1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Premier League Reform

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Essayyeffcee, Oct 11, 2020.

1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I think the problem with it is that there would always be the argument that you hadn't really won the Premier League if you hadn't won it against Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

2. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

I get your point but remember we're dealing with ego's here as well. Imagine being one of the best players in the world who's won every competition in the world except for an international tournament.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

If they do break away for the want of a better expression then in five or so years time clubs winning the newly formed league wouldn't give a stuff that they aren't in it and neither would their fans, in fact over time fans would say Liverpool who etc.
    Their little league with their European friends would become meaningless and Sky Tv etc would soon restructure their programming to pander to the majority of their viewers.
    As I've said before this needs stopping and Parry given the big heaveho.

Royaldragon and rooch 3 like this.
  4. The Norton Cat

See, I think the opposite would happen. The 'new' elite level would hoover up all of the TV money, sponsorship etc. (and it would be marketed better) like the Premier League does now. What would be left would become poorer in quality due to the lack of money and therefore of less interest to the general public.

5. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Except in England where all club rivalries end when it comes to an international match.

Whatever code you follow we all enjoy internationals, whether that be Rugby, Cricket or Football. How many "real" english fans are genuinely enjoy watching Liverpool (consisting of 11 foreigners) playing Juventus (consisting of 11 foreignors) when neither side has an affinity to the area?

One of the things that makes football great in comparison to other sports is the tribalism for want of a better word. It's the chants that the home supporters belt out when 4 goals down. A breakaway superleague would lose all that in a heartbeat. You'd have sterile overseas fans clapping half heartedly and the atmosphere would vanish

6. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

I can literally see football going T***up in the near future.....

JC91, rooch 3 and The Norton Cat like this.
  7. The Norton Cat

I agree with you totally about the tribalism etc. That is what makes football great. You will always get people who want to support their local club and will do so vociferously. On Saturday, I watched two lads bang a drum and sing their hearts out for 90 minutes in support of Great Wakering Rovers. But the armchair supporter, the Sky Sports subscriber, wants to see the best and he's the audience that matters. Any such super league will be so well marketed and so sponsor-heavy, that no one else will stand a chance.

8. Seb’s right peg

Seb’s right peg Well-Known Member

Embarrassing if true. We’re an absolute shambles of a club with these chancers in charge.

9. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Whilst you have a point Norton I honestly believe that those six clubs and their minority of fans would become just that the minority looking back into what they have left in football.
    They can't take all the top class players and the upcoming stars of the future as their squad numbers are limited.
    TV companies would have to reprogramme their coverage to cover all the leagues and not pay lip service to the lower leagues as us the case at present, and that extra coverage would increase TV revenue to the lower leagues and then not having to rely on the 25% offered at the moment.
    I don't have all the answers but this could be worked out to the benefit of all and not just the chosen few.
    Edit.
    Just realised the 250 million to the EFL split between 74 clubs adds up to very little in the big scheme of things.

10. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

The mob called it "The Commission". If a Megga rich wanted to buy, Sunderland, Newcastle,Burnley,Portsmouth or Luton, they have to go to the Coliseum, cap in hand then await a thumbs up or down from the likes of Liverpool,Man U etc. Rancid.

11. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Charlie Methven definitely doesn't sound like he's going anywhere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rhaul-risks-power-grab-by-rich-minister-warns

12. The Norton Cat

13. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Nice to see fans of the 'big six' send out statement against the proposals. Most fans appreciate the smaller clubs and how football works in the uk.

On a slightly separate note, glad to see Macclesfield FC starting up again under new owner and Robbie Savage. <yikes>

rooch 3 and The Norton Cat like this.
  14. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Ian Holloway had a rant on Sky last night after his game saying that the "big clubs" shouldn't be running football and telling him what he can and can't do. I videoed it but can't upload to here - really went after them, mentioning how it was the big clubs who wanted category 1 academies and then proceeded to hoover up all the kids from other clubs to fill them

RTB likes this.
  15. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Holloway is spot on
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p...SolDspuUWcOp3XtYKJOwi4GrGVwnWjP67EyX_93pCQCkg

16. Lewberry Pie

Lewberry Pie Well-Known Member

sheepman, Royaldragon and Random lad like this.
  17. Paperback Ruiter

Paperback Ruiter Well-Known Member

Jim Rodwell spoke in support of this today.

I never for one moment, ever....ever! Thought I'd miss Martin Bain.

Royaldragon likes this.
  18. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

Rodwell needs to **** off

sheepman likes this.
  19. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

this - 100%

sheepman, Royaldragon and JC91 like this.
  20. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Typical Sunderland