1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pandemic restrictions

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by vinkel, Jul 12, 2021.

1. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

Do you agree if restrictions are lifted today, I do. I think it's time us Joe public took some responsibility and act in a safe and considerate way without having to be told.

2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Not sure really. All the COVID stuff they’ve done has helped stop umbers spiralling. But it’s also stopped flu and other contagious diseases being passed on. The stats are absolutely flabbergasting! (I work with them fir a few CCGs). Crazy to think about

3. Yep! We've had enough. We've protected the NHS,time for them to do their job and protect us.
    We've been vaccinated,kids don't appear to suffer from it.....bin the restrictions,let's get on with our lives.**** this daft track and trace off once and for all.
    If anyone gets ill,they'll have to be dealt with in hospital the same as any other disease.
    Time for the Govt. to do what successive Govts.in decades gone by have failed to do.....spend the cash,get the hospitals upgraded with equipment and staff,and let them get on with it.

4. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty of evidence that contradicts this, particularly people like the absolute bellends that forced their way into Wembley yesterday.

Some people have to be told what to do, because they don't have the intelligence or common sense to tow the line and do the right thing.

Just my opinion of course.

Chip, RTB, Norway and 4 others like this.
  5. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Yes, we should be acting responsibly. Continuing to wear masks in indoor spaces, continuing to observe social distancing, not going out if we have symptoms. No one should need to be told this. Unfortunately, many do need to be told.

6. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Disagree with this part. Maybe on public transport and crowded indoor places but not in shops/pubs/restaurants

7. The Norton Cat

You don't have to when seated in a pub or restaurant anyway, so where's the problem. Its considerate to other people, so why not just do it?

8. TopCat_

So what's the point of wearing one to walk 2 meters to a table? Totally pointless. Don't need to be "considerate to other people" when you are fully vaccinated and testing twice weekly anyway

9. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

So the covid restrictions have been law unless you were a politician or celebrity you obeyed them.

Now the government is saying we are lifting the law on the restrictions but expect you to still to follow them...

DH4 likes this.
  10. The Norton Cat

It shows willingness and that you are respectful of other people's health. That's just being a decent person.
    As has been pointed out on other threads, being vaccinated doesn't prevent you getting it or spreading it. So doing even minor things to help prevent the spread is the morally right thing to do. Even Johnson has said today, "we expect you to keep wearing them". There's always a need to be considerate to other people.

RTB, Dorset and gelders pie like this.

11. The Norton Cat

This is a good point. If they aren't law, many people won't follow them. This should be a further lifting of restrictions, not a complete abandonment.

12. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

But shops and pubs are two of the worst environments for spreading viruses, so me and Mrs Dorset will continue to wear our masks in those places.

13. TopCat_

I'll wear one in crowds but not in pubs/restaurants/shops - I'm not a huge pub goer anyway and never go to the trendy ones that get rammed

14. The Norton Cat

Not having a dig, but why not?

15. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

It's your choice of course, but is it that difficult to wear a mask that protects you, as well as others?

I'm teetotal so only go in pubs for meals, but I'll continue to wear a mask until I'm sat at my table, not just for my safety, but more importantly for the people who work in these places.

gelders pie and The Norton Cat like this.
  16. TopCat_

Because I don't feel it is necessary any more. To start with, my vaccine status and regular testing gives me confidence that I have no germs to share. Secondly the vast majority of masks do nothing, they are largely a placebo to make people feel a bit safer - don't forget, many people started wearing them to protect themselves until the scientists came out saying they don't stop you getting germs, then only lessen the chance of you giving people germs. Thirdly, if I'm walking from the pub entrance to a table 3 feet away where I can sit and drink all night without a mask, does it really make any difference for those 10 seconds if I AM wearing a mask?

If I'm anywhere that asks people to wear a mask I will absolutely do it - am desperate to get out to Canada and if I have to spend 8 hours with a mask on to do so then I will, but in settings that don't require them, or the guidance is to make your own decision etc then I'll go without

I've never had an issue with masks and have been 99.9% compliant with all rules since this pandemic started, but with the vaccines working and the hospitals not full I believe it's time to show courage and get on with life. I don't have an issue with anyone wearing a mask, it's a totally personal choice and who knows, I might feel differently when I'm out and about in coming weeks

Dancingstripes likes this.
  17. The Norton Cat

Fair enough. If the rules are lifted its entirely your choice. I have to say, your assertions regarding the efficacy of the vaccines and of masks are contradictory to what the scientific advisors are saying. I'm not sure that wearing a mask shows a lack of courage either.

18. Draig

Draig Well-Known Member

Every time someone contracts covid it is a chance for the virus to mutate again, become more transmissible, more difficult to recognise (eg delta variant has very different symptoms so people don't think they have covid and so don't self isolate - thus spreading the infection) and become more able to avoid the defences gained from previous infection and vaccination.

Your statement 'we are protected' is really just illusory.

It is like WW2 when the French were happy sitting behind the Maginot line. This protection was fine against the original mode of frontal assault but was defeated once the germans changed mode of operation to use airborne assault coupled with attacking through the Ardennes region.

We haven't broken the link between the virus and severe illness, we have only weakened it. This pandemic is far from over.

Chip, RTB, Dorset and 1 other person like this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

And we're back at the SoL.....

20. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member