1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Remembrance Thread 1918-2018

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sb_73, Nov 3, 2018.

1. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

As is traditional, a respectful thread to commemorate those who have fought, from whatever nation, on behalf of others.*

Of course this year there is a special significance as it is the centenary of the end of the Great War. And in today’s paper a remarkable story. The headstone of the last British soldier killed in the war, Private George Ellison, killed 90 minutes before the armistice came into force aged 40, is opposite the grave of Private John Parr, the first British soldier killed in the war aged 17, in Saint-Symphorien Cemetery near Mons in Belgium. This is entirely by coincidence, no planning involved. Now, as the article says, they are separated by a few yards of lawn, 4 years and 10 million deaths. Nearby is the grave of Private George Price (25), a Canadian, the last Commonwealth soldier killed in the war. At 10:57 on 11 November 1918. Three minutes.

* also a small memorial to Swords, who always liked these threads. No I don’t want the old ****er back, though I am curious to know what he’s up to.

QPR999, mapleranger, kiwiqpr and 11 others like this.
  2. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Probably annoying someone somewhere, he can't help himself...:grin:

Uber_Hoop likes this.
  3. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Oh I'm pretty sure Swords has been back on a couple of occasions.

Good thread.
    We will remember them.

4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

And him.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  5. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

He is currently getting his winter dresses pressed ready for la promenade. He also spends a lot of time being chased around Dublin in his rubber fox suit...its similar to the old playground game of kiss chase but with an adult theme that includes penetration

mapleranger likes this.
  6. Sooperhoop

Not a bad time to look at this very poignant end to the Blackadder 4 series, still one of the most moving scenes in any 'comedy' show...

7. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

8. KentGaz

KentGaz Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s a tv program or film that has taken me through so many emotions in 30 minutes.
    It’s one of the greatest pieces of writing and acting I’ve seen.

9. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

We had family members injured and killed at the Somme. Next week I shall be at The national ceremony in Whitehall, London at the Cenotaph. My late father took me there as a kid where I met many Chelsea Pensioners from the First World War. All gone now. I may dig out the old photos of family members going off to war. <rose>

10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I heard something on the radio the other day about the 'pals battalions' - battalions formed of groups of young men from individual towns. One in particular was mentioned, the Accrington Pals. On the opening day of the Battle of the Somme, the Accrington Pals were ordered to attack Serre, the most northerly part of the main assault. Of an estimated 700 Accrington Pals who took part in the attack, 235 were killed and 350 wounded within the space of twenty minutes.

11. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

I am proud that our generation still remember them and the sacrifices made for so many.
    I do worry that the younger generation are losing that connection with the wars and the cruel impact of war on soldiers and their families and friends while trying to defend the rights of everyone.

We will keep remembering them.

12. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

The centinary of the "The Great War" is an event which must be remembered for the tremendous loss of lives in a horrific conditions.

The outcome of the Great War changed the European "world order" from an imperialisitic, to a more modern version. It also created a new European map, which amongst others, recreated an independent and soveriegn Poland, which earlier was partioned and did not exist for 123 years.Thus in Poland, 11th November is "Independence Day" and this centenary will be a very large event.

Unfortunately, World War I only partially solved some of the political issues which culminated in World War II. The effects of World War II in Eastern Europe were only resolved by the collapse of the iron Curtian in 1989.

I will certainly pay homage and reverence on this day and sincerely hope that we will not ever personally witness such events ourselves.

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I’m told 11/11 is also Independence Day in Poland, are there significant celebrations?

Oops just read your post properly, but the question stands....

Ninj likes this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

The Peter Whelan play depicts that tragic story where groups of friends were killed. Poweful piece.

15. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Never forgotten and always grateful for the freedom and privilege we enjoy today but bought with the heaviest price.

16. Sooperhoop

Brilliant tribute...

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Outstanding. We really do this stuff well, and with feeling.

I heard a radio programme the other day, when German kids were talking (in excellent English of course) about their knowledge of the Great War, and of course it was simply as history, they were really impressed with the Commonwealth approach to remembrance, and were keen to do something similar. Of course it’s forgotten due to the extraordinary efforts they have gone through to face up to WW2. Unlike the Japanese. I had a fascinating chat with one of my Japanese colleagues a couple of years ago, who said that the Japanese attitude, especially amongst the older generations, was shame, not because of what they did but because they failed. The younger generation focussed more on anti nuclear weapons pacifism because of the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, without much understanding of the context of those events.

18. Sooperhoop

It'll always be a generational thing, the values of our pensioners now will be very different to those of 50 years time. I suppose as one whose parents were put through the horrors of WW2 I and many of my age group have a far more acute awareness of just what sacrifices that generation made, hopefully we'll never see the like of it again...

19. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

It will be a long weekend as Monday 12 November is an additional Bank Holiday.

There will be many events ongoing which vary from local, religious and political. There will be a very patriotic theme.

Beware of some the parades as they have been highjacked by far wing nationalist groups (such as the ONR). They are to be avoided.

qprbeth, Didley Squat and sb_73 like this.
  20. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Hopefully for you folk over in England, the Bomber Command Memorial Flight will be making their usual fly pass.

please log in to view this image

please log in to view this image