1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

OT how badly have you been treated at work

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by pauljohnhutch, Oct 14, 2016.

1. pauljohnhutch

pauljohnhutch Well-Known Member

I'm an engineer ,recently I got called out to a job at 2 am ,I finished at 1130 am I worked on a chiller on a food line, every hour the line was off the company were loosing a grand,I know the company I work for will have charged a fortune, phoned the office told them I was knackered and I needed the afternoon off .I was told if I wanted the afternoon off I had to take a half day holiday,I also know if I had of just took the afternoon off ,4 hours overtime would have been moved over to make up my 40 hours, there by costing me 6 hours as overtime is time and a half or double .
    there have been other incidents but this is the final straw

Captainchaos. likes this.
  2. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

I tell my employer what I'm going to do and if they don't listen I say

" ok well it pains me to have to say this, however we can either have it my way or I'm not doing any overtime , not going to do the job well as you know I do and I'm going to stroll through my days until I get the hell out of here ".

Make it clear to them that this job isn't important to you, that you will easily find a better job and that you're a human being!

Nobody knows why they are here, but I'll tell you one thing it wasn't to run around aftet some jump umped Alan sugar wannabe little tossers that think they have the right to control you

No **** I did it last week actually

They folded

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

I'm a teacher, what is paid overtime?

I do 12 hour days 5 days a week, plus about 10 hours over the weekend.

Oh, and during my day, I get no breaks - if I am lucky I get to nip to the loo.

We get paid for 43 weeks a year (unpaid for 9 weeks) yet I work during at least 8 of these weeks.

We are not respected by the Government, we are not respected by the general public and treated very shoddily.

If we go on strike (by the way we choose days that do not interfere in exams) we are criticised yet when the fire services, junior doctors etc who go on strike costing actual lives then they get the full public support.

We have more paperwork than any other job yet we still have to find time to actually teach.

Today, more than ever we are bringing up the children of this country as a lot of parents see that as soon as they start education then all future learning is the teachers responsibility and not theirs despite we only get 5 hours with them a day and about 30 of them to deal with, so that is 10 minutes a day of our time with each child assuming we do not teach.

No matter what decision the government makes it is always the teachers fault.

How badly have I been treated at work? The only bad treatment I have at work is by starting this career!

4. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

As a fellow teacher I feel you need to appreciate that the public see us primarily as child-care. Raise their children and if we go on strike and they have to then yes we do not have support. The average (according to the study conducted by the government) was around the 52 hour mark. Ah well.

Worst job was duty solicitor though. Working days but on call each night for 2-3 nights in a row and got a flat payment of £40 for a call-out to the station whether it was a 5 minute or 5 hour job. In three times at 1am, 3am and 5am? Well you've still got work at 8am so enjoy. Police working nightshift who you're bandying words with are actually getting sleep during the day, you're on their turf and not welcome and the only person on your side is the kind of person needing a duty solicitor at those times - often a scrote

5. Captainchaos.

Any chance you could sort me out with some qualifications mate

pauljohnhutch likes this.
  6. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

You already have them, two hands and a brain

7. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

Fully review your contract mate. There are basic employment rights enshrined in UK law and these cover gaps between shifts and I'm sure you may have a legal basis to complain.

Consett Mag likes this.
  8. Captainchaos.

I'm sure teaching like all jobs has its downsides, but you guys get plenty of holidays.

So much negativity

You have the power

9. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't actually complaining about my current job. Over the course of the year the amount i get paid per hour isn't pretty but I'm never more than 7 weeks from a week off which makes (almost) anything manageable! Plus I like m job, if i didn't I'd leave as I could certainly do something which worked fewer hours a year and earned more. Individually we all have power.

Generally I'm not sure teachers do have power to be honest. A higher percentage of teaching is done by TA's now and it's rising (and academies would facilitate this further as the teacher pay-scales would not need to be adhered to and they can staff with whom they wish), the standard of education slips a bit but it saves good amounts of money. Only the parents and ultimately the taxpayer can fight against that as when we have we're just portrayed in the media as greedy/lazy/etc.

Captainchaos. likes this.
  10. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Not sure how this fits in with working time regulations? Check that out with ACAS website?

As an example during in the winter months I have employees working nights if gritting is required. This can obviously be ad hoc on night by night basis, due to temperature. I just let them go once they are ****ed that day. My view being they are doing a **** end of the job so you look after them.

Your employer is a bell end basically. The end action here is always the same, seek another employer, this **** isn't going to change their ways. You could complain and go through a load of hassle to fight the good fight, but all you will do is put yourself under undue stress. Now of course if no one speaks up, nothing changes but it all depends on your personal situ if you want that hassle.

I can't recommend enough to work for yourself or buddy up with another engineer to start a business. Its not for everyone though running a business. Just get out and do the bare minimum in the meantime, essentially showing him the same respect he is showing you.

11. ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter

ClearlyDeludedGloryHunter Well-Known Member

My second job out of college (I can't call the festering pile of bricks that was Teesside Polytechnic an university, can I?) was working for a geological and mining consultancy. To save money the company put me on 'management staff' which meant a salary and no overtime.

One month I worked two weeks unpaid overtime and I was late getting into work (it was a three mile walk each way that I enjoyed) by fifteen minutes to half an hour during the last few days of the month as I was so knackered.

I was fired.

12. pauljohnhutch

pauljohnhutch Well-Known Member

cheers for the advice mate I do feel as though I will have to move on,the woman that does the wages and makes the call on these sort of situations is the M D"s wife so every penny she saves goes on new clothes ,one year the install lads were sent home early on christmas eve ,she docked their pay 4 hours,2 of them had there overtime moved over to make up the 40 hours there fore they in real terms lost 6 hours.
    Probably the most petty was one of the directors telling an icecream van to f off away from the factory ,as the lads were doing outside to get an ice cream

13. Captainchaos.

Does anyone want a job recovering satellite dishes ?

J. J. McClure and Warmir Pouchov like this.
  14. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after "whenever the fire service go on strike putting lives at risk they get full public support". I can assure you know that we don't!
    I would never criticise teachers, doctors, nurses, police or fire service for going on strike.

Consett Mag likes this.
  15. Howe's about that then?

Howe's about that then? Well-Known Member

Oh. I'm not arguing who gets treated worse. I actually feel majority of public are clued up enough to realise it's the government's fault and not the doctors, teachers and emergency services.

Just to clarify, I think you teachers do a great job and actually considered teaching myself

haslam likes this.
  16. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny

I think a lot depends on whether this was voluntary overtime or you were required to be on call as part of your job. If you were required to do the overtime then they must still stick to all of the basic guidelines of the working time directive. If it was voluntary then it becomes a grey area (or at least it used to - I'm not up to date). There are still lots of loopholes for companies to get round some of the regulations by averaging out the hours over a 17 week period, but I am fairly sure that you were still entitled to a compensatory rest period if you worked during your designated rest period.

Like Pouchy said, a lot depends on how willing you are for things to get awkward and stressful at work as to how much stink you want to kick up. That shouldn't be the case, but in practice it is. One way around this, if they are doing this to enough people to avoid you being recognised, would be to get a third party to contact them reminding them of their obligations of following the time directive, and the fines available if they don't.

17. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

The hours teachers say they work these days sounds like they are on par with every job I've ever had in the private sector. Welcome to the club; **** isn't it? Never been paid a penny in overtime in my life despite doing 10-20 hours extra every week and working weekends in the past. Self employed now and could never go back to working for someone else.

18. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

I don't disagree but either teaching should be viewed as private sector in which case **** any good will if I'm not getting my fair cut I'm not doing it OR it should be viewed as public sector in which case I'll accept the **** pay for the hours so long as i don't have to have people throw my holidays at me as if I need to go up to every person in the country and thank them for "paying my wages".

Truth is I've been qualified for long enough in a demand subject that I can go to the middle east and get paid more than twice the amount, pay no tax, have free private education for my kids and get free accomodation. The hours are less and the pressures are less too. I do my job because i like it - I left working in the private sector (as a trainee solicitor I wasn't exactly doing 9-5) to do a job i wanted to do I don't want to be welcomed back into the club thanks. If I had a private sector mentality i would go work there and earn more thanks.

19. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

What is causing all the extra hours?

20. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Planning and marking are more extensive than they used to be and they form a good 15 hours of work i do at home every week - a couple of hours every night, it's nothing too taxing but it is part of my daily routine after tea and before going to bed. Also class sizes are going up so that adds to both of the above, if you teach 21 lessons to 25 pupils on average that 525 bit of marking - then even if you're only spending 30 seconds of glancing and comments per lesson that would be 4 hours. Homework is a bit more extensively marked 2-3 mins per pupil and I'd say that's an hour per class per week so another 7 hours. Class sizes going up by one or two on average and that's another chunk of my week gone (some parts of the country they are now 30 or above).

Planning is now very much to do with showing you're putting in provision for all the little darlings you teach, 20 years ago the brightest could just be given another sheet and the strugglers could be ushered out but now you (quite rightly to be fair) need to show what you're doing to help dyslexics, discalculics, ADHD, OCD, Autistic, Aspergers, students on Free School Meals, Ever6 pupils, etc. To put that into perspective this year (and i think every year I have taught) I have had at least one pupil from each of those categories and saying "sit them at the front and speak slowly" doesn't cut it :)

Alongside this funding has been universally cut for CPD so that's all made and given in school, usually by teachers to other teachers from things we create in our own time. There's afterschool, lunchtime and before school events I do every week, I'm in a few weekends and about one evening a fortnight with work commitments. It just all adds up to be honest.