1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Poch to United

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Lovearsenalcock, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Morning All...couldn't fInd a thread for it so thought I'd start one

Basically with all the rumours surrounding Poch to United...who advises a manager to not say anything to suggest he is staying if indeed he has no intentions of leaving? Personally I think it's poor of the Spurs hierarchy to not say anything. Even poorer of Poch not to say anything to the contrary. I'm sick of stupid side shows de railing our season...I'm also sick of the obvious tapping up via the media. However I expect nothing less of scummy newspapers and trolls. But why doesn't the club and Poch come and say anything for the Spurs fans?

Maybe he has had a little word with the squad to suggest he's staying...however that's no good to us, the fans. Now for the last 4 years wether it's transfers, stadium move etc...there is always a spanner in the works. Now the stadium build is coming to an end we have got strong rumours linking Poch away from the club.

Does it hurt the club to make a statement? So the rest of us related to the club can get on with supporting the team instead of worrying about our manager? Can't Poch make a statement of sorts? For me silence is a bit disrespectful to Spurs fans and also suggests a deliberate ploy to leave ones options open....now if he is very ghappy as he says he always is....make a statement. I don't think it's cool and quirky to be cryptic in situations like this unless you may have other designs in mind.

Plus let's see what Levy is made of...lets see if he backs his man since one of the main factors in Poch leaving...if indeed he does, will be his transfer kitty. Poch has a better squad...better harmony and infrastructure at Spurs in order to succeed...why would he leave? Only reason I can think of is that he would be backed heavily in the transfer market.

Let's hope Loyalty is enough...for me strong clubs and individuals have no issues making such a statement unless there is an element of doubt.

2. Not sure there is any issue with either the club or Poch's stance on this so far. He stated sympathy with Mourinho and only said he's totally focussed on the job in hand with Spurs. This has always been his response to the hacks.

It's not for the club to react to media speculation especially when United have already moved on with a temporary replacement.

Poch will no doubt move on in time but it won't be now - and unlikely for another 12/18 months at least - regardless of available transfer funds.

Chill, my friend..... :emoticon-0148-yes:

3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Morning mate, bit of an issue considering the circus that will be surrounding our manager for the rest of this very important season and Summer and beyond

12-18 months? That's not long term and what does it cost the club or Poch to say he's not interested? Regardless of how he plays the media...this is not a pre game press conference and he's just been asked if he's interested in the latest N'Koudou. This is everyone saying our manager is the favourite and more so..it's the way the agenda is being driven...I don't see why he can't say otherwise...and put the brakes on it. It's like someone saying your leaving the wife..the kids are thinking is he? Just say something...if he enjoys flirting with the media he can do that in the pre match conferences he has every week.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

The only reason I understand the club staying quiet is if they want to lead United up the garden path...then say No at the crucial time in order to de rail them further when it comes to appointing a permanent manager. That would make sense to me...but in all honesty..a steady ship at Spurs should be the priority and I'm sure a statement would help more than it wouldn't.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  5. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I am genuinelly not worried about Poch leaving for Utd. I stated this on the rival watch thread yesterday and nothing that the media are saying will currently convince me otherwise.

The media have an agenda, they will do anything to undermine us, the media is hugely Manchester and LIverpool biased and they hate to see us competing at the top table. We give the media very little, Levy avoids media contact like the plague and Poch treats them with general disdain. He is careful with his words and with English not being his native tongue I think he is especially careful. He doesn't like to answering questions about their speculation he generally deals in facts and when he said that he is currently focussed on his job then thats what he is doing.

He is not yet the finished article either, how many times have we here questioned his selections and tactics in big matches, he will move on eventually, but he will lead us out at our magnificent new stadium for a few years yet and hopefully deliver silverware along the way too

6. I must have missed something, as the only media coverage has been classic Fail 2+2=7. No direct quotes - in fact no indirect ones either.
    Everything that Poch says suggests he's going nowhere - his only proviso is generally whether he maintains the confidence of DL. And that's not in question I'm sure.

I said 12-18 months AT LEAST and honestly believe that if the club progresses over that period then it could be longer. I would love him to stay for 5 years. But equally, if things go south, then it would be mutually beneficial to go separate ways.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  7. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

Like always, the media furore over Mourinho being sacked is the usual over the top nonsense. It's only 24 hours since his departure so it's going to be at maximum - defcon 1. We've got the usual polls, phone ins and ex-players giving their two cents on who should be their next manager, with Poch always coming out top or being touted.

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is apparently taking over as interim boss now, so in a few days the usual media storm will start to cool down, so the hacks will get back to focussing on football and seeing how he does. No one.... I repeat... no one is going to be installed as United manager until the end of the season. So that gives us time.

Let's ensure we make the right decisions and statements between now and May next year, and use time (intelligently) as our ally.

If Levy is cute, he'll have a chat with Poch, discuss plans, give him assurances about transfer targets and money in the kitty and above all else, make him feel valued and wanted. If an improved contract is needed or a more solid commitment is required, then have that conversation. But I think Poch wants assurances about developing the squad, adding new faces and getting into that glorious new stadium of ours.

I don't see what good making a club statement would do at this stage. No approach (as far as we know) has been made for Poch, so any public statement would look like panic from within.

As long as there's an understanding between Poch and Levy on their respective positions, and they are both happy and have agreed where we are going together and how we are going to address the inevitable questions from the media, I don't see there being a problem.

Like all these situations, it will blow over and if United come calling, we tell them in no uncertain terms, Poch is going nowhere and kill it dead.

8. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We have got time for the reasons you have stated...it might also demonstrate to Poch what Levy really thinks of him if he doesn't give him assurances and a transfer kitty. This might also sway Poch hence the quietness...I'm playing Devil's advocate here and the only reason I don't see a statement of intent is if there is possible uncertainty. I understand that everything is speculation at this point.

9. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

There is very little thought gone into this from the media too - at least 1 very good candidate has been completely ignored and he won the premier just 2 seasons and the FA Cup last year and has experience of clearing up Jose's mess - Step forward Antonio Conte

10. perrymanlegend

perrymanlegend Well-Known Member

Over here as well the media are wetting themselves by declaring him the favourite. One of our talkback radio stations interviewed some bloke called Jonathan from Talk ****e and he said that Spurs have been punching above their weight and he is the reason and would be a perfect fit due to his using the homegrown players instead of bankrupting the club with expensive crap signings. I don't think that the club or Poch needs to address this as any comment will be twisted around to suit their agenda.

11. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Totally agree with you...it must be me...I never quite trust what people in football say...maybe that's what it is.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  12. Spudulike

Spudulike Well-Known Member

For me, the best statement of intent the club can make is to continue as normal, back the manager as and when he needs and give him complete assurances. To use the cliché, actions speak louder than words.

To use another one, watch this space as they say.

Hoddle is a god likes this.
  13. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Spurlock gone down with a double dose of sheeple +
    Harry Hotspur-itus (so sad to see - my sympathies) . :(

Pochettino has one focus : the campaigns this season.
    He doesn't even have to go Arry 2012 and eff up the Spurs
    season to tout his CV (as the past 3 seasons do that 10x
    better than Arry ever could) .

Other than that : in the Spurs PRESS OFFICER I trust.
    Some skirt got a mild slap yesterday for trying a
    "on behalf of Tottenham fans" (TM) after the go to Man Utd
    talk was done.

I am getting the popcorn ready for some epic maulings in
    the weeks to come (he looks like he is up for it) .

14. BobbyD

BobbyD President

He wouldn't be the right man. Hes another manager who likes to spend and play rigid defensive football. That isnt what the united fans want. They want someone who wants to play attacking football and develop some youth.

It will also be why they wouldnt want a Simeone either imo

15. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Attack and defence in the 2016-17 season was good.

Spending as such would not be the problem.
    Spending WISELY (Jose in general, Conte in 2017) would.

16. Saw this and thought of you, Spurlock..... <laugh>

17. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

If Gary Neville is correct that the 3 principles United will look for are developing youth, playing good football and winning games/trophies, Conte doesn't fulfil two of those.

He's still a top manager, but he doesn't have a reputation for developing youth or playing attractive football. He's also got previous for acting like a bit of a primma donna.

Which is why I don't think they will go for someone high maintenance like Conte.

BobbyD likes this.
  18. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Don’t think he’ll go Utd.

Think when he leaves us he’ll probably want to go to a side that can guarantee trophies. He’s spent the last 9 or so years in management rebuilding and improving sides, surely it’ll come to a stage where he just wants to take over something already made to win? Utd need a fair bit of work to get back to their dizzying heights and I don’t see why Poch would favour that when there’s a strong chance he could be offered the Real or PSG job inside 2 years. Both of those clubs more or less offer instant success to a manager. With Utd, even if he hit the ground running from the beginning, there’s a big ****ing Pep-City-sized problem in the way.

19. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

I had nearly finished a very long post about this topic but basically, yes to the above.

United are a basket case, I think Poch will on balance stay with us for another couple of years because he isn't guaranteed the level of control he expects there, I think he views PSG and Real Madrid as more desirable jobs (based on his playing career - a perception the UK-based media and pundits will find completely alien) and because the United job presents considerable downside with almost no upside for him in terms of the risk to his future career, which has over 20 years of management left to run.

I also think (perhaps naively) that he has genuine affinity to Spurs as a club, and the players, and wants to see us into a new stadium and to have a serious tilt at silverware once we have a new permanent home.

All this is contingent in him getting backing from Levy in the next two windows - crucially I think he wants the backing to get certain players offloaded in January with guarantees that if the right player becomes available in January (difficult) we will go for them, and guarantees about spending in the summer. If he doesn't get this I will be worried.

Roo, Dier Hard and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  20. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I’m just not taking it for granted that’s all.