1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pep: could it happen?

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Christiansmith, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

LVG's tiki taka played at a slower pace :bandit:

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Is that actually possible?

You talking about that walking football pensioners play?

3. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

The more I watch Bayern Munich the more I want Pep as our next manager. They are playing some of the most fluent and exciting football in Europe

4. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

you are right <grr>

Erratum: LVG's is Pep's Tiki Taka played at a slower pace.

5. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Ahh, Gotcha.

I knew that's what you meant. And therein lies the importance of punctuation and grammar in all things.

<ok>

6. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It is a valid point, but then did anyone ever win La Liga or the Bundesliga playing tika taka or a close version of it before Pep came along? Can't think of many off the top of my head, although I'm sure there will be one or two out there somewhere.

Probably a fair few in Serie A tho'

7. Sweats

Sweats Fat lives matter
    Forum Moderator

Aren't we about to bomb them??

theevilreddevil likes this.
  8. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Only if Farrage manages to hijack the vote...

9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Arsene failed to win a title playing his variation of tike take for one simple reason - he never addressed his defensive frailty either tactically or in terms of players. Pep at Barca or Bayern has always put a huge effort on defence, starting with that rock solid anchor in midfield which often gets missed bcos ppl are busy getting mesmerised by their attack.

How would Pep do in the prem? I cant say for sure... but how have his teams faired against the best in the prem, season in season out playing in the CL. They've not had many problems imo.

10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

What Wenger failed to install in his fancy passing teams was a pair of bollocks.

His defence was alright, they just had no fight and he installed an attitude in them that made them think being tackled was somehow against the rules.

All about attitude I'm afraid, they are/were spineless, moaning lightweights.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I wouldn't disagree with that. The ability to graft is "beneath him" somehow. But even basics like defending set pieces still to this day seem lost on Wenger.

12. Stan

Stan Stalker

Wenger loves banging on about how his team has shown mental strength. Rarely has a team held itself back so much by being so mentally weak and when I say "team" I mean Arsenal 2004-Present Day.

13. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

It's 101 reverse psychology from Wenger. He knows they lack mental strength and so he continues to reiterate it as some childlike way to encourage his players.

14. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

You need astute players all over the team to make tiki taka work. Pep has always had great wide players, strong core through the middle and amazing strikers as Chief pointed out. I believe this is LVG's vision but Ashley Young on the right/left ain't going to cut. Nor is fkn Rooney. You need players with 90% excellent first touch for the third half of the pitch. We don't have that, yet. But I believe this is the gap we will be looking to close in the next two transfer windows.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You need Brazillian players to play for Brazil. This can be a bit of a problem if you're managing Germany <laugh> Nevertheless that doesn't mean you can't play great football.

BTW if we need another two transfer windows to close the gap then someone at the club needs shooting. Imo we have plenty of players who have an excellent first touch. We just need a playing style that encourages them to use it.

16. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

Up front? We have Rooney and Martial. And Rooney no longer has the first touch. He has fked up so many times with his heavy touch it's not even funny. That has nothing to do with the system.

17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You said players with a good first touch in the third half of the pitch. That's not just Rooney and Martial, the third half of the pitch (which I'm assuming you mean final third) also includes Mata, Herrera, Young, even Depay and Schneiderlin if he's ever given free reign to get forward. The reason they don't is all about the system and style of football.

BTW Barcelona don't just play one touch football when Messi or Neymar get the ball, they play pacy one touch football all over the pitch. We have plenty of players that are more than capable.

18. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have more faith in our final half players. For me, only Herrera, Martial and Mata would make the cut. Depay would be backup on the left until he becomes consistent. Rooney would be out of the picture along with Fellani.