1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Reason to hate football part one...

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM, Aug 23, 2017.

1. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Players that RETIRE from international football.....totally lose any respect I had for them...if your country needs you, you should be ready and willing until your unable.

2. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

He should have left it until after the World Cup that's for sure. The timing is a bit strange but it is his decision at the end of the day.

3. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

I retired from International football years ago, once i knew i wasn't gonna get picked for England

ostlan, Nuggets, Scowey and 2 others like this.
  4. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Its turning their back on the country imo......

5. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I don't see a negative in this. In the case of Wayne Rooney, he has suffered from a lack of fitness and sharpness for a couple of years now. Hasn't looked the same player since that injury in 2010. He has given 13 years playing for his country, winning 119 caps and captaining the side on numerous occasions.

His club pay his wages, he's in his 30s and if he feels he cannot give his best performances in an England shirt because he is playing regular club football for his boyhood club, and his employer no less, than I think it's perfectly understandable.

Not to mention he seemed to be a magnet for criticism, often unwarranted. Rooney was often the first scapegoat to be made whenever we exited an international tournament, and he played a couple of tournaments half-fit, but still dragged himself on the pitch and tried to perform.

I haven't lost any respect for him.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Southcoastoldgaffer and ostlan like this.
  6. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

If he is not good enough he doesn't need to announce his retirement as he wouldn't get picked anyway if he is still good enough he should be proud to continue to play if and when called upon.....Jermaine Defoe just went about things when it seemed he was no longer needed and then when he was needed he stepped up again and did what he could.

I think it's disrespectful to players that are now called up because some will wonder if they are only there because of Rooney's 'retirement'.

itfcptc likes this.
  7. Nuggets

Players like Paul Scholes and Alan Shearer retired from international football in their early 30s, when they arguably had more to give, but are not afforded the same criticism, and most importantly, they went on to have longer club careers.

I think it's a little disrespectful to call Rooney's passion or desire into question. He rushed himself back from injury to play for England on several occasions and it's arguably taken its toll on his fitness, if the last two seasons are anything to go by. He always made himself available for England games, never sulked when played out of position, and always looked to give everything in an England shirt. He undoubtedly had the passion.

Gareth Southgate is tasked to bring about a more youthful England side and recalling Wayne Rooney, despite him scoring a couple of goals, is surely counter-productive to ensuring that younger players get their opportunity?

8. ostlan

ostlan Active Member

I hope WCP that it's more that Rooney believes he has given England his best years and is therefore making way for potential future talent with a good size window in place until the next major tournament.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

The point is it's not for the player to decide if he is good enough it's the managers job....

If Rooney rushed back from injury then that's poor management, and if a player says he doesn't want to play for England I think you can question their desire tbh.

Shearer retired because England had retired all morals and appointed a Swede, if the FA had of appointed an Englishman I don't think Shearer would have retired and I respect his decision, other than that exception I don't agree with anyone 'retiring' from representing the Country.

10. johnnywarksmoustache

I'm not sure why you've got such a Bee in your Bonnet about it Weighty! Personally I don't give a ****e about the England National team!

11. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

No bee or no bonnet to be honest....just something that has irked me for years.

12. Nuggets

Where an earth did you hear this? Shearer announced his retirement immediately after EURO 2000, citing how he wanted to give more time to Newcastle United as they gave him a four year contract. Sven didn't take over the England team until 2001, during the 2002 World Cup qualification campaign.

13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Your right Nugg he did retire then rule out a return under Sven.....so Shearer is amongst those that believed they are bigger than the country.

14. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

Drop it Weighty, with respect! We all know too many sportsmen who go on and on, lose form, lose the passion, basically, grow old and can become rather sad cases, struggling to find those elusive magical skills.

Far better to make way for promising Youth.....just like ITFC!!

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Don't disagree at all Gaffer....it's just imo a poor show to retire from representing your country.

16. johnnywarksmoustache

Fair play Weighty but who gives a ****e!

He's not the first and he definitely won't be the last! <ok>

Life moves on!

17. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

Fair enough I'll shut up....<laugh>

18. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Have to say, I'd rather people step down and not represent their country rather than turn up and not play well.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.