1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation Battle Next Season

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, May 4, 2022.

1. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

I think he has separated the wheat from the chaff.
    His teams over the last 6 weeks are really gelling.
    He will add quality in the windows and we go again.

2. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I think our biggest problem has been our scatter gun approach to recruitment, I’ve no idea if that was LJ’s fault or Ashton, and of course sanctioned by SL. You end up with lots of players that don’t necessarily make a team, NP certainly has the pedigree to turn things around given the chance, my biggest worry is if he fails then what?. We think we are, but in reality we aren’t really a club that would necessarily be able to attract a quality manager.,

Supcon72 and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  3. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

..... Yes - and agreeing to pay huge wages (I blame Ashton for the wages not LJ - I don't think its the Head Coach's job to negotiate wages)
    In Pearson we have a manager with proven success. I've said previously on here that I've been 'underwhelmed' by him - mainly because the expectation was so high when he arrived. However we seemed to have settled and improved of late and I REALLY like the fact that we have become a team that scores lots of goals.
    I'm not sure what 'failure' would look like for NP (apart from relegation of course). With LJ it was failing to make the Premiership within 5 years. What is NP's remit?

4. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

Think you will find that having NP as manager has raised our profile big time.

5. AshtonRed

Let’s just hope he succeeds then

6. AshtonRed

LJ obviously didn’t negotiate wages, but surely he was responsible for deciding what players to bring here. It seems we didn’t work to a plan, a way of playing, and then buy players to fit. We used a scatter gun approach which ultimately failed, successfully teams, especially those on a budget decide on a system then buy players to fit that system.

Redprintt likes this.
  7. Supcon72

Supcon72 Well-Known Member

I agree with much of this. I think Ashton had far more sway over who came in than LJ. It was all about making PL connections for Ashton. It was crystal clear the LJ didn't want Kent or Palmer. Could LJ have been stronger, possibly, and that is where his inexperience went against him, but on the flip side Ashton had SL hoodwinked and he would have kicked LJ and any other manager who didn't agree with him out the door. Finally, SL woke up to him after the DH appointment, but all too late.
    To Red Robin's point, if we had got Pearson in when LJ left, our stock was high and his appointment would have raised our profile much more. As it is, our profile is as low as our league position, which is fair, and up to everyone at BCFC to restore it to where it was after our great cup run a few years ago.

AshtonRed and bcfcredandwhite like this.
  8. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

I imagine he was restricted to choose from what was available, a budget pool of players offered, few that was even willing to come here.....(mainly scraps) which we did well with, holding our own and just a few points away from playoffs.. but progress was the name of the game!! :emoticon-0103-cool:

9. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

We have had this poor attitude for years and how it was allowed to continue under the nose of a supposedly shrewd businessman like Steve Lansdown is beyond belief. Steve Coppell saw the light earlier than most and ran for the hills, probably due to the James fiasco, and when someone of his footballing acumen does that perhaps the owner needed to ask what did we do that was so wrong? The answer to that question, but on many other fronts, has always been our downfall and unless we can get it right with Nigel Pearson in charge we will almost certainly struggle to employ the right people in the future. This upcoming summer has to be right in all aspects to show the supporters commitment to the task of improvement and I hope NP gets all the support and advice from the top that will be required to do a proper job. The losses shown on the books is a huge negative in getting the job done but a points deduction would blow us out of the water in no uncertain terms. Fingers crossed. :emoticon-0141-whew:

10. bcfcredandwhite

Great point regarding Kent and Palmer.

11. AshtonRed

I agree with that point as well. & to a degree Dasiiva imo

Supcon72 likes this.
  12. AshtonRed

You may imagine, but we don’t know, that’s my point, if that was the case LJ certainly didn’t call it out at the time, at the very least he went along with it. So was complicit.

13. bcfcredandwhite

So was the Tea Lady - she was there at the time and was part of that regime ;)

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  14. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I think LJ was complicit but there is no doubt that Kent and Palmer was not of his choice but of all the total signings made (I won't mention numbers) he must have agreed to the majority, we can't blame MA for all of the fault lines but he knew how to manipulate SL & LJ to his advantage and how we have suffered from it.

I'm happy with Nige.

15. AshtonRed

That’s why she was sacked<laugh>

bcfcredandwhite likes this.