1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Our World Today

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1.....Number 10 has told business leaders that Theresa May could storm out of Brexit talks over the "divorce bill" , The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.
    A senior Downing Street figure briefed industry and city bosses to prepare for the Prime Minister walking away from negotiations in September.
    The move could be designed for "domestic consumption" to show Mrs May was playing tough over the £87.7 billion some EU figures want the UK to pay before leaving.
    The briefing took place at a point after the general election was held last month and the figure has since left in the recent overhaul of Downing Street.
    Business leaders were told that, while no final decision had been taken on walking out of talks, it was a distinct possibility.
    " I do think we are looking to be as hard-nosed, as hard-headed and as cold-eyed about this as possible to be," said a source familiar with Number 10's thinking.
    "If any of these actions take place it will be to work towards a single objective....getting the best deal that we can."
    The comments have been seen as an attempt to limit the backlash from markets if negotiations over how much Britain owes turn sour later this year.

2.....Interview with Nigel Farage...........Since the momentous result on June 23rd last year, Ukip has been in some trouble.
    For a quarter of a century, we were pretty much a lone voice in British politics calling for EU withdrawal. Many of those who had previously voted Ukip took the view in the recent elections that the job was done and Ukip's vote plunged accordingly.
    My own decision to stand down as party leader last year was bound to leave a big hole. When you are such a dominant figure, it is always going to be tough to follow. Little did I know just how dramatic this period would be.
    With Paul Nuttall's resignation, we have until the end of July for candidates to throw their hat in the ring. While many have been lobbying me and urging me to come back, I have decided that this would not be the right thing to do and I will not be standing. While I remain a strong supporter of the party and think there is a real chance in two years that Ukip may be more relevant than ever, the party itself needs serious reforms.

My thoughts....too many shady characters tried to use the party for their own means.....they need sifting out and then the party needs to reform its message....it might still have a place during... maybe "weak" negotiations with Brussel's.

3.....A man accused of lying about losing his family in the Grenfell Tower blaze to pocket £10,000 of aid appeared in court yesterday (Friday).
    Anh Nhu Nguyen, 52, allegedly conned charities and Kensington and Chelsea Council by posing as a victim of the disaster for almost two weeks, saying he had lost his wife and son in the fire.
    He was given a hotel room, clothing, food, electrical items and cash after he went to the Westway Sports Centre, set up as a relief hub for victims, claiming to have lost all his possessions.
    Nguyen of Beckenham, South East London, made no indication of a plea to the charge of fraud by false representation before Westminster magistrates yesterday. He was remanded in custody to appear at Southwark crown court on July28th.

My thoughts.....being remanded in custody was doing this man a favour from contact with real victims.

4.....A railway operator being affected by industrial action has been accused of cancelling trains despite crews being available. Southern services are being disrupted by an overtime ban by drivers in the Aslef union in a long-running dispute over driver-only trains. But union officials claimed trains from Eastbourne to London were cancelled yesterday morning even though train crew were available.
    One worker sent a message to a colleague which said: "Southern have cancelled all London trains, yet the crew, are in the mess room."

My thoughts.....Driver only trains operate elsewhere....why can't Southern and the union sort this out....maybe the Government needs to come to the rescue of thousands of passengers who have had their working lives thrown in to turmoil for a long time now....maybe a new rail operator would help.

5.....MP's have been warned not to use public Wi-Fi networks or memory sticks that are not theirs amid fears they will be targeted by cyber hackers.
    Handbooks given to new members last month also told MP's to lock their computers when leaving the office and be wary of "hoax websites".

My thoughts.....Locking you computer when leaving the office and using other people's memory sticks is rather obvious.....don't they train new MP's in these basic necessities.

6.....A mother left her two young boys at home on their own with just a pan of soup to eat so she could travel to Paris to make wedding arrangements with a man she met online, a court heard.
    The single mother left the brothers, aged six and 11, in Bradford, while she left at 6am for France before returning about midnight the following day.
    Bradford Crown Court heard that the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, wanted the boys to stay with a family friend, but after they refused, she was then "persuaded" by her older son that he and his brother would be fine at home.
    The youngest child, however, told his teacher his mother was in France, and the brothers were placed in overnight accommodation by social services, and police arrested the mother upon her arrival home.
    The woman, in her 30s, pleaded guilty to neglecting her sons and was given a six month prison sentence suspended for 12 months.

My thoughts....I wonder how the "wedding" plans are going.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

BRITAIN would not vote to leave the crumbling European Union if another referendum was held, a shock poll has found.

A Survation survey showed a clear majority of Brits (54 per cent) would vote to remain in the EU if another referendum was held, while 46 per cent would back Brexit.

The poll also found 36 per cent of those quizzed also said the best outcome would be stop exit talks altogether and work to stay in the crumbling European superstate.

Less than a quarter of people (24 per cent) supported the Government’s current position of leaving the customs union in order to strike free trade deals with other countries.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/823709/Brexit-poll-Britons-vote-stay-EU-another-refendum

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1. "The Sunday Telegraph can reveal" Really? "Said a source FAMILIAR with No.10s thinking" Really?

When put like that I don't tend to believe any of it is my opinion.

2. Why is anyone even interviewing Farage anymore? UKIP are finished as a party and have no influence anymore.

3. Shock horror who is surprised at all by this story? Were the activists in court booing the defendant? Doubt it.

4. Privatise the railways never mind look for another lot to manage a franchise. The whole country is chaotic these days just to travel on the damned thing.

5. MPs were not born with computer skills anymore than anyone else is. Advise is never a bad thing and you should never take for granted that somebody knows what they are doing with technology.

6. I blame reality TV for raising the expectations of the masses. All sense of responsibility goes out the window when looking to keep up with everyone else on Facebook etc. We should counsil the poor woman.

and

7. I resisted reading a newspaper for yet another day and don't feel the slightest deprived for it.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Signs that it is the EU that are actually doing the leaving,

In recent months the EU has opened up two new fronts. Together they prove that the status quo is not an option, We leave or we join the march towards a unified state.
    The first area is tax, In theory, tax is an untouchable area for the EU. The power to set rates is reserved for the member states. Nevertheless, a plan is underway to harmonise taxes.
    Step one is to make the tax rules the same in every European country. The EU loves to give revolutionary ideas tedious names in order to deter scrutiny, and this one is a gem: the Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base (CCCTB). The tax codes of all 28 member states will be replaced by a single code. Legal definitions will be the same in Estonia and Portugal. Taxable allowances and deductions identical in Italy and Hungary.
    Then come harmonised tax rates. French President Emmanuel Macron, is leading the push. He ran for the Presidency on a manifesto calling for convergence of EU corporate taxation, and singled out Ireland causing market bias with it's 12.5 % rate, half his preferred rate for France. Enda Kenny, the former Irish Taoiseach, was mightily displeased at the assault, reminding Macron that tax is "our business".
    Last Wednesday, Pierre Moscovic, European commissioner for economic and financial affairs, ended all doubt. He said EU control of taxes was necessary for "our mission", and announced support for a pan-European financial transactions tax on shares and bond trading. Incoming tax and social benefits are next, he declared. Money,of course, is power. When the EU seizes tax rights, it gains an iron grip over member states.

The second breakthrough is the creation of an EU army. Again, the EU refuses to admit any such plan exists, and slathers military chatter in acronyms and euphemisms to deter all but the most determined investigator. So the commissioner for foreign affairs, Federica Mogherini, insists the EU force is merely a "battle group". In a recent speech she celebrated the launch of the Military Planning and Conduct Capability (MPCC), the first military structure controlled by Brussels. She admits visiting "our men and women in uniform in Mali" adorned with EU badges, and yet still denies an army exists. Next up is the activation of the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) which allows a core of countries to press on with a "coherent security and defence policy" based on Article 42 (6) of the Lisbon Treaty. An army in all but name.
    President Juncker is openly calling for a Brussels-controlled armed forces: "A joint EU army would show the world that there would never again be a war between EU countries," he told the... Welt am Sonntag... newspaper.

The EU....claims to respect the rights of member states, while manoeuvring to annex those rights. It might take a few beers to get the point across. But the messages is sobering. The UK is leaving its current position, but the EU is also off on a journey of its own.

I'm sorry folks for continually upsetting you with the same old story....but I firmly believe that most of the stories that people cast aside as scaremongering are coming to fruition.....we are so ensnared into EU laws after over 40 years that it will take forever to untangle the mess.....imagine if we had lost the right to tax our own people and defend our own borders with a UK military force as well ....there would never be a way out....sovereignty would be lost forever in a huge Federal State.

5. notDistantGreen

Much of that is of course BECAUSE the UK is leaving,: I saw the guy on TV yesterday and the comment about taxes was in relation to covering the loss of the UK's contribution to the EU budget. Don't forget though that we get a proportion of that back in agricultural subsidies, research grants and capital funding for poor areas eg Cornwall.

What the bureaucrats say and what the member states will agree to are 2 different things. By threatening to leave, we've thrown the whole EU project up in the air and left our Euro sceptic friends in Scandinavia and Central Europe without their most powerful ally in opposing more unification.

If we were leaving because we couldn't avoid these things by veto or opt out, I'd have some sympathy with a Brexit. We aren't. We're leaving because some don't like the smell of foreign cooking.

6. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

That's beneath you notDistant.....not liking the smell of foreign food is a cheap comment....are food tastes were being influenced far before we joined the free trading area that was once the Economic Union.

The reawakening of our fishing industry could be just around the corner.

The Government will officially announce plans today to reclaim its waters for British fishermen by pulling out of the London Fisheries convention, which pre-dates the EU.
    But the decision has angered ministers in Ireland, traditionally close allies of the UK on Brexit issues.
    The deal allows vessels from France, Belgium, Germany, Ireland and the Netherlands to fish within six and 12 nautical miles of the UK coastline.
    Britain says pulling out would let the UK regain control of its waters. Michael Creed, the Irish agriculture and marine minister, dubbed the announcement "unwelcome and unhelpful".
    He said "It is part of Brexit and will be considered by the EU27 member states and the Michel Barnier team when the negotiations commence".

My comment..... if we leave, our fishing waters are not up to being considered by the EU27....cheeky, expecting to still have control over our fishing grounds.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I will explain the sarcasm to you plym and it has nothing to do with cooking as such. It is a reference to people not wanting or liking jonnie foreigner in THEIR country. It's the equivalent of Trump building a wall without the bricks. Everyone condemns Trump for his attitude and then prompty wants to get rid of foreigners from here. How double standard can you get eh?

As for scaremongering coming to fruition well yes that's true. The scaremongering though is where people told you that the **** would hit the fan for the UK in the end. Those determined to join the lemmings at the cliff edge of course dismissed all of this as pie in the sky. A question for you. Have you noticed how prices have begun to climb steeply? Guess what that's a result of. Have you noticed how quiet the exit politicians have been since the vote? That's the old "nothing to do with me <whistle>" syndrome. If I say nothing now people might forget which way I swayed in the vote. Have you noticed how much the currency has dropped since the vote? You keep thinking it's a good thing all you want but please stop trying to persuade the rest of us.

8. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I prefer the smell of The EU foods and world foods, its better than the **** served up in the uk and healthy..

Just look at the younger generation, These people on benefits or scroungers.. Spend there money on tattoos and scratch cards.. Neither are cheap.. A sleeve tattoo to an arm is thousands. A lad who works for me wanted half a day.. he came bag with an outline on the back of his calf tattooed. 400.00 pounds.. How do you learn that i may take it up part time. Good on the people doing it as they must be earning good money.. the sportsman are all covered in them.. Dont see many tennis players with them yet or have they.. :smiley-finger007:

9. notDistantGreen

There's apparently a hooded flasher at work in Dorset, Police have asked the public to report anything they see, no matter how small.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I'll keep an eye out I'm down Bournemouth in a week or so.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Lionel Messi has been handed a £221.000 fine instead of 21 months in jail.
    The Barcelona and Argentina superstar, 30, and his father Jorge were convicted last year of a £3.6 million tax fraud.
    A Spanish court said yesterday it had exchanged the prison sentence for fines for both of them.
    The father will have to pay a £159,000 fine in place of his 15-month term.

Good grief that must hurt....must be as much as 4 days pay for Messi.....who says tax fraud crime does't pay.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Poor old Messi family. He's just got married as well so that's another mouth to feed. Still, plenty of foodbanks about apparently if you can get into them for all the nurses and firemen etc.

Saw Jezza on the news again today. I swear the bloke is beginning to think he's a pop star or something. Becoming a right media whore. If he ever does get into power he will be fighting Donald Trump for the camera shot no doubt.

Remember that bloke wot looked into the war. Gulf one that is . Mr Chilcott said that Tone misled the country with the info he gave us. No fecking flies on him is there and no wonder he was in charge of the enquiry. I could have saved them countless millions in expenses if they'd asked me. Could have told them that for free. Anyone see the pictures of Mosel being retaken from ISIS. It's fighting over a pile of bricks now and from what I've seen of the rest of Iraq there isn't much else left standing in the country. Geddon Tone though you set them all free.

13. notDistantGreen

That's not what Chilcott said.... that's what the papers are reporting, I saw the interview.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We're all wiser in hindsight.....there are many things we all would have done differently if we knew the outcome years down the line.
    Most are small and unimportant moments......some can be life changing.....sometimes a decision by someone can change the path of history....and they have to live with the consequences of that moment....Blair teaming up with that numpty Bush can be seen as a bad day for Blair.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Blair had years of bad days, he should have been swung instead of Saddam along with Basil Bush,, Criminals..

Saddam had the countyr under his control.. What did he do to US?

16. notDistantGreen

If the Prime Minister isn't able to declare war, then never mind the ECJ, we are finished as a nation.

17. Greenarmyjoe

Watch out for the New terror group the CRA, Cornish Republican Army.. They are cleansing the area... Targeting second home owners from England..
    Fire bombed rick stein take way.. :emoticon-0146-punch:eek:

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The PM should not be able to just declare war on anyone in this day and age. There has to be a reason notdistant and not one he has made up to look big in the US. Blair is a liar and he should be put in the dock for what he did both to the UK forces and to a whole nation that is Iraq. He and Bush contrived to remove what they called a despot and have replaced the one with many others and left a country that is in shreds. Not only that but with hundreds of thousands of it's inhabitants dead. There can be no excuse for the lies he told and Chilcot was never going to put it in those words. What he said was that he started the war on what he personally believed and not with any evidence he had that backed it up. In other words the reasons given turned out to be a lie ergo Blair is a liar.

Joe is right about who should have faced punishment and if hanging was the right thing for Hussain then why not our criminal.

19. Greenarmyjoe

What reason did he have to go to WAR or legitimate one?
    Chilcott, wont say to much . He has been paid thousands by who ever asked for the enquiry and then the Brown envelopes.. He must have been one of Blatters mates..
    I suppose the same will be of the Grenfel enquiry with the dodgy QC who has been appointed. Every enquiry is a stitch up and they all get away with it.
    Took 30 years for the Hilsborough one and now some charges against some people, hope fully they get locked up..

Every enquiry is a farce and corrupt, it is not fair on the people who loose loved ones.

Blair is no different, slimmy tw at .. he should have been tried in the same court as Saddam.. Blair is a war criminal like all the others he said were .. He has just walked away with Millions ..
    orHim and Bush caused all this trouble through the middle east and the terrorists that we have now.

20. notDistantGreen

We can't have a public debate everytime the armed forces are deployed. It hasn't been done that way throughout history because it takes too long and compromises the very safety of the forces you seek to protect.

We elect the government to govern and those that join the services, there being no conscription, know that they may be called on to fight. It's not all foreign travel and sports.

If we aren't going to use the armed forces then I know we're we can save a few billion as we might as well not have them.

You can argue the merits of particular conflicts. One thing is for sure, Saddam was a monster who variously invaded Kuwait, conducted a bloody war with Iran, used chemical weapons against his own people and slaughtered thousands in a campaign of repression and torture. The world's better off without him. Similarly Gaddafi. It's not our fault if the Arab countries seem incapable of governing themselves except by violence and terror.