1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

One win away from a modern day football miracle

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by ThaiCanary, Apr 26, 2016.

1. ThaiCanary

ThaiCanary Well-Known Member

On waking this morning I was expecting to see that Spurs had crushed West Brom, thus maintaining the pressure on Leicester at the top of the PL. Instead I find that they were held to a draw and the Foxes are now just one win away from taking the PL trophy!

As close as it now is, and that I have previously said I think they will win it, this morning I am looking at the PL table with some considerable degree of disbelief......Leicester City?

Not suggesting they do not deserve to be where they are, and go on to win, although they have had the rub of the green on many occasions this season (something we can only dream of) but it just seem impossible for this to have happened, given the way the PL has changed since its inception 20 odd years ago.

Of all places where they could win the PL, they visit Old Trafford this coming weekend - what better place to do it? This perhaps is not their best chance of taking the title as they play Everton in the following game at home which on the surface looks a more likely scenario and better still for their fans to see them win it on their own patch. Even if the Foxes come away from Old Trafford with nothing, Spurs still need to take at least 1 point from Chelsea the following day, quite a tall order under normal circumstances.

For the first time this season (other than when Norwich played them) I will watch the Man Utd game, in part hoping that Leicester get a draw or win, but of course part in disbelief and envy.

2. Hairy Mary Quite Canary

Hairy Mary Quite Canary Well-Known Member

It's a brilliant outcome for football fans outside the usual top 4. Gives us all a little glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe it could happen to us too. Very happy for Leicester fans. Can they back it up next year?

carrowcanario likes this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent post TC and yes I was quite surprised to see that the Foxes have outfoxed everyone and whilst I agree that they have had the 'rub of the green' in certain decisions (I can think of 2 penalties that could easily have been awarded against them in the last month), it doesn't detract from their achievement. I envy heir style of play in that they attack as a team and defend as a team and it's a style that we can only ever dream of achieving - it certainly helps that in Vardy, they have a striker who will score from most of the opportunities he gets, but he also creates a lot of his own chances with his powerful running. At the other end of the pitch, they have 2 powerful and effective centre backs and their goals conceded is only bettered by Spurs. It's also worth noting that I believe Ranieri had the same starting 11 for something like 10 games in a row (are you taking notes AN????)

I hope that they can keep most of the team together, but the vultures are already circling for both Mahrez and Schmeichel, not to mention Vardy (who I see has only got an additional one match ban for arguing with the referee when he got sent off!!!!).

As you say, looking on in disbelief and envy and unless we get a wealthy benefactor sometime in the next few years, it will just have to be a dream for us, but in many ways, I guess we've 'over achieved' by getting 2 promotions to the PL in recent years with our limited resources. Personally, I would rather we were a 'yoyo club', as opposed to having an owner such as TF or Venkys to name but two!!!!

Edit - the approximate cost of their team is around £23M or under 10% of the cost of most of the 'top 4'!!!!

canary-dave likes this.
  4. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

That is what gives us all hope, keep building like Stoke and improving the players and one day it may click, right addition, right manager, but we must recruit better. It is just hope really though, I think it will be a once in a generation thing, may be less! I can't see even Leicester repeating a top 4 next year, but then I have thought that they'd get figured out through out this season!

Bah!

JM Fan likes this.
  5. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

It's a refreshing change to see Leicester and The Spuds duking it out rather than the usual two Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal.

It may not be repeated next year and the natural order may resume but it has given us a more pleasurable and exciting Premiership with maybe a fairytale story at the end.

Well done Leicester - hats off to you.

JM Fan and Walsh.i.am like this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm also delighted for them, for breaking the $$-based smug cartel of the (perceived) 'Big 4', to whom OCF makes reference above.
    I can still remember clearly all the nodding of 'wise' journalistic heads and sniggering that took place when 'Tinkerman' was appointed to replace Pearson. Not so funny now, you hacks, is it, as you watch the blue Foxes canter to the title! <laugh> <ok>

please log in to view this image

nzfoxfan, oldcanariesfan and ncgandy like this.
  7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Excellent <applause>

Ranieri has got all of the players playing as a team, rather than individuals and that is where the likes of ManUre etc fail. Also, he has a fantastic back 4, so they can pick up 3 points with a 1-0 win!!! It was 4 on the bounce, followed by a 2-0.

8. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

A script written by Hans Christian Anderson would be more probably true. Congratulationsto the Foxes.

JM Fan likes this.
  9. Cruyff's Turn.

Cruyff's Turn. Active Member

I had a bit of an interest in this. My uncle lived in Filbert St and Leicester were the first team I saw play, this would have been early 60's. Their achievement, assuming it comes off, which barring the biggest shock collapse ever it will, is massive. Probably eclipses Derby winning the old First Division in 73.

10. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Or even the mighty Ipswich!

11. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Ah.................................

I thought this thread was about Norwich....

:emoticon-0140-rofl: