1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Peterborough

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

• www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/have-peterborough-united-been-rumbled-can-the-strikers-keep-carrying-the-rest-of-the-team-questions-manager-darren-ferguson-must-be-pondering-1-9128152

"Mo Eisa, Ivan Toney and Marcus Maddison have now scored more goals between them (33) than any other TEAM in the top four divisions bar Manchester City,

Manager Darren Ferguson admitted before the game( Blackpool) that his team’s weaknesses - presumably he meant a fragile centre-back pairing, an inability to keep the ball effectively and no width - would be common knowledge around the circuit and sure enough Blackpool overcame availability issues at the back to play effectively with wing-backs, while leaving giant striker Armand Gnaduillet to cause havoc up front."

you look at the league table and whilst they score a lot of goals they also conceed a lot. so free scoring Peterborough with a weak defence , play shrewsbury the team with the second worst scoring ratio in the league with a good defensive record. so far on his trips back to town i dont think ivan tony has scored but this must change at some point.

2. Zenfootball2

we need a battling performance from our midfield to give our defence some respit and better distribution to give our forwards some options, this is a game were you wont to see whalley rampaging down the wing to put some pressure on there center backs.

3. Zenfootball2

whilst frustrating to watch the pass back ,pass across then pass back it servers the purpose of stifling Peterborough . town had the better chances but not enough end product. the goal was a relief suprised by how there defence just seem to freeze.
    i thought the ref was very poor and bought every dive Ivan Toney made, the penalty was an utter farce. Edwards had one of the best chances when he one on one should at least have forced a save.

the game opened up in the second half, whilst Peterbourough attacked with pace towns defence did a god job, thought love and whalley linked up well. all credit to town for a hard working performance and a valuable three points

was this an entertaing game no it was not ,neither was the quality of the football. if that had been my first shrewsbury game i am not sure i would go again.
    we do not have an entertaining team but we do have a team that are getting results.
    i hope O'Leary's injury is not to serious

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  4. Zenfootball2

i was intrested to see what the posh fans thought this was my favorite;
    "Well that was poor, if it hadn't been for the referee any one of the Posh player's could have been the worst person on the pitch, clueless"
    most seem unhappy with the tactics used and the poor performance by there team.

i was suprised by how poor they were i was expecting a lot more silky skills and more pressuer on our goal.( you could also argue that town managed to nulify them)

5. Zenfootball2

www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/talking-points-from-peterborough-united-s-defeat-as-shrewsbury-as-formation-team-selection-and-substitutions-cause-a-surprise-credit-to-shrewsbury-and-why-it-might-be-worth-dropping-ivan-toney-for-the-fa-cup-tie-1-9131491

the writer of this article does not hold back on there views!

"Shrewsbury are awful to watch. They’ve now scored 13 goals in 16 League One matches and yet if they win their game in hand they will be just one point behind free-scoring Posh. Clearly there is more than one way to win a football match. Shrewsbury manager Sam Ricketts deserves credit for getting the best out his limited squad, but maybe it’s boredom that persuaded the home fans to hurl abuse at their former loan striker Toney all game, a player far superior to anyone loitering in the Shrews squad."

one nice thing is the photo of the Thompson brothers shaking hands after the game

6. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

Some Peterborough fans seem to think they have a right to walk this league though historically they have never been that much better than us. They certainly splash the cash and have improved players like Toney. Missed the game but looks like we deserved it from the highlights. How that penalty was awarded was beyond me but at least justice was done in the end. We need to keep it tight at the back against an in- form Bradford tomorrow and hope we get a bit more clinical in front of goal. I cannot remember a season where the defence is out scoring the midfield like this one - come on Norburn, Edwards and co and hit that target.

Zenfootball2 likes this.