger revenue streams, it just seemed like it was like this time we can stay up and build, something that has never really happened at BCFC in our yo yoing between league 1 and the championship/3rd/2nd division for 60 years.

99 points, only 5 defeats all season and a championship, I wouldn't mind betting that there is nobody on this forum who claim to have been a fan the last time we won a championship in 1955 and that makes it unique in our history.

I hear people waxing lyrical about Danny Wilson and he won nothing with us other than the Mickey Mouse cup and Joe Jordan, I have never been so disappointed over a BCFC promotion because we were top of that league from September that season and nearly blew it completely in April and May and our capitulation at Trumpton was one of the most gutting experiences as a BCFC fan.

Yes it quickly turned sour, I think SC's ego told him that he was unsackable but in the end he was quite rightly sacked, it was obvious that his relationship with SL was at rock bottom but let's be honest and brutal here, SC is the reason that LJ is the manager of a championship side with promotion aspirations but as a manager he has won nothing.

That is my case for SC, it was the perfect season and one that 22 previous managers failed to achieve, and so far 23 if you include LJ.

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  13. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

coventry 2-Bristol City 2 at Highfield Road what a night best game I have witnessed in my lifetime.

Jiffie likes this.
  14. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Again I cannot argue with that I was there as I was at Highbury at the beginning of that season, But it was 1 game, as a complete season we have never enjoyed anything like it plus a championship to boot the first for 60 years.

Let me just add this. I have been married to my missus for 48 years last month, I have been married to BCFC for 62 years. I met her on a blind date but I told her very early on had when I walked her home to Withywood that first night, had she told me she was a gashead I would have walked away without a look back.

When City lose on Saturday it screws up my whole weekend, if they go on to lose in midweek my whole week is screwed, that season is probably the only season in our 48 years of marriage that she was not worried to ask what the score was.

Red Robin likes this.
  15. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

That was a magical night, mine of modern times was Tins superb goal against Liverpool, fantastic and I made for it work the next morning but I didn't drive, I was in Cardiff when we got beat and knocked out, it broke my heart but Stella in the local helped on the night, needless to say when I got home eventually my dinner was refrigerated and the wife appeared non co-operative and oh my head.:emoticon-0106-cryin

Jiffie likes this.
  16. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't understand some fans animosity towards SC and the need to ignore that wonderful season that he gave us.

Redprintt likes this.
  17. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. After Sir Alan Dicks no one achieved what SC did albeit one division lower in my 50 years of following City

Red Robin and Jiffie like this.
  18. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

It's been a deliberate drip drip from fake news Ashton Gate.
    Started early when Junior refused to shake Cott's hand on Sky after the Cardiff loss.
    Junior isn't just small in size.

Ps - That fantastic season ranks in enjoyment right up there with the best season in the 70's.
    We're not talking which league or the opposition City played.
    For pure enjoyment nobody in their right mind who witnessed both can disagree.

Jiffie and Angelicnumber16 like this.
  19. smhbcfc

Perhaps we could add a couple of "magic moments" to the Hall of Fame when we next vote - something to think about??

20. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

I’m surprised that Attyeo, Galley, Shaun Taylor or Louis Carey haven’t made the list. having said that I can’t possibly vote because that would mean I DONT vote for the rest of the nominees. All great players and servants to our club.

Jiffie likes this.