1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Plymouth's goal last night

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

At the end of the day playing in conditions like that have the propensity to increase the risk of career ending knee injuries.

The pressure on the knee from suddenly having to stop and change direstion/momentum exert massive forces on the joints.

I've had 7 knee operations myself and whilst going through rehab my surgeon told me that an extremely large % of knee injuries occur from people walking whilst texting. The don't see what's in front of them and have to stop suddenly jarring the knee. This is the same jarring that would occur in a match where the player is anticipating that the ball will run but then it suddenly stops.

The football league and the clubs have a duty of care to the players. From what i understand the Plymouth match was a sudden heavy downpour. The match should have been stopped whilst attempts were made to clear the deluge of water and continued when it was safe to do so.

Our match against Pompey should never have started.

2. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

Saw this the other day, the view from behind the goal makes it look even worse.

3. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Imagine watching that. It is like a comedy sketch. I know it was late in the game but it really bears no resemblance to a football game. Just stop it and give Plymouth the points. I would 100% ask for my money back if a whole game was played in those conditions. In fact I would leave and go for a pint. Referees have to protect safety in the rules, that looks like a failure to me. Next thing we will be finishing league 1 games in a pea souper.

We call off amateur games for less. It isnt about being pathetic or not manning up. It is about the next day. Can you go and be a painter, a joiner, an IT person or a footballer. To cross your fingers for 10 minutes is negilgent.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just for info for everyone by somebody who was actually there. It rained steadily throughout the game. However, the pitch we have drains like a dream and so there were no problems up to somewhere around nearly the 90 minute mark. With about 10 minutes to go the rain stopped being steady and became a Monsoon. The puddles began to appear with a couple of minutes to go and then quickly turned into pools. They played around 7 minutes in total in those conditions and the players sensibly didn't try to take each other out. That is both sides. The points were won by then and the third goal is just comedy value.

For those who know Home Park it being in the middle of a park you may be aware that several thousand would have walked down through the park to get to their cars etc. The water pouring down the pathway they take was more akin to a canoe slalom course. By the time I got home via a mates car my shoes were half full of water and my jeans had doubled in weight. My coat was running with water and I had a brolly. All that in 15 minutes of being outside the ground. The supporters were probably at more risk of drowning than the players.

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Or if Sunderland are winning.

6. Oldsandy

Oldsandy Well-Known Member

Can’t remember., but I think it was a draw.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  7. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

<applause>

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Why is any of this even relevant mate? Football vs Real Life is a pointless yardstick. It’s not about “getting your feet wet”, it’s about playing in conditions which endanger the safety of the players. Which this and our Portsmouth game both did.

not even sure why you need to bring up that people have had to put up with Covid conditions. It’s cost me over £15k and I still think the games should be called off

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    GaryClark and Ozzymac like this.