1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Political Debate

Discussion in 'Watford' started by Leo, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superhorns

superhorns Well-Known Member

Interesting article from the BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner. He said 'Belgian intelligence services had been playing catch-up since the Charlie Hebo attacks and did not have a very good system of sharing information across the various authorities. He claimed there were a number of terror cells on the loose that had access to weapons and explosives.

The EU is now beginning to realise the Schengen Agreement and delayed reaction to the migrant crisis has assisted these terrorists.

2. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Are you linking this attack with EU membership?

3. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

No, with the argument used on this very thread that the UK is safer by being in the EU - how are we safer? But these attacks have certainly been made easier by having completely open borders within the EU - is this another nail in the coffin of Schengen?
    I will also point out again that another argument use to promote remaining in the EU was the European Arrest Warrant - yet the terrorist suspect under arrest in Belgium is fighting extradition to France. So why is the European Arrest Warrant not working for him?

4. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

I think we should build a wall all along the south and east coasts of England and rebuild Hadrian's Wall and Offa's Dyke.

5. yorkshirehornet

Not a good time to discuss this with the awful events of today unfolding :(

But:
    Security for the UK is probably better, shared intel and agreements etc. As we are out of Schengen not really relevant. But I am glad we are because of just this.

He will go to Paris once the paperwork and legal appeals are sorted.

Of course we know that such terrible events are happening all over these days.......

6. yorkshirehornet

and microchip everyone. identity cards, CCTV, eavesdropping on PCs and mobiles etc etc.

...and such tragedies will still happen

7. superhorns

It is perfectly reasonable to link this attack to the poor decision making of the eurocrats and leaders such as Merkel. They have left the back door open for terrorists to freely travel between Europe and training camps in Syria and Iraq.

8. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Of course such a thing could never happen in London or Birmingham for example. With over a million illegals in the UK already, and even UKIP admitting that you cannot stop people getting into the country who are determined to do so, then maybe we should be seeing how to increase co-operation, not withdraw into a false state of security.

9. wear_yellow

wear_yellow Well-Known Member

My point was that Cameron, the Remain campaign and some on this thread have continually stated that Britain is safer in the EU - but my question is how are we safer? Is it because of better intelligence? Is it because of working better together? Plainly this is not working very well between France and Belgium.
    Still I am sure a different question will get answered.

10. superhorns

There is obviously a desperate lack of co-operation between security forces in Europe. I cannot understand the argument that because we have some home grown terrorists it is not worth trying to limit additional threats.

11. yorkshirehornet

I think it is accepted that one cannot stop every terror incident wherever it happens. I really can see no argument for connecting what is happening to day with a Brexit argument. As NATO members and as allies with the US we are much more likely to attract terrorist activity IMO.

I have tried in both postings to answer your questions. If i have not done so please let me know.

12. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

There has been a lot of shared information between countries regarding just who these people are. The capture of Salah Abdeslam came about by following passport records, not just for him, but people who were known associates. There is a data base across Europe that any country can access and add to, and the help that it provided came from Greece. This man was stopped by police on the French autoroute and let go because he had false papers which was not picked up. That is down to human behaviour, as could happen in the UK where it is not even necessary to carry papers.

13. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

I have watched with a mixture of fascination and horror as this toxic thread has slowly turned into an unavoidable train crash
    The only sensible comment I can make is:
    Do not discuss Religion or Politics with friends or family because in a very short time they could be neither

Hornette_TID likes this.
  14. superhorns

Several UK senior security officers have expressed dismay that Salah Abdeslam managed to escape detection whilst living only 2 miles from his previous address. Their intelligence is way behind the standards practiced in the UK.

15. yorkshirehornet

Yes Duggie <ok>

16. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

Using the deaths of innocents before their blood has even dried to point score.

Sooooooo classy <applause>

17. vic-rijrode

vic-rijrode Well-Known Member

No, honestly, I was being serious. I think a nice 12ft high concrete block wall would make a lovely addition to the Marches.

18. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I don't see what this attack in Brussels has to do with EU. membership and find it somewhat distastefull that it is being used to score political points. Britain is not in Schengen. Controls and scans all passports coming into the country and can restrict entry to all known or suspected terrorists whether in or out of the EU. I live only about 2 hours train journey from Brussels - travel through it every time I go to Britain and I do not feel intimidated or threatened by what has happened. Statistically I have 14 times more likelihood of dying in my bathtub than as a result of a terrorist attack - 11 times more likelihood of dying as a result of slipping in the shower - I am 517 times more likely to be murdered - and 13 times more likely to die as a result of a dog bite. And considerably more likely to be killed on the roads (about 400 times more likely). Also 25 times more likely to die in a fireworks accident. I am also 2 and a half times more likely to become prime minister. The terrorists themselves want us to change our way of living as a result of their actions - they want to poison the atmosphere against all immigrants because this in turn helps their recruitment.

19. yorkshirehornet

Point well made......

20. superhorns

It is rather distasteful of you minimising the threat of terrorism with so many dead and injured today. Relatives of those affected today will rightly ask questions on the ease in which terrorists are able to move around in Europe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.