1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Other people might have already thought about it

Discussion in 'England' started by Theo Net-Breaker, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Theo Net-Breaker

and I do realise it is a bit of a taboo subject, but could there be any possibility that Hodgson didn't pick Richards because he's...well....black?
    In no way am I saying that Roy is racist, but what with all the hysteria (and rightly so) regarding the racist Ultra's in Ukraine, could it be a possibility that either Richards privately asked not to be picked, or Roy considered the fact that Richards temperament might lead to a Balotelli like confrontation with the fans?
    No matter what people say, Roy is a pragmatic manager, and I'm sure he wouldn't not pick Richards just because he didn't like him, there must be an underlying reason for not doing so, and I was thinking as to whether this could be the reason why?

2. Poolliver LallanaDelRey

I strongly disagreed with that statement at first; but it is an interesting point! In addition to this we know Rio Ferdinands view on racism and the whole subject often sparks him off in the wrong way (effecting his emotions and performance negatively). Perhaps Roy is more cunning than once thought?

However in which case why include Welbeck and Glen Johnson etc. It may just be me but I don't remember Richards having a temperament issue anything like Balotellis... So How would he be able to justify whether or not the others can take the heat from the racist Ukrainian fans?

3. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

Richards would be in the squad by now had he not refused to be put on the standby list.

4. redconn

redconn Active Member

Welbeck, Johnson, Lescott, anyone named Ashley, Theo

I doubt skin colour was involved

5. Theo Net-Breaker

I'm not saying it's purely because of skin colour, but more based on the way that they may respond to actual racist abuse.
    Richard's doesn't exactly come off as the calmest of people, so maybe the thought was that he might be severely affected by abuse he may recieve

6. Mick

Mick Probably won't answer PMs
    Staff Member

Hi - sorry I am not English but I'm butting in on this one anyway.

Does anyone not get the feeling that we are mostly past the whole racism thing? I mean in my 27 years I've been bombarded with nothing but "racism is not cool" so I've never really engaged in it outwith the normal cheap jibes we all make on each other's appearance.

It's got to the point where I get frustrated at listening to it being cited as a major issue (at least within the UK) when we don't put anywhere near as much emphasis on people making cheap jibes about other aspects of our collective appearance - for instance I've a ginger beard, I'm going a wee bit thin up top and I'm not as athletic as I used to be - if someone, as they often do on General Chat, was to call me a 'fat balding ginger ****' I couldn't really consider it to be anything but (dis)tasteful banter - yet making such obvious declarations on a brown person's appearance is taboo, because our descendants at one point had the crazy thought in their head that they were mentally and morally superior than these people of darker appearance.

So these days nobody really cares about colour, the people who do are idiots and everyone who has an ounce of sensibility can tell they are idiots within seconds - do we really need to labour over these idiots rather than just ignoring them and moving on with our miserable lives?

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

No.

8. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

He thought he was too good to be in the stand-by list and so he refused to be put on it, that's why he isn't going, nothing to do with racism but I'm totally unsurprised to find people trying to say it is, some people need to see a carpenter for shoulder chip removal.
    As for the whole racism thing, it makes a good excuse for some as to why they're not doing as well as their ego says they are, I was so happy Paul "they're all racist" Ince failed at blackburn while other black managers got on with the job and succeeded without resorting to using accusations of racism to get a promotion.

9. Theo Net-Breaker

Not sure if you're calling me an idiot or not, but the whole point of what I'm saying is that Richards may not have been picked due to the way he might react at the Euro's to racist abuse.
    The whole point of me saying Richards was not picked because he was black was not because Roy is in any way racist, but because Richards himself may have asked not to be picked, or Roy may have felt that Richards would have acted in a negative manner to racist abuse.

10. silkship

silkship Well-Known Member

He wasn't picked because Hodgson favoured Johnson over him. Both are similarly attacking, back-up is more defensively minded. Taking Richards and Johnson wouldnt have offered much variety. Johnson has more discipline than Richards.

I'm certain it had nothing to do with race and the way Richards would react to any form of crowd abuse.