1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Olympic opinions ?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AberdeenSaint, Jul 21, 2012.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I`m looking forward to the games, and some good sport. Saints chums - what`s are the perceptions in Hampshire ? - is there a feeling of being involved, or is it an event that`s happening elsewhere ?

2. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

It's very much an event that's happening elsewhere from my point of view. Haven't really seen much build-up around where I live (Waterlooville).

3. sharpshooter11

sharpshooter11 New Member

skate :d

4. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Genuinely not bothered...

5. Tony Montana

Tony Montana Member

Cba really....... Might tune in forthe 100m but that's about it.

6. Big_Si

Big_Si Active Member

Really not that fussed about it although my interest will grow if we start doing well, fickle like that. I am currently a cycling fan! I won't be watching it though as I shall be sat on a beach in Spain for most of it. :smile:

7. Adam_Banana20

Adam_Banana20 New Member

I'm looking forward to the Olympics,especially as a guy from my class qualified for the Olympics,he is a badminton player,so I'd like him to play well.

Team GB will probably win a few gold medals.

8. JDub

JDub Well-Known Member

Weird how the only one looking forward to it doesn't even live in England.

9. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Wasn't really that bothered, but then a few things fell into place. One, I competed in the Round The Island Race sailing event, which got the competitive streak back that I'd forgotten I had. Two, We were all given Benandrita 3 tie pins, with these emblems on, after Ben Ainslie, who names any boat he competes in, Rita.
    please log in to view this image

That kind of got something going too, especially as he was competing in the same race as us, that day. Incidentally, his time for sailing round the Island meant that he could have gone round nearly three times to our one.
    The last thing, has been keeping an eye on the successes of Bradley Wiggins, Chris Froome, Mark Cavendish and David Millar, in the current Tour De France. All of whom will be representing GB in the Olympics Cycling.
    The Summer Olympics only come around once every 4 years and generally only once or twice a lifetime in the same country. Britain has always held Olympics when GB and the Rest of the World were coming out of economic turmoil, either through war or previous trade downturns. Again, Britain actually has a very strong team, and I think I'd regret it if I didn't take notice of what is about to take place in London.

10. Adam_Banana20

Adam_Banana20 New Member

11. TheSecondStain

Have to say that I was astounded by the 19 Gold Medal haul from China 2008, and I know GB is supposed to have a stronger team this time round, but 27‽‽‽

12. Adam_Banana20

Adam_Banana20 New Member

Yeah,I also read an article on the BBC website saying that the President of the Russian Olympic comity thinks that team GB have got a good chance of finishing 3rd,above Russia!

13. Southampton_FC

Not really intrested in the Olympics myself, but i may tune in to some of the footie. but wont go out of my was todo so

Rub it in why not! :(

14. reggiesfc

reggiesfc Member

Waterlooville? Now i find your comments more annoying.

15. TheSecondStain

Think I read the same article where a representative of those jolly good sports, the Aussies, said that the British had a good chance of falling down the medal table to eighth. I've just remembered their comment from 4 years ago when they said that Britain were only good at sports where you sat down, ie. Cycling, Rowing, Sailing, which was a bit of an insult for their own competitors, because they are also strong in those fields too. Just not as strong.

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

As I love sport, especially international sport where I can be completely unreasonable and biased, I love the Olympics. They include sports that are rarely seen and people start discussing such things as the finer points of scoring in the epee. The last Olympics was fantastic for Team GB...every time I looked up the Union Jack was being raised on the central pole. I want everyone to go home to their home countries and say it was a great Olympics.

17. Wisescummer

Wisescummer Active Member

I'm excited about the olympics, but that's because i'm a sports fan and the olympics are the second greatest sporting 'event' around (after the rugby world cup). The fact that they are in London though doesn't really affect me. I couldn't afford tickets at the time, so they might as well be in Paris or Madrid.

18. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

I think the Olympics are pretty cool, I think the best aspect is that sports that don't normally get much coverage get a chance to be more prominent in the press and on TV, e.g. archery. As well as it's global nature, more so than any world cup (especially the cricket world cup)

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I'm not that bothered about the athletics or swimming, but I always enjoy the gymnastics. And after the Tour de France, it will be interesting to see how the GB team do in the cycling, with the 2 top GC riders and the World Champion, plus all the other stars we have in the track and road events. The sailing is always really exciting as well.

Like PompeyLapras, I'm also looking forward to seeing some of the more obscure sports on TV, like handball, which is brilliant.

20. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

......can`t wait for the women`s beach volleyball.