1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Possible January transfers

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by CitySlicker2010, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Norfolkbhoy

Norfolkbhoy Well-Known Member

Brady and Jarvis in were both excellent bits of business. Getting £6-£7m for Bradders also pretty decent despite his qualities. I am very hopeful that Mulumbu will turn out to be a brilliant free transfer when he finally plays for us and it looks like M'Bok is a player of some class.

A pity we could not get a starting CB but overall I'd say AN did pretty well in the transfer market.

K E M P and carrowcanario like this.
  2. Bath-Canary

Bath-Canary Well-Known Member

It was a pretty good window all told. I'd argue that only having 3 CBs in the squad is laughably dangerous though. While i agree taking on the player who doesn't improve the first XI options is a waste in this situation just having another CB would make the squad better.

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

There is Wisdom as well, Bath, but I know what you mean.

4. Northamptonncfc

Northamptonncfc Well-Known Member

It nearly happened around 2008 with members of our current board, over 20 million in the red David McNally even commented about unopened letters from the bank demanding money.

So when did spending money make us QPR? Why would we buy mercenaries? That's a bit of an assumption you're making there, we're hardly going to sign Christopher Samba on 100k a week. Providing it's in our budget and we've done our homework I'm more then happy seeing our club invest in players.

Russ Martin 2 and Walsh.i.am like this.
  5. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

All I meant was AN and DM tried their very best to bring in defenders at the right price, if they prefer to go to a higher profile club then we are stumped, the only players extra money can buy are mercenaries looking for a final big pay day!

6. Northamptonncfc

Northamptonncfc Well-Known Member

Nobody 100% knows that is true though, the Van Dijk links were just mere speculation, then the other guy were linked to at Marseille was one of those I spotted Neil at the airport rumours, the only rumour which had any substance was Cook in a part exchange deal with Grabban to Bournemouth.

There are always highly rated young players looking for a move to springboard their career, or players with a point to prove.

7. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think the Sviatchenko rumours had something in them, and seeing how he's played in the Europa league this season, it seems a shame we didn't gamble the £2-3m it was reported to have needed to make him a Canary. Other than that though, centre back rumours did seem a bit pie in the sky.

We're in a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. We need a good league position to attract quality players who don't want to be relegated, but we need those players to attain a comfortable league position. That said, I'd also argue players who won't get relegated with us probably don't have the right mentality to be at our club right now.

8. CitySlicker2010

CitySlicker2010 Well-Known Member

HMQC thanks for the link. I feel that if we strengthen the squad we wont want to pay for better quality

9. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Wisdom obviously isn't rated and was a panic loan. Otherwise he would have started much more by now! I think he is seen a cover. Our back 4 can't play any worse, but he still can't get a regular start. If this continues, can we cancel his loan and loan someone else? Or once you use a loan, is that gone for the season?

10. RiverEndRick

I'm not sure about that, DML, as Wisdom has had more playing time than RB so far this season. IMO, AN saw this as a chance to give RB a chance at CB with Russ moving to RB. Wisdom will most probably play in the cup game alongside RB.

11. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

I agree with this - the back four on Tuesday ought to be Whiitaker, Wisdom, Bennett and Olsson. Seb needs to be rested - he's played every game this season including the league cup matches.

12. Tony_Munky_Canary

Tony_Munky_Canary Well-Known Member

I think if we're putting our hopes of strengthening our defence on the shoulders of Andre Wisdom I think we could be in trouble this season - BIG trouble.

The general opinion on him in the world of football is that he's crap, certainly at this level and even in his preferred position at right-back so don't know how good people are expecting him to be at centre-half, somewhere I've never actually know him to play before.

I agree with others that strengthening in that position in the summer could be AN's first and biggest mistake as our manager, Ryan Bennett needs to step up to the plate massively, lot of pressure on him right now, hope he's up to it, this season could be tie making of him.

KIO likes this.
  13. Home on the range canary

Home on the range canary Well-Known Member

I thought his best position was unknown as he started his career as a centre back and has played every position in the back four as he has developed. As to whether he is known to be crap in the football world. he impressed for a while and then slumped as many young players do, maybe there is a lot more to come?

14. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I thought he actually considered himself a centre back but had been pushed to right back through needs of his employers and a general ability to play across the back? As for how he's perceived within the game, I have no idea. But struck me as a squad filler when we loaned him, I hope he's better than that and can play well if called upon.

As for Ryben I hope he steps up and can stay injury free for enough time to prove himself.

Bah!

15. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Munky, I agree with EVERY word of that <yikes>

16. Russ Martin 2

Russ Martin 2 Active Member

Liverpool gave Wisdom a new deal so they obviously see something in him.

17. KIO

KIO Well-Known Member

Liverpool signed Andy Carroll and Mario Balotelli :emoticon-0105-wink:

18. RiverEndRick

It was a 4 year deal as well, so they must rate him. The General is right - his preferred position is CB, but he has played at RB to suit the clubs he's been loaned to. It's not easy for young players to get game time at CB as RB knows full well.