1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

His tax affairs are a matter for him and HMRC. I don’t know why he’s published anything at all.

2. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yet people shout out loud to know what Boris has earned in the last few years.....if he had announced his earnings during a moment of cover of another big story....the comments would have been long and loud that he was trying to hide something....Rishi Sunak is no different.

3. notDistantGreen

A politician's earnings are of no interest to anyone, except in as far as where they come from, which is a matter for the Parliamentary standards people. You clearly can't have someone in high office who's in debt and vulnerable to undue influence. Ring any bells?

The politics of envy are becoming pernicious in this country, even among those who'd otherwise be considered on the right of the political spectrum i.e. Daily Mail readers. What the hell is wrong with being bright, working hard and getting rich? When did that become a sin?

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Very true Not distant, i worked hard earmnt good money and now people be moan us .. i pay plenty in tax, ni and employers tax .. vat also .. alot is jealousy

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's not that people get rich that causes the problems. What happens is the richer they get the greedier they get and the better financial advice they can afford which means they do everything within their power to avoid paying taxes that ordinary folk would just cough up. They don't need that extra million in tax saved they just want it anyway because they can. As for Boris well the man is employed to be an MP and that should be his job. Instead he goes off where he wants on holidays at somebody elses expense and earns vast extra sums doing another job. Does he even go into the House these days unless forced to? If you did a job like that how long would you last. They have no shame in any of it because of course they live a life of entitlement and see it all as a right. Again, if you did that how long would you last? There is one other side to wealth that actually does wind me up. The question is just how much do you need to have in one lifetime. Some of these people are awash with money that they could hardly spend in numerous lifetimes let alone one. Gross wealth is obscene when so many have little. Not everyone who has little is a lazy good for nothing albeit there are of course some who are. Finally I find anyone who can say anything remotely nice about Boris to be beyond saving and they don't deserve to be. If anyone holds him up as any kind of model then they get shafted regularly deservedly for bending the knee and doffing the cap to his ilk. The French had it right a couple of hundred years ago.

6. notDistantGreen

I see the Bank of England governor is today trying to blame the people retiring onto their own pension savings before the state pension age as the reason for labour shortages and the resulting inflation and interest rate rises.

Nothing to do with Brexit then Mr. Bailey, which very, very predictably cut off access to willing and efficient workers from Europe? Nothing to do with Brexit which persuaded many Europeans who'd lived and worked here for a number of years to go home?

Nothing to do with Brexit pushing up the cost of importing goods, including foodstuffs?

Nothing to do with successive governments failing over decades to ensure energy security?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The low retirement age in France of 62 must push the ratio of workers to retirees' to an unexceptable level.....Macron is like a bull in a china shop....and of course has met rather a lot of resistance to his plans of lifting it to 64.

Even 64 is low compared with the UK.....I cannot remember that level of opposition to it rising here.....more so from the female workforce if I recollect...it was a bit of a an increase for some of them.

They do love to be bolshy over there.....blocking ports etc at the first opportunity....not very EU of them really.

I retired two days before my 65th birthday.....my next door neighbour who is 84 (month older than me) has reluctantly retired this past weekend....he is broken hearted about it (health reasons).....had is own building company.....no son to take over....only a daughter......He might get his 1990's Bentley out the garage more often now.....instead of just driving his Range Rover or his tatty old truck around........he cannot relax and do nothing....he's going to drive himself or his wife mad before the summers past.

8. notDistantGreen

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I know technically we are owned by an "American citizen"....but my thoughts are....that club owners should be BRITISH.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't see why they need to be British. They need to be honest and not indulge in underhand dealings. There are a few Brits who don't fit that description so it doesn't depend on being born on this side of the Channel.

I have to comment on one comment you made above plymborn. "had his own building company......no son to take over........only a daughter". Erm!!!!! So the daughter is not capable of running anything then? Bleddy useless they are aren't they. Not worth having at all.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

She wasn't interested ....bringing up her own family then her own career and now retired herself....and now having to visit her parents daily....nothing to do about being capable or not.

Not a comment by me at all....the facts told me by him next door....so don't read into it what isn't there in the first state....typical stirring as usual.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It isn't stiring it's what you printed. No mention of as told to you so why would anyone not think it was your opinion. Maybe you need to explain better.

13. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Sort it out U2...

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Not possible BC....there is always a dig and a stir whatever I say....it's got to be the sensiblegreeny way or not at all......oh to be so perfect.

15. notDistantGreen

If everyone who owned anything in Britain had to be British then it's inevitable that nobody who's British could own anything abroad. That wouldn't half cramp the style of some very significant FTSE companies: Anglo-American, Astrazeneca, BAE Systems, BP, and BAT for example, just to name a few household names among just the "A"s and "B"s.

As Sensible Says, what's needed is compliance with law and regulation, by foreign owners here and British owners abroad. In the latter case, I believe British companies should take the moral high ground and have their overseas operations comply with whichever is the higher of local law and British law in such areas as employment rights, Health & Safety and environmental protection. I can assure that isn't always the case.

16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The chainsaw massacre of Armada Way is still making the national press.

Plymouth Council has agreed to conduct an independent review of it's decision-making process which led to the felling of 110 trees in the city centre.

Members unanimously backed the move at a meeting on Monday after Richard Bingley, the former-council leader, resigned ahead of a vote of no confidence.

Cllr Lauren McLay, of the Green Party, tabled the motion, saying she was..."dismayed and outraged at the way a vital green space.....has been destroyed". The trees in Armada Way were felled as part of a £12.7 million regeneration project, before an injunction halted the work, leaving just 16 trees standing.

Daily Telegraph...29/03/2023.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Aw didums. I'll repeat that it was the quote you put up on here word for word and not something I made up.

18. Greenarmyjoe

well people can retire when they wish if you have the funds. They seem to blame everyone but them selves for this effing mess.
    Im now 3 days a week going to 2 shortly, we cant get labour but just get on with it, its not about older people retiring , try and get a younger one to do the job or even try ., its not easy but its not all of them you get 1 in 10 maybe. we are number 8 again haha

19. Greenarmyjoe

people needed logs as the gas is to expensive :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

YOU ARE SO WRONG WIMBLEDON.....allowing them to play at Wimbledon......this year.

Russian and Belarusian players should not be at Wimbledon.....so they can win titles and walk away with prize money....they won't be to heartbroken about no flag as they count their winnings.

I think Ukranian player should refuse to play against them....and other nationalities as well.