1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Paul Gascoigne

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by bcfcredandwhite, Mar 6, 2024.

1. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

clingo likes this.
  2. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

3. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

He’s an alcoholic, it’s a disease. Reminds me a lot of Best.

4. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

But it was the fame that lead him to alcoholism.

5. AshtonRed

If your an alcoholic, you’re an alcoholic, if it is wasn’t fame it would have been something else.

6. clingo

clingo Well-Known Member

Interesting theory. Are you saying all alcoholics are born thus?
    Anyway, whatever the cause, it's a sad tale.

7. AshtonRed

Very sad. Great player

clingo likes this.
  8. raver

raver Well-Known Member

That statement is so incorrect it beggars belief

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Sad news to hear of a great talent of football passing away and my thoughts go out to his family and friends at this time. <rose>

clingo likes this.
  10. bcfcredandwhite

Er - Mike he’s not died yet. He’s just in a bad way and broken mentally.

AshtonRed likes this.

11. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Fantastic player
    Close to bring the best this country has ever produced in my opinion when he could harness his ability and focus on football

Needed people like Bobby Robson to keep him grounded but always seemed easily led by others

But a unique talent that’s for certain

12. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

So sad a talent just like Best-Maradona shame they end up in such a bad way.

13. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Best yes, absolutely !
    Maradona was an amazing talent, but with the hand of God cheating and the drug taking, he's way down my list.

bcfcredandwhite likes this.
  14. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Oops I wondered why I couldn't find any news of his fate on either BBC Sport or News. A howler from me in thinking differently.

15. bcfcredandwhite

I don’t want to redirect the thread but you raise an interesting point AshtonRed.
    When do you become anything ‘aholic’?
    People are not born addicts - an addiction usually manifests itself in the late teens early 20s. Particularly smoking or alcohol. But what constitutes an addiction?
    For me, I absolutely LOVE beer. I totally accept that I drink too much of the stuff - but does that make me an alcoholic? Some, (particularly teetotallers) would say yes, without any hesitation. However, I would ask this; If you enjoy your early morning cup of coffee (I do) and you wake up one morning and can’t have it for whatever reason, and it makes you slightly annoyed because you looked forward to it, does that mean you have an unhealthy relationship with caffeine?
    On the same line, if you look forward to a pint in your local, or a can from the fridge when you get home from work, and it’s closed/unavailable, you might feel annoyed - but straight away you’re an alcoholic in some peoples eyes - because you got irritated when you can’t have your tipple of choice.
    Human behaviour and addictions are very complicated. Poor old Gazza clearly has issues and I wish him all the best.
    Not really sure where I’m going with this except to say that some people can’t help themselves (ie Gazza and Best) whereas others just have a bad habit which is part of, but doesn’t control, their lives. Very different things imho.

16. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

In the late 60's, 70's and early 80's I drank far to much! [ beer then was about 3% or a tad less! It was nothing to to get through 10-15 pints on a Saturday night and often where i stayed there was a birthday barrel that needed to be consumed so come 3 or 4 am the session would have lasted 8 or 9 hours 4 or 5 hours kip and we off exploring the delights of Mendip underground!
    I used to have a half pint of of "full milk" 15-20mins before the pub. Depending on shift patterns any week would be in excess of 10 pints minimum a "good week" it would be over 20 pints ... I never thought that was an addiction though!
    Since 2011 I have only had 2 sessions... Near Fort William on a Friday started at 1300hrs and was asked to depart to the bunkroom .with our pints and a refill if required at 0100 hours ... in a round of 4 and had a few bought us to boot I had a minimum of 14 pints and 2 malts I bought 4 rounds [ each with a £20 note... since then best has been 9 pints at a wedding last September BEER FREE have the plastic beakers for each pint! MAKE GOOD PLANTERS FOR MY SEEDS!...............
    Addiction ... has to be regular? ...daily and to excess BIGGEST addiction now is vaping .. people I know that smoke[d] seem to be puffing ever heavier and almost continuously .......

17. AshtonRed

Too much alcohol does affect the mental capacity, you obviously had too much at an early age. Too many brain cells lost <laugh><laugh>