1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Olympic Stadium deal to be investigated

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by perrymanlegend, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

What makes you suspect that?

2. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

RCL's post was clearly sarcastic/ironic, yours didn't seem to be at all. That's all. If so, it would be a legitimate viewpoint.

3. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

The fact that it didn't seem to be adds to the irony.

4. What would piss me off more about this entire shady episode is if the move had enhanced the Spanners' performances on the field. However, given that they are currently sitting just a point off the relegation zone, I cannot help but think that they are reaping their just-desserts.

I doubt few of us would have wanted THFC to move to that ground, so I certainly do not envy WHUFC the move.

Nonetheless, it is extremely frustrating that the fans of other clubs do not seem to appreciate the fact that it is all of us, as tax-payers, who have been swindled by the dodgy-dealings surrounding the acquisition by WHUFC, and gloat in the mistaken belief that this is something that affects only Spurs!

remembercolinlee likes this.
  5. It s even more infuriating to see the long-repeated statement that the Spammers are just a good business that 'negotiated' a good deal - overlooking the fact that they were working hand-in-glove with Seb Coe, the LLDC and Newham Council from Day 1 and that their bid was always going to be the one accepted.
    They may have benefited from the stupidity and romantic whim of Coe and his cronies to retain the Athletics legacy, but they are up to their necks in the associated corruption.
    And the BBC (notably Dan Roan) continue to be their greatest apologists!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37843313
    Quote: 'But others do not see why the club should be punished for doing its job, and for striking such a good deal for itself.' FFS!!!

6. O.Spurcat

O.Spurcat Well-Known Member

I am going to the London Stadium on Sunday (Rugby League International). My seat is in row 28. I reckon the far side of the pitch will be half a mile away.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I went to the Olympics in 2012. I was at the back on the bend nearest the Olympic flame. It was a long, long way to where the farthest goal is now situated.

I was towards the back of our end at Wembley in '81. The end both goals went in during the first game was about as far away as it would be in Stratford. I had no idea that Hoddle's free kick hit Hutchinson until later that night. the view was shocking and I had good eyesight in those days. I'd be taking binoculars now to have any idea of what goes on from that vantage point. I wouldn't be keen on sitting there on any regular basis, no matter how cheap the ticket was.

The owners of West Ham have sold their fans down the river. Tottenham wanted to buy the site but wouldn't touch the stadium with a barge pole, even though it would have saved £500m and maybe more.

This entire episode is a stitch up. It has lined the pockets of some unpleasant individuals and a political party, furthered the ambitions of a bent sports administrator, been funded out of public funds at the expense of the taxpayer and to the detriment of the existing fan base of the club. Shameful.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

For just £10 a month you can sponsor someone who really needs to find employment at the Olympic Park

...someone who drives one of these

please log in to view this image

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Shock horror! Tories strike bad deal for the nation.
    1970s[edit]
    1980s[edit]
    1990s[edit]
    2000s[edit]
    2010s[edit]
    Just consider most of those companies produced income for all of us now it is just the Tory mates. The Olympic Stadium is just another little project in line with all the above.

10. vimhawk

vimhawk Well-Known Member

Reading that list has genuinely upset me.

The one I know particularly well is electricity since I was working for the CEGB just before "privatisation". I used the quotes deliberately because our electricity industry, sold partly on the basis to reduce "state interference", is now owned to a great extent by the national electricity company of France. Then there is the ludicrous excuses for hiking prices because of wholesale costs (where the companies are often the supplier and the wholesaler), but not reducing them under the same basis, the whole complex tariff thing and switching supplier, the lack of strategic planning and need for massive public subsidy to ensure a private nuclear power station is built (well private in some ways, in other ways owned by the French and Chinese governments), and many many more. It's depressing.

PowerSpurs, Spurf and Hoddle is a god like this.

11. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Worse than that, we're still paying for a lot of them.
    The railways are probably the most obvious example.
    Some things are just utterly stupid to privatise.