1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Olly out

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by UpminstR, Oct 28, 2017.

1. UpminstR

UpminstR Well-Known Member

standing performance by the team today. Thanks for a great Birthday present. URrrrrrrs!!!!!!

2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Well I should hope they were standing!

3. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Days like today are even more enjoyable because they are so unexpected, just annoying that we can't seem to be consistent but well done lads...

4. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Has this thread actually got any point ?

5. rangercol

Might we be more consistent if we had consistent team selection?

SW Ranger likes this.
  6. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

You would expect more consistency with a core team that has a better understanding of each other.
    This chopping/changing/tombola doesn't help. And Holloway should know his best team by now.
    I appreciate the injuries at the back, but he juggles everywhere (and I'm not sure he still has found his best forward line either).
    I would have expected us to have a more settled team and found it easier to identify our scouting focus for the next couple of players needed (which really isn't that difficult for all of us to work out).

rangercol likes this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I think Ollie knows his best (currently fit) team...with two positions (one he is still experimenting with, the other being interchangeable CF) being open for change depending on the opposition

Smithies
    Lynch, Robinson, Baptiste
    Bidwell, Scowen, xxx
    Mass, Freeman,
    Connor Sylla

imho...at the moment he is searching for his right wingback/winger (Wszolek, Cousins, Bright, Wheeler, Smythe, Lualua)
    The above team can move from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 quite effortlessly, and does.

Smith is now acting as an impact sub.....and a replacement for Sylla in the starting line-up when a real physical presence is needed.
    I do think Ollie has a plan.

8. rangercol

The problem is that we don't have ANYONE who is suited to playing wing back.

sb_73 likes this.
  9. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Cousins wasn't bad yesterday, bearing in mind he wasn't match fit (and there is no way he will get a starting berth in our midfield currently). Wheeler is a possibilty too...not seen enough of him
    Never thought Robinson could have been as good as he has been at CD...so you never know!

10. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

A few make a good fist of it though.Thought Bidwell was pretty good there yesterday, in fact he has been the last couple of games. I think Robinson would also make a good LWB, but then he's done so well at CB he may not get the chance! Pavel does well on the right, the defensive side of his game has improved a lot, maybe at the cost of his confidence going forward.

11. rangercol

I agree that Pawel and Robinson would be the best two choices.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  12. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

This, it’s the critical position in this formation, and while those picked are doing their best, none are naturals. Isla was the last one we had, and after one game he was never allowed to play there.

They can be made though. I know none of us like the diving twat, but Ashley Young (and Valencia come to that) are doing a very good job in these roles for Mourinho, and neither of them started as wing backs.

rangercol likes this.
  13. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

We might not have the perfect personnel for the system, but I think that 3-5-2 is our best option. Our strength is the midfield 3 and they work best with wing-backs, it seems to me. Wingers can be taught to defend and defenders can get forward effectively. Bidwell was excellent yesterday, albeit mainly in defensive situations. Cousins, on yesterday's showing, seems a much better option on the right than Wszolek, who is much overrated in my opinion. Robinson is probably our best wing-back, but he has also become or best centre-back.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017