1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League Loan Players - Are They Worth It

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Doc, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lots of stories going around that Jack Harrison may be signing for us full time at the end of the season? My only comments on that are; that If Bielsa wants him I go along with it.

My question is then what price will we pay for him and why?

It seems to be common knowledge that Harrison is on £51k per week and forget how much we pay and how much City are contributing, its the fact that he gets £51k per week. That means he is paid £2.6m per year and as he's been out on loan most of last season too he has been paid £5.3m for the last 2 seasons and played once for his parent club. So Man City decided to give the kid a contract that pays him a fortune each year but yet he doesn't play for the club. Chelsea for example have 54 kids out on loan and 99% will never play for the club. Baker, Blackman & Brown are just 3 earning a fortune.

So why do clubs do it? I think its a case of hoovering up talent to stop your opponents from having that talent. So a huge loss maker and not sound business. It could be that its a revenue stream as you invest in young talent and sell on for a huge profit? happens rarely and if you look at Lukaku for example he was signed for Chelsea and never put on a blue shirt. Immediately loaned out and stayed loaned out until Everton bought him for £28m. That was good business for both clubs but very rare it works like that.

It can work out for Leeds as Orta is doing some fantastic work on the kids and we will probably see some sold off this Summer. This question is about top 6 prem Clubs who have hundreds of players between them.

If we sign Harrison what will be the asking price? and would be stupid money for a kid who hasn't yet showed what he can do. If we pay £5m for example that wont even cover Man City's costs, so a loss made on one player alone and he aint worth more than £5m yet

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  2. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

The fact Chelsea have 54 kids out on loan is ridiculous imo, there has to be something done about it, I believe EUFA have been looking into it and want changes hought in by 20/21 season but nothing official yet as far as I know.

I don't think we're going to be in a position to pay Harrison £51k per week, that would mean the vast majority of the squad would want the same pkus so too would any new signings, so either his wages aren't that or he's going to have to take a dramatic drop.
    If his wage is correct, it just shows how the top 6 are totally out of touch with the realities of the game, where a player who is never going to play for them, is earning the same as 3 of our top earners combined each week.

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Agree about his wages mate, because he will be told that he will only get that maybe with win bonuses or some form of performance related mechanism.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Man City, Liverpool are the main offenders but Man Utd, Spuds are not far behind. Its like a giant hoover that picks up talent from home and abroad. 14, 15, &16 year olds brought in from South America, Africa & Europe and jobs and housing found for their families

4. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

The loan system should be abolished completely - problem solved.

There's absolutely no need for it.

Eireleeds1, w.c.dukenfield and Doc like this.
  5. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

6. floyd9t8

floyd9t8 Member

Harrison isn't worth £51,000 a week, premier league or not. He is an average to good championship player, not good enough for the premier league.

7. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Simple answer is no and no club knows better than us the failure rate. Our latest being the farcical 300k in wages Brown has stolen and rising and daft medical bills getting him fit in the first place. I hope, if we go up, we never have to borrow players again from anyone. Re Harrison, Hes ok at present standard but in no way is he PL standard

wakeybreakyheart likes this.
  8. lifecheshirewhite

Harrison's only a kid,is and will continue to improve.Would keep him another season if offered or would buy,but not give him a big pay rise as he's not worth it yet.Brown will play in the prem and do well as will Blackman.But we may have no choice in the matter,certainly don't see Chelsea loaning us any of their players again.

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Just done a bit of research and discovered that Chelsea are abusing their clout and have by far the most players out on loan. Last season they had 59 out on loan and this season 54 and we took 3

Spuds have 11 out, Liverpool 9, Man City 14, Man Utd 8. Chelsea are abusing the system and probably to beat the FFFP rules

FORZA LEEDS likes this.