1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

POLL: Worst Spurs manager of the PL era?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Citizen Kane., Mar 19, 2021.

?

Worst Spurs manager of the PL era?

1. Christian Gross

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. George Graham

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Juande Ramos

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. AVB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Tim Sherwood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jose Mourinho

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

Honestly cannot believe the man is still our manager. Cannot believe he was ever appointed in the first place. But here we are. And as we hit a new low last night, it got me thinking: who has been our worst manager of the PL era?

Discounting those who only sat in the dug-out for a limited number of games (i.e. Santini and various caretakers), who would you say has been our worst manager of the era?

There is a strong case to make against many, but I've gone for Mourinho. His experience, reputation, the money he has spent bringing in dross, the way he has taken probably our second or third strongest squad in the PL era and got them playing football worthy of the late 90's, and the fact that he was brought in on a ticket to improve on the work of Poch...for all of this, he gets my vote.

Gross - another example of hiring totally the wrong person for the job. Almost got us relegated - we were spared by Ginola and Klinsmann. Inherited a truly horrific squad.

AVB - placed in an impossible situation, losing 4 of his best players over 12 months and not getting adequate replacements while being constantly undermined by the DoF.

Ramos - similar to Jose in that he inherited a talented squad yet somehow made them look like a pub team. However, he won us our most recent trophy so escapes through the back door.

Graham - similar to Jose in the painful style of football, but as above - he won us a trophy at a time when the average fan expected relegation.

Sherwood - zero experience and inherited a broken, fractured squad filled with mediocre dross. The guy got on my nerves but I had a lot of sympathy for him. Plus he was instrumental in bringing youngsters through to the team and building their confidence (basically the opposite of what Jose has done).

2. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

You’re still convinced we’ve got a team full of players chomping at the bit to deliver trophies but it’s the management holding us back <laugh>

I’m sure you was expecting delivery of silverware at the 4/5 year period of the Poch project too.

I can’t look at these things without going back to the owners.

Tilly'sowner likes this.
  3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Wow, no room for Jacques Santini...

4. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

Has to be the Gooner, George.

As spurlock says, our state of play cannot be down to the manager! He's setting the team up recently to play attacking football. There is something fundamental going on that he is unable to fix.

Discontent within the ranks because some players are not being selected? Toxic environment etc. Levy instructing Jose to play certain players to maximise their value (Dele?). I've long said levy must be micromanaging, with an eye on maximising transfer values, against Jose's wishes.

I for one do not think Jose is the problem.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Maureen was wrong for Man U and wrong for you.

Any manager who cannot get the best out of Deli Alli(sp) and prefers Lamela(sp) is not good. For gods sake you have Kane, Son and Bale.

I know we are in the turd division, we had Jurassic (Parkinson) for manager. He sidelined Mcgeady. Mcgeady is probably the best player in the division. He is back having a great partnership with Wyke and we are at last climbing back up the league.

You might guess I am not a fan of Maureen.

I have a soft spot for Spurs my father and brother in law are fans. Although I have not been to the new stadium yet...when Sunderland are back in Premiership?

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Don't really think any one manager sticks out as the worst to be honest. We've had so many that trying to pick apart different levels of **** just feels pointless.

I think saying Mourinho is the worst right now is purely based on emotion people would be feeling at present. I remember doing my nut when watching us under Ramos, AVB and Sherwood and it's no real different to now so I can't really compare **** with ****. Under Gross and Graham I probably wasn't as emotionally invested in the club as I am now as I was a kid back then, around the ages of about 8 and 11 respectively.

7. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm not gonna back Jose too much but trust me when I say he's not to blame for Dele's failures, mate. The useless prick has been **** for about three years now. Sooner he ****s off the better and he can take a large number of players with him.

8. Citizen Kane.

Citizen Kane. Well-Known Member

I tried to separate myself from the emotion of the moment. I went for Jose because I feel, all things considered, he has far less mitigating his circumstances than most of the other managers on that list. Even if we win the Carob Cup, to my mind he still ranks below Graham and Ramos simply because he has a better squad than they did.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Moureen cos some nutter let me vote<yikes>

10. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Simply put, our midfield doesn't have the right balance for playing on the front foot or playing on the counter

For example, here's our most effective pivots when we played on the front foot
    Carrick/Davids
    Modric/Parker
    Dembele/Dier
    Dembele/Wanyama

And here's the most effective pivots from playing on the counter
    Dembele/Sandro
    ...oh, just one? That's awkward

And when you look at the CMs you see the problem
    Hojbjerg - could operate in any of those pairings, given he's effectively Danish Scott Parker
    Ndombele - can certainly operate in an attacking lineup in the Dembele role, but ineffective in a counterattacking team
    Sissoko - should be effective in a counterattacking team, but all he has is physicality and stamina so lacks the passing to be reliable
    Winks - can work in an attacking team as space if space is opened up for him, but completely miscast for any and all defensive duties

And that's the problem: you can see a Hojbjerg/Ndombele pivot working under Jol, Redknapp or Poch - but of all the other combinations, not only could you not seem them working for those three managers, you also can't see them working for AVB, Santini, Ramos etc and, to go a step further, it has to be said Winks and Sissoko both look better suited to a midfield three, but at that point Lo Celso enters the conversation

11. Tilly'sowner

Tilly'sowner Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying and I agree to an extent. But I believe any problems run a bit deeper than simply an unbalanced midfield.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm going to have to agree with Croydon and go with Santini, despite him not featuring.
    The omission itself probably says all that needs to be said, really.

I'd also leave out Sherwood, but mainly because I see him as a caretaker, despite him actually getting a contract.
    He actually did alright and helped to integrate Kane into the team, in his defence.
    50% win percentage and finished 6th. Can't stand him and he's a terrible coach, but I wouldn't pick him.

I've changed my mind while writing this and I'm going to pick another manager who doesn't feature in the poll.
    While it may be tempting to go for the current bloke or dig out the filthy Goon, I think we had someone worse.
    Gerry Francis.

13. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Oh boy, soooooo much choice.

It's such a tough choice as I didn't think any of them were up to much and Ramos apart, I didn't agree with any of their appointments. I had no idea who he was but he had better hair than Gross and had never played for Arsenal...so, why not?

For me, it'll have to be an Iberian scrap Juande v Jose. Both equally disastrous in failing to improve on the work of far more suitable managers, both of whom worked very hard to build something. Both failed to make it through 2 seasons and I will be glad to have seen the back of them.

If Mourinho survives to win the League Cup, it'll be a draw. If he doesn't...at least he'll have won something at Spurs.

Citizen Kane. likes this.
  14. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

I suspect Baldilocks will be waiting until we can no longer qualify for the CL before possibly acting, but even then he may not be able to afford to sack him. Gross the worst by a distance.

15. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Gross...by a country mile.
    Killed every ounce of hope I had that we would not get relegated.
    Football was bloody appalling on his best day.
    Had Campbell, Carr, Ginola, Ferdinand and Klinsmann in the squad but we were facing relegation until 3 games before the season ended.

Bloke in a coat was bad...his treatment of Ginola tells you everything.

Hoddle was bad and should have been on the list.

Ossie was kinda sad.

Santini was a complete joke.

Sherwood ... see Santini

Ramos ... to be honest THAT should have taught Levy and Co a lesson about the emperor's new clothes.

AVB was a moronic appointment and was Levy and Co's second opportunity to learn about the emperor's new clothes.

Jose even more moronic and no doubt Levy and Co still have no ****ing idea about the emperor's new clothes.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    Citizen Kane. likes this.
  16. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Has to be Christian Gross, although I was young then, I genuinely thought Spurs were gonna be relegated that season. Klinsmann saved the club.

17. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

I voted for Ramos, could easily have been any of the others except for Sherwood, who I would place above all of the others because despite everything about him as a person we played reasonable football in his half season and won a decent number of games and Harry scored his first premier league goal under him.

Ramos replaced Martin Jol, in a miserable cowardly act that did the club no favours. He then won a trophy, but then put his and the teams collective feet up for the rest of the season and we all know what happened next. He also signed Gilberto - enough said!!!

remembercolinlee likes this.
  18. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Even worse, some nutters let you live. ;)

19. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Travelcard man FTW I mean FTD I mean FTL,

You probably should have done the poll as :

worst reputation failure Spurs manager of the PL era ??

which would rightly allow to be Jose to be critiqued alongside
    Graham/Santini/Ramos/AVB.

20. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Ok.