1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Recommendations... New boiler and full central heating

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by marcusblackcat, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Sandy Camel

Sandy Camel Well-Known Member

Wouldn't disagree marra, it was an old **** boiler in the house that gave up after a week of me moving in. I knew a new one would be better but still surprised by just how much better it is.

Confucius likes this.
  2. Confucius

Confucius Well-Known Member

I think if people knew mate they wouldn't hesitate in getting a new boiler before the old one goes kaput. But you know what? its so bloody obvious and not sure why it took so long. Yes use the hot products of combustion to preheat the water rather than having red hot flues.

Sandy Camel likes this.
  3. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Thanks mate - been an awful year! Hope the promotion is what I want too. I'm doing it more for money than anything

Boiler broke down on my wedding anniversary as well so wasn't a good day when we should've been celebrating. Although it was number 13 so maybe that was it (from the least superstitious person of all time!!)

4. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Some interesting comments on here. I intend to replace my gas boiler in the near future to a one powered by renewable energy, but have not yet looked into it that closely.

5. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

§
    If you have a biggish garden and intend to replace your flooring anyhow. Ground Source underfloor heating is well worth considering. I looked into it and was quite keen, but the problem was, the house already had expensive flooring when we bought it and to replace the old floor with new would be tens of thousands of £s. The nordic countries use this extensively.

I am fortunate in having a South facing roof, so have installed solar panels, after 3 years they have almost paid for themselves. The feed in tariff are not so good now, but we use a fair bit of electricity so what ever kilowatt etc the panels generate is deducted from our total electricity used, so if the cost if electricity goes up, so does my savings.

MrRAWhite likes this.
  6. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

When my neighbor bought the bungalow over the back he had it fully renovated.
    Underfloor heating and expensive flooring over the top.
    It sprang a leak and he had to rip it all up :eek:

7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Nightmare, that's what put me off having it installed, someday it will be the answer, but not any day soon.

Nig likes this.
  8. MrRAWhite

I have had solar panels for a good few years now and they have most certainly been worth the money.

RTB, Sunderpitt and clockstander like this.
  9. Sunderpitt

All houses should be built south facing!

MrRAWhite likes this.
  10. MrRAWhite

Mine is South East facing on the back side of the house where my solar panels are placed.

11. Late goal Scorer

Late goal Scorer Well-Known Member

They don’t score well in reviews but house we moved in to already had one that was ten to fifteen years old and went a knacker, after several visits from a local gas safe engineer and about 400 quid later it became clear the heat exchanger was buggered and Called Baxi and they sent an engineer and said they could fix it under their care scheme and if necessary replace the boiler even though already broken and out of warranty. 27 quid a month. Was fixed within a week. Don’t usually like care schemes but impressed by theirs and customer service so far.

Nig and Confucius like this.
  12. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Whilst reviews are handy to build a picture of a product or service it's sometimes worth reading some just for the crack and to realise sometimes negative reviews are given for a good product and positive reviews for not so good.

The amount of times ive read "great, fantastic, wonderful" etc followed by, "haven't used it or opened the package yet" ffs <laugh>

One of my favourites was somebody on trip advisor or whatever talking about Snowdon.
    Giving it a low score,
    They finished with "not very disabled friendly"
    :eek: :rolleyes: it's a mountain FFS. <laugh>

13. Sunderpitt

Yes reviews, I think for instance how to use the Which Reports, is not necessarily go for the 'best buys' as they might not fit your needs, but do take notice of their worst/never buys!

Nig likes this.