1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Poor old Liverpool...

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Swarbs, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

2. Jezz511

Jezz511 Well-Known Member

3. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Great news.

4. RushFowlerGerrard

So you are negotiating a potential new shirt deal from 2015 that might possibly be bigger than the deal that Liverpool have already wrapped up? Might not even happen.

5. Depay Sound

Depay Sound Well-Known Member

Man Utd are the mostly widely supported club on Earth so they can command larger sponsorship deals than any other club.

6. merrysupersteve

merrysupersteve Active Member

Don't think that's how it will work. It would likely take immediate effect. Similar to when a player with 2 years remaining on their contract signs a new contract for 5 years, it tkes effect immediately, not 2 years after.

7. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I do hope that "Sun on Sunday" articles won't be posted on football forums. We need to boycott these ****s.

8. Skylarker

Skylarker PL High Commissioner

Got a more reliable source Swarbs?

9. merrysupersteve

Does anyone not think this is a good deal, should the figures be accurate? I'd be willing to bet that United sell more shirts world wide than France and yet would only stand to make £2 million more than them per year, for a deal 3 years longer. With inflation considered, I don't think that's a great contract and we should be using our prestige to earn more.

10. Jezz511

I quite like the £40mil a year thing. Great deal! but will it be a great deal in 10 years?

11. merrysupersteve

Yeah that's where I'm coming from. It's a huge amount of money BUT I think for a deal of that length, the annual payment should be greater. France are only earning £2 million less than United per year, in spite of having a contract 30% shorter and selling less shirts (I think).

12. Jezz511

better if it increased if united were approached with a better offer. Of course, this isn't better for nike. but i like it :)

13. RushFowlerGerrard

So what? Your fellow fans are deriding Liverpools shirt deal like it ha.s been bettered already and claiming betterment through succesful deal that hasn't even happened yet ( except in the news of the world which will cease to exist tomorrow)

14. merrysupersteve

Sort of emphasises my point RE: inflation. If a less appealing club like Liverpool can be earning more than us now, United should be looking for an astronomical fee for a 10 year deal, to prevent such an injustice in future. On a related note, do you remember when Liverpool held more league titles than United? The figure is there to be shot at - and it will be hit by a firing squad!

15. RushFowlerGerrard

basic fact is that Liveprool have the biggest shirt deal in the premiership and this article is merely speculation and not current reality.

League titles is irrelevant.

16. Julius Caesar

Julius Caesar Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Who cares if Liverpool have the best shirt deal anyway? We have much better things to be proud of.

17. RushFowlerGerrard

Well not me but Clearly some united fans (if not yourslef) did care, hence this silly article and daft substantiating comments.

18. merrysupersteve

Basic fact that Liverpool signed their shirt deal months ago, whilst United signed their's years ago. Read my earlier posts (particularly the one where I mentioned inflation) and you'll see where I'm coming from. Of course, you already do, but this is yet another exercise in futile defence from a Liverpool fan. It is sad that it has come to this for you guys. It is tantamount to an admission of the order of power that you would cling to this sort of small victory, given the dates of the respective deals being signed.

19. Bloody Wanker

Bloody Wanker Active Member

Christ, Dippers are a delicate bunch aren't they?

20. Swarbs

Swarbs Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Actually you don't. Our deal paid us £25.4 million last year, whereas yours will pay £25 million a year in two seasons time. Try again next time <ok>