1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our Best Midfield Pairing

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Le Tissier's Laces, Mar 15, 2021.

?

What is our best midfield pairing?

1. JWP & Oriol

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. JWP & Diallo

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Oriol & Diallo

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Just being slightly controversial, and it gives us something else to think about/discuss.

Looking at how much we missed the crunch of Oriol yesterday, I was wondering what people thought, going forwards, as to our best midfield pairing.

Diallo is a dynamic and forward thinking box to box player. Oriol is (surprisingly) the 'creator' when he plays alongside JWP, and we're all aware of his strength and toughness. JWP has a terrific engine, is a wonderful set piece exponent, but very cautious when on the ball.

So - over to you. What's the best combination?

(Just so you know, I'm beginning to lean toward Oriol and Diallo. Yes we lose out on the set piece stuff, but as a combo, strength and dynamism win out for me).

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One option you haven't considered LTL is playing all 3. The option hasn't been available to us because one of Romeu and Diallo has been injured all season. But if they were all available right now I would quite like Ralph to try it out to change things up. Maybe go 4-2-3-1 with JWP playing further forward with Armstrong and Minamino either side of him. But as we have no chance of seeing that this season I'll go with JWP and Diallo.

3. Le Tissier's Laces

Very good point.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t mind seeing Jankewitz getting a chance at some point.

NorfolkSaint likes this.
  5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

We absolutely need another option in there too. JWP has played every minute of every game in a hectic season (I haven't checked that, but it seems like he has). I'm sure even he would have benefitted from being rotated or subbed in some games. I think when he is fresher he is more likely to drive forward as he has done when we've been in trouble in the run in in the past. As for my pairing choice. It would still be Romeu and JWP for now. When all fit and fresh they can find a really nice balance between them. Certainly be interesting to see how a Diallo and Romeu partnership looks, as well as all 3 in a 3.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He may have blown it with Ralph, with the transfer request and the red card.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  7. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

We do have Smallbone if it wasn't for his horrendous injury I could of seen him getting alot of game time. I feel so gutted for the young guy.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I did whisper about Romeu and Diallo a few weeks back. Not necessarily because I think it would be better (it may be) but mainly because JWP needs a rest. He’s needed one since about November yet he still plays every minute of every game because we have no choice.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  9. fatletiss

Oh for the poll? Steve Williams and Morgan Schneiderlin.

10. saintrichie123

Yeah true, but he’s a young player who’s made a mistake.(who hasn’t made mistakes when younger)
    I hope at least Ralph has another look at him, and I hope he takes the chance if the opportunity arises.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.

11. saintrichie123

We miss someone like Jimmy Case.

12. fatletiss

Steve Williams

13. saintrichie123

Imagine Steve and Jimmy.

14. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It might be the making of him, remember Beckham getting sent for England, he never looked back after that.

15. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I honestly don’t know the answer. Part of me is curious about how Oriol and Diallo would look. Both are excellent in the tackle and both can be imaginatively creative when looking forward. But then, but then, what about JWP? I think part of his problem is that unless he scores a worldy free kick, people don’t notice all the other stuff he does, the sheer amount of ground he covers to fill gaps, or the simple linking up when the ball is switched from one side to the other. I know he has played every minute this season, but I don’t think he needs a rest, he’s just an incredible machine.

I think Tom has a good point about playing all 3 of them, but I suppose it’s academic given Oriol’s injury. Definitely something to think about over the summer,

RedandWhiteManofKent likes this.
  16. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

O'Neill,Case and Ball,Mr.Lallana wouldn't have waltzed through them buggers so easily!

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Don't come to me for the easy questions, Chilcs!

18. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I think we miss the “attacking JWP” because of the injuries. I feel that JWP playing on the front foot instead of having to think about the holding position would give us much more threat. So, as you say later, I would try all 3 if we could ......
    with Theo and (a fit) Danny in front, I think we’d worry any team ...... just an opinion ......

19. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's true that JWP no longer ghosts into the box to get into scoring positions as he used to a couple of years ago which is a shame although he is getting his share of goals by other means. It's probably the system that he is playing in and I'm guessing that Ralph wants more of a goal contribution from his 10s.

20. fatletiss

Ive been thinking about the team today and yesterday and how I could express what I try to put across at times. One thing I thought of could apply to JWP. I do think he is “tired” yet still covers lots of ground and does lots of things. However he is an extreme athlete. A high performing athlete. When you are at that level. 1% difference in part of your performance can make the difference. 2-3% even more. 5% can be huge. Therefore a player who is at 95% of his performance levels can still be doing lots right and well, but not having the same outcomes or effects. On a normal day against an opponent he might be better all day; then 2% less (which is still “good”) means he or they make less of an impact.

I think this might be where Saints are. We are not really shockingly different to where we were before, but we may be 5% or even more out and thus less effective.

Lots of maybes and ifs and possibles in here.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021