1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Rainer Signs Off

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by rainermariarilke, Oct 27, 2022.

1. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

Hi all,

It is with a very heavy heart that I write to tell you that my dad, known as RainerMariaRilke to you all, passed away on Tuesday 25th October at 12.15pm.

I was privileged enough to spend time with him in his final weeks and among his final wishes, was that I inform you fine group of gentlemen on this forum, that he is no longer with us.

Dad was battling late-stage lung cancer at the end, and with the support of the angels from Macmillan we managed to grant him his wish to die at home. He spent much of the time watching racing and football (I knew he must have been ill when he gave me his Betfair password!!)

Dad lived and breathed horse racing and I have so many happy childhood memories listening to crackly Medium Wave racing commentaries and seeing the joy it brought to Dad. Even at the very end he could mentally calculate the combined winning odd and payouts of a four fold or trixie at ¼, 1/5 odds (including tax deduction – as was)!!!

My fondest memory is being on Dad’s shoulders on the downs when Nashwan won the Derby in ’89.

I know that many of you have communicated with Dad for years on the forum and I thought that you would like to know and picture who he was.

He is an irreplaceable loss.

If any of you would like to message, I will monitor this thread. Also, I can be contacted at [email protected].

Lewis (Son of Rainer)

Dad Rainer.jpg

' What I know most surely about morality and the duty of man, I owe to sport.'

Albert Camus

2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I’m very sad to read this, and I’ve got a massive thank you to say publicly to your dad for putting up with my conversations over a long period of time.

Mike sent me a big parcel of old racing books quite a long time ago, and some of those books have shaped a lot of the way I view the sport and for that I will be forever grateful. His love for awful racing at Southwell was one area we shared a lot of conversations and amusement.

I sincerely send my best wishes to you and your family, and a massive thank you for logging on to tell us. It means a lot.

James

floridaspearl, redcgull, Saf and 3 others like this.
  3. Grecian Mick

Grecian Mick Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about this sad news. I didn’t know your dad but I’m sure that over the years of being part of this forum I would have had a bet or two on a selection that he put up. Sending my condolences to you and to the rest of the family.

Mick

redcgull, Saf, Ron and 1 other person like this.
  4. rainermariarilke

Thanks James - that means so much and is hugely appreciated. P.S I'm glad you appreciated his humour too! It often got him in trouble!!:emoticon-0102-bigsm

redcgull and Ron like this.
  5. rainermariarilke

Thanks Mick - Really appreciated. Means a lot. Cheers, Lewis

6. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

So sorry to read of the passing of Mike, his written contributions on here were certainly on a par with his “nom de guerre”. As I’ve been living in Germany since 1994 he often asked me about the German language and translations - but the funny thing is, I never got round to asking him what his connection was to Germany in general and Rilke in particular. I would really like to understand that.

My condolences to you and your family and know that he touched many people on this site.

<rose>

redcgull, Saf and Ron like this.
  7. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Deepest sympathies Lewis, and to all family and friends on the loss of your Dad.

Shared some conversations privately with him over the years and he was always very polite and friendly to me. He offered me a bit of good reading advice on his moniker, whom i too am a fan and from the many good contriubutors to this forum over the years, I quickly copped on that when your Dad had something to say, I found it usually paid to listen very closely.

May he rest in peace.

8. OddDog

Staff Member

Typical Mike:

upload_2022-10-27_20-23-31.png

redcgull, Saf, Ron and 3 others like this.
  9. OddDog

Staff Member

From German football to Pam Sly in the blink of an eye .............. :)

Hope you don't mind me posting these snippets Lewis - my way of dealing with bereavement is to celebrate the lives of those no longer with us .............

upload_2022-10-27_20-29-14.png

10. rainermariarilke

Many thanks STH - I wish I had listened to him a bit closer at times. Cheers, Lewis

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2022

11. rainermariarilke

Thanks so much OddDog - I would view that as 'classic dad' :emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm:emoticon-0102-bigsm

redcgull, Ron and OddDog like this.
  12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

That is such sad news. His contributions to the not606 forum and before were immense. I well remember the joshing he used to give me with his comments on visiting Loftus Road stadium when his beloved Crystal Palace were playing there, and how he told me that he was pleased to bring a bit of culture to QPR. A real gentleman, and we all will miss him greatly. Thank you so much, Lewis, for telling us so much about him. My sincere condolences to you and others in Mike's family.
    RIP Mike. <rose>
    Pete (aka SwanHills)

13. rainermariarilke

Hi OddDog

Re the German connection.

I know that Dad served there in the RAF from 1948 - 50 doing national service. He spent a lot of time talking with Germans about the insanity of the war, in particular the atrocities at Dresden (he read Slaughterhouse 5 to me when I was 9!).

When Dad returned from Germany he was accepted to Oxford University as a 'Blue'. He was a formidable light heavyweight boxer and told me that he took up the sport to deal with playground bullies as a result of his childhood stammer.

Dad grew up on the Isle of Wight which was bombed to buggery by the Luftwaffe owing to the munitions factories / depots in Ventor and it's proximity to Portsmouth / Soton.

That is the only German connection that I am aware of. I asked him about the 'nom du guerre' and he told me he loved his poetry. If I can find out more when I research his archives I will let you know.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond - this community meant a huge amount to him and to know that I can honour his last wishes makes me very happy.

Cheers

Lewis

14. rainermariarilke

Thanks Pete - your comments are really valued. Best, Lewis

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2022
    redcgull, SwanHills and Ron like this.
  15. stick

stick Bumper King

Such sad news. Your father was a very clever and quick witted man. His comments regularly surprised me or had me roaring with laughter. He was a master at getting you to take a reality check. At times he was so educational that I would have to research what he was saying. I would like to think that we had a mutual respect and as with others who have passed on from here we are very much poorer for their departure.
    A dad to be rightly proud of. My most sincere condolences to you and your family.

DanishQPR, redcgull, Saf and 3 others like this.
  16. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Oh dear, that is very sad news Lewis. So many nice tributes already on here which I echo with all sincerity. I have had many conversations with your dad, and it was a pleasure and honour to know him, albeit only via this and the BBC forums. We do share one thing which I'm sure we both valued to this day and that is that we have both played at Loakes Park long ago (the old home of Wycombe Wanderers). I've often wondered if we ever met. Thank you for letting us know; we will all miss him. Sincere condolences to you and family. May Mike rest in peace <peacedove><peacedove><peacedove><rose>

DanishQPR, redcgull and Saf like this.
  17. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

Just read this very sad news. He was definitely one of the people to listen to and reckon with on this site. I will miss his erudite and often inciteful comments, especially on the threads I sometimes put up. We will miss him. He must have been a great Dad.

redcgull, Ron and Saf like this.
  18. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Lewis, my deepest sympathy at the loss of your father.
    Mike and I came together on the 606 website when we won a group tipping competition together over the jumps.
    Thereafter we would reciprocate each other’s news, especially just prior to Christmas, and he kindly sent me an old 1958 Timeform National Hunt Horses In Training- so typical of his kindness.
    I am very saddened at his passing, but I shall treasure his memory.
    Kind regards and best wishes to your family.
    John Holland.

19. gazboy

gazboy Well-Known Member

Sorry to read the sad news. :emoticon-0153-broke

20. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this, RIP<rose>