1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Post World Cup Reflection

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ......loading......, Jul 12, 2018.

1. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

(No, I don't agree the world cup is still going on)

I thought it might be nice to start talking about our positives and negatives from the world cup. Can be on anything.

For me, the positives:

Pickford. Stones and Maguire. Trippier!!! Kane from set pieces. The relationship with the press. Winning a shoot out.

The negatives:

Walker. Young. Alli!!!! Sterling!!!!!! Kane from open play. Henderson getting rave reviews for being average.

I could (and will, I should think) go on and on about my reasons for the above, but thought I would let others start,

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Was hoping we had Spurs in the first month of the new season, but we don't.
    That's a negative as they will be knackered!

3. Brinkworth Saint

Brinkworth Saint Well-Known Member

The big positive for me was Gareth Southgate and his management team. Pretty much agree with the rest of your comment.

4. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Small margins throughout I'd say. Generally, we were too slow in attack, failed to stretch the opposition and when we did the close control of the strikers, particularly Sterling, was woeful. It could have been much different but then there are plenty of teams that could say the same.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I thought we did incredibly well to reach the semi-final with the squad we had.

6. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Yes, but the best thing we did to get there was lose to Belgium! :p

It's Only A Game likes this.
  7. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Positives
    Southgate behaved with dignity and the team did better than expected.
    Some of the games in this WC have been great with a number of exceptional goals.
    The Japanese fans who tidied up after the game:emoticon-0139-bow:.
    Maya.
    No apparent crowd trouble (maybe the threat of a Gulag camp is the way to go).
    Wall to wall footy in this household. I don't think I've missed any games at all :emoticon-0170-ninja.

Negatives
    VAR.
    Colombia.
    Some ridiculously lenient refereeing. Probably on FIFA instructions.
    The diving, feigning injury, cheating.
    Pepe, Neymar.
    Clive ****ing Tyldesley.

Lambertissier and ChilcoSaint like this.
  8. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Positives for England: No blow-ups or off-the-pitch shenanigans, solid if not sexy game plan give the strengths and weaknesses of the squad, played hard and looked like professionals

Negatives for England: Aside from perhaps Kane, there is a lack of individual quality, easy draw may fool some into thinking the team is better than it was, bit of an ugly game vs Colombia in terms of the football played and behavior on the pitch though Colombia were unquestionably the instigators and primarily responsible.

I would say a good foundation was laid but there is still a lot of work to be done. Hopefully the results will spur the players, supporters, FA, etc. to continue pushing for higher heights.

Positives for WC: Some new teams and faces, more parity across the globe, VAR was good.

Negatives for WC: It was a kind of bad parity where it felt less like weaker teams had gotten better but that the other teams got worse, I didn’t think the quality of play was that high, VAR was unable to solve some glaring human failures so I think there is a lot of work to be done regarding potential rule changes and interpretations, after match reviews, more refs or better comminucation between officials, etc.

Overall, I’d give it a solid B/B+. Not a classic, not a debacle, a little lacking in iconic-type moments, but enjoyable nonetheles.

Positives for US: Spared the embarrassment of humiliation in front of the world.

Negatives for US: We appear to have learned very little from our failure to qualify

Fortunately, I do not believe the USSF’s incompetence at every level will have too much impact as international scouting improves and our best players head to Europe at young ages to learn how to actually play.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  9. viking saint

viking saint Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoyed the ride and would have loved to have seen England in the final, the reality is that England are an average team, that were lucky to be in a group with two poor sides. They showed heart against Colombia, beat a average Swedish side (mainly because our goalie was better than theirs) and then got found out by a more determined team in Croatia. The next tournament is going to be harder for them as the pressure will be there from an over the top press and expectations from the fans.

The Ides of March likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Positives - It nearly came home.

Negatives - It didn't quite.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

What you doing up Jasper <yikes>

12. fatletiss

Nobody can take away or make excuses for reaching the semi-final. It’s what the team did.

To put this into context, people from my generation go on about 1990, the only other time in my life that we reached a World Cup semi-final, as if it was magnificent (it was), but it wasn’t if you choose to pull it apart. You think I was positive and believed this year? You should have seen the 20 year old me back then!

Group
    Dog sh1t performance in 1-1 draw with Ireland.
    Good performance in 0-0 draw with Netherlands
    Poor performance in 1-0 win with Egypt

Round of 16
    Outplayed by Belgium - stole it in last minute of extra time 1-0

Quarters
    Out flight by Cameroon and nicked it in extra time.

Semi
    Played really well against best team in it and lost on pens.

Group
    2-1 win against Tunisia in an ok performance. Could have been 4-0 up at half time.
    Excellent performance in 6-1 win against a poor Panama
    Lost with reserve team in dead rubber with Belgium 1-0

Rnd of 16
    Controlled most of game in ok to good performance against a filthy, antagonising Colombian team. Won on penalties.

Quarters
    Comfortably beat a solid Sweden 2-0. Yes our keeper made some good saves, but see killed the game then.

Semis
    Lost with a poor performance to a good Croatia team 1-2 in extra time.

1990 is remembered as our greatest achievement since 1966. We were pretty poor apart from two games. So before we start pulling apart the 2018 team or undermining the achievement (I agree we are not an amazing team), we reached the semi-final of The World Cup. Fantastic achievement.

It’s been a great 3 weeks for me following and England team that allowed me to Dream again. Thanks Gareth and the boys. I don’t think it’s the start of a new beginning and I won’t have my expectations up for saying we’re going to win the next one or the Euros, but I will dream again, but I’m not going to undermine them. It is a great achievement and on the second time in my (nearly) 49 years that we’ve reached the semifinal of The World Cup.

I’ll look back fondly. Well done boys.

Thanks.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

I had already decided i didn't really want to pick apart the tournament as I just want to remember the buzz of the last month.

You've made it easier for me as I agree with virtually everything you've posted here (and you know my general thoughts regarding grass roots/mentality etc.) Though I'm obviously too young for 1990.

I feel like I finally understand what people mean when they go on about 1990 mind :)

Thanks Gareth, the staff and the lads. Fully focused on Saints until the first break now.

fatletiss likes this.
  14. fatletiss

Yep. The buzz was brilliant. The team got the nation buzzing again. They reached a semi-final. 22 minutes from a World Cup Final. No other team for closer to reaching it than us, apart form the two that did.

I did a Predictor of all games before a ball was kicked and had had runner up in the group and losing in the last 16.

Libby likes this.
  15. Libby

Libby 9-0

The only one thing I would add is I do think this will always be the one we look back as the opportunity missed.

But I support Saints and England so **** it, looking back and wondering 'what if' is part and parcel and I'm more than used to it by now <laugh>

16. fatletiss

No doubt it was an opportunity missed, but everyone seems to have agreed that on the night Croatia were better for 70% of that game and deserved to go through. It happens. Against Germany in 1990, I felt we probably just edged that game 52%-48% and lost. That was more heart breaking. I still think Chris Waddle’s shot is going in off the post :(

Libby likes this.
  17. fatletiss

Anyway. Saints are going to win the FA Cup this season. It always was more important <laugh>

18. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

To be fair England did Ok...........I didn't expect them to get to the semi's I have to admit.......As for individual performances........There is a few who deserve a mention as they were outstanding. Pickford for one if he keeps playing like that he will command that position for quite a while. Just as the great Gordon Banks did and of course one Peter Shilton!!
    Sadly there were a few negatives as well, Sterling for me was a big disappointment.........Everyone raved about Henderson............ I thought his games at times were very patchy. He slowed the play down so much at times I thought he was going to fall asleep. The only way he knows how to pass a ball is back or sideways........or am I being a bit harsh!!
    Southgate hasn't quite got the right blend of players at the moment but as others have said it was an opportunity missed.......oh well.......On to the Euro's........wonder if we will have the same passion then...........

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

The problem will be that our hopes will be ridiculously high for EURO2020. We are a good side that has underperformed in the past....this is the first time since 1990 that we have actually done better than expected. I find it amazing that a we haven't won the EUROs as we have had some really good teams in the past, but no one should underestimate how difficult they are. The number of European teams that make it to the last stages in the WC tell us that the European Cup is the hardest to win. Hopefully, the positivity from this championship and from Southgate himself may just make a difference in 2020. Interesting to see the matches spread over many countries....sharing out the cost and fun...and really good that the semis and final are at Wembley. We all love a party.

20. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

The big positive for me is that this is a young team and they will have learnt a lot from this experience and some, not all, will improve further over the next couple of years. So l do think we will be stronger for the Euros and put in a credible performance.