1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RETAINED/RELEASED/NEW TARGETS...Summer WINDOW 2023

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Apr 30, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Okay the seasons not quite finished as yet...but with Championship football on the table next season...this will be an important summer window to strengthen our squad.

What we know at present about our present squad....these players have contracts beyond this summer.

Michael Cooper.....June 2025.
    Callum Burton.....June 2024.
    Macaulay Gillesphey.....June 2025.
    Joe Edwards.....June 2025.
    Mickel Miller.....June 2024.
    Saxon Earley.....June 2025 + yr option.
    Adam Randell.....June 2024.
    Matt Butcher.....June 2024.
    Ben Waine.....June 2025 + yr option.
    Tyreik Wright.....?
    Callum Wright.....?

From what I can see all other players contracts finish June 2023....including any out on loan.

Loan players returning to their parent clubs after the Port Vale game are......

Finn Azaz.
    Bali Mumba.
    Nigel Lonwijk.
    Sam Cosgrove.
    Jay Matete.

Might of missed some names....I'll add to the list if so.

One target being spoken about is Cambridge striker Harvey Knibbs....not sure why is stats aren't mind blowing.

So lots of players not mentioned that are regulars.....who will be offered new contracts....who will be released...we will have to wait for Steven Schumacher and his advisors to make their decisions.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Reading around the Argyle forum's....you can't get away from Morgan Whittaker.....still only a bit player for Swansea....just a few minutes at the end of matches.....you feel that they only took him back in January because they thought that they had a big fat cheque lined up for him...possibly from Glasgow Rangers.....the problem is could we afford to buy him ?

Another name mentioned is ex-player Curtis Nelson....ageing now but plenty of Championship experience to help us settle in to the higher demands of the second tier.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

It's said that discussions about Morgan Whittaker joining Rangers contained valuations from £1m (Rangers) to £2m (Swansea). That is probably too rich for our blood. Then again, he didn't sell and hasn't been playing.

One that interests me is Danny Mayor. Schumacher said in mid season that he needed to do more. He still hasn't scored many but he has other wise been playing really well in recent weeks.

This season we've taken players from the Championship on loan and I think it's been good for both parties. Bali Mumba has been gushing in his praise of how much he's enjoyed it and more importantly, how much he's learned and how he feels he's matured. As a Championship side with a good record of treating loan players well, we could perhaps look to bring a few loanees in from the Premier League.

What I'm damn sure of is that there's a list of potential recruits and what we're willing to pay. Not much happens at this club now that hasn't been thought out well in advance.

4. notDistantGreen

I suppose two others to mention in support of the notion Argyle are a good team to loan players is Morgan Whittaker himself: he certainly didn’t want to leave, and Finn Azaz , who was reportedly out celebrating on Saturday night still wearing his match shirt!

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I was talking about Mayor on Saturday funnily enough and did say that I didn't think he would stay next season. The reasoning being that he wouldn't be as effective in the next league up. My son roundly chastised me for this and pointed out that he played exactly the same against Chelsea as he does against league one teams and was as effective. Ergo I don't know what I'm talking about. In fairness I can't argue with the first bit.

6. notDistantGreen

I don’t know what to say about him and wouldn’t want to make the decision. The football certainly loves him though and he can still not just beat a defender but leave him on his arse looking like a fool.

7. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I have to conceed that he has shown he can do a job against higher leagued players than the one he has been in. I like him a lot as you and I have both pointed out his worth all season when the odd doubter has surfaced. But in his thirties and maybe his fitness won't last. I'm a bit of a sentimentalist though and believe that players all deserve a chance at least in the higher league if they have done their bit to get the team there. It's why I'd never make a Manager.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Football League World are saying that Argyle keeper Callum Burton is drawing attention from...Birmingham, Swansea, Reading and Hearts....I am mildly surprised at that.

If that is the case regarding Swansea...then maybe a deal could be done regarding Morgan Whittaker.....even if it is only a twelve month cast iron deal having no return clause in it.

Also Argyle fans have started a petition to keep Bali Mumba at the club.....I think that is a none starter to be honest.

PS.....Further to the above.... Swansea had scouted Burton but say that they are not at present looking for another goalkeeper.

Last edited: May 2, 2023
  9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So after the season finishes PAFC will be a busy place....the following players future's will be determined.......

James Bolton, James Wilson, Dan Scarr, Brendan Galloway, Ryan Law, Niall Ennis, Finley Craske, Brandon Pursall, Jordan Houghton, Danny Mayor, Conor Grant, Ryan Hardie, Luke Jephcott.

Some will be offered new contracts.....some might be released....and some might want to move on anyway.

Steven Schumacher will have now made his mind up sinced achieving promotion.....some might not be Championship material and will be released.

Last season nearly all the players stayed and with a successful summer incoming of players Argyle where in a good spot to start the season.....once two early away defeat's had been passed Argyle went on a good unbeaten run.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I have been reading an article in Football League World about Argyle needing to strengthen for next season in the Championship.

They have noted that Argyle will only have Ben Waine as a definate signed striker after this season ends.....Ennis & Hardie will be out of contract and Cosgrove will be returning to his parent club after Sunday.....even if Ennis & Hardie sign on for another contract Argyle will need to strengthen up front as well as elsewhere for the coming season.

They are suggesting nineteen year old Daniel Jebbison of Sheffield United would be a good fit....who at present is down the pecking order because of successful players in front of him that have helped United gain promotion back to the Premier League.....he has played Premier and Championship football in his time at United....but it is expected that United will have to bring in a Premier striker to bolster there squad next season.

The suggestion is that Jebbison gets loaned out to the Championship for this coming season.... and Argyle would be a good destination for him....taking in the fact that Argyle do have a good record of bringing on loanees to the benifit of their parent clubs.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

No matter who all these other organisation suggest we sign I have no doubt the choice will rest with the Argyle team for whoever it is and not some outside organisation. They will still have to fit the Argyle criteria of no knobheads. The team seem to be quite good at picking suitable candidates that fit. I think they will stick to their own criteria no matter who the incoming suggestion is and no matter where they would be coming from.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

RELEASED.

Before the last game and Schumacher's full list of who is staying or going.... PAFC have already released.....Ryan Law 23 years old, Finley Craske 20 years old, & Brandon Pursall 19 years old thanking them for what they have done during their time at Argyle.

Steven Schumacher added that it was a pleasure working with them and wished them all the best for the future.

Ryan Law of the three has played a reasonable amount of games for Argyle...plus loans away.

No great surprises there really.....Law nearly made it....but it was not to be.

But with Championship football on the horizon there time at Argyle was going to be very limited.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
  13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Norwich City manager David Wagner confirms that Bali Mumba will be back at Carrow Road next season......I think that he is saying that we certainly wont be lending him to a Championship rival thank you very much.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  14. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

They've already said they know who they want and all will be revealed soon hopefully.
    I feel a considerable cash injection will be offered to the club and were waiting on the promotion....

15. notDistantGreen

I thought I’d just stir it up by saying that I heard that Morgan Whittaker was at the Burton Albion game. It’s true. I really heard it somewhere.

16. notDistantGreen

We need not panic. Luton (3rd) have average attendances of 9,900. Coventry (5th) 20,400, Blackburn (7th) 14,800, Millwall (8th) 14,700, Swansea )10th) 16,800.

As Simon Hallett said, we’ve won this league not by outspending Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday or Portsmouth but by spending what we do have intelligently.

Ticket prices will go up and potentially, so will attendances as more away fans come in so no space is wasted. That all goes straight to the bottom line because match day costs for a full stadium have already been covered in the he season just finished.

Lastly, we’ll have a big increase in TV money.

I’m not saying for a minute that it’ll be easy but having seen what’s been achieved this year, I have faith.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
  17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Morgan Whittaker didn't even get his allotted ten minutes for the last game of the season.....Swansea who where safe just below the play-offs could have given him a start....but no that wasn't to be.......I cannot see any future for him there.....maybe they have already made up their minds that he isn't championship quality anyrate.....hard to prove yourself when you only get the dregs of chances at the end of matches.

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Been looking into Whittakers' Championship record since returning to Swansea in January....does it prove if he is at that level or not ?

Matches played...15 games.
    Started...2.
    On as sub...13.
    Not used sub...3.

Goals...one early on,

Certainly hasn't set the place on fire....is that because most of his appearance's were only the scrag end of matches.....did he get played out of position or not to his strengths.....could it of been difficult for him to fit into a team that was not setting the pace like it was at Argyle. Was the dissapointment hard to get over being recalled when he was flying high.....was it because it looked as if Swansea had recalled him to sell him on for a fat profit.

He would have had mates at Argyle who would have kept him informed of their continuing success....and told him how he was missed.....could it all of effected his match day performances and maybe resentment against being recalled and not being sold on and has to knuckle down at Swansea.

And now to see and hear all the success of his ex-team mates....all of which he was taken away from....it can be difficult being a professional footballer.

None of this really answers the question...is he of Championship quality...just not proven yet.....so bringing back could be a gambol....has Schumacher the magic to make Whittaker into a good Championship player....we might never know..

19. notDistantGreen

https://www.pafc.co.uk/news/retained-list-0

Connor Grant, Danny Mayor and James Bolton released at the end of their contracts.

Jordan Houghton, James Wilson, Dan Scarr, Ryan Hardie and Niall Ennis offered new contracts.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

THIS IS THE RETAINED LIST ETC FROM PAFC.

The following out of contract players have been offered new contracts.

Jordan Houghton, James Wilson, Dan Scarr, Ryan Hardie and Niall Ennis.

Brendan Galloway has played enough games to trigger a one year extension to his contract.

Those not offered new contracts...which include of course those confirmed last week of Ryan Law, Finley Craske and Brandon Pursall......are James Bolton, Danny Mayor, Conor Grant and Luke Jephcott.

Loan deals that have ended are....Sam Cosgrove, Bali Mumba, Finn Azaz, Nigel Lonwijk and Jay Matete.

From the under 18 squad....Will Jenkins-Davies will join the senior ranks....an option on Oscar Halls contract has been activated.....Jack Endacott & Zak Baker have been offered professional deals.

No mention above of Adam Parkes...although he is mentioned below.

SO THIS IS HOW IT IS.

Under contract
    Michael Cooper, Macaulay Gillesphey, Matt Butcher, Joe Edwards, Mickel Miller, Adam Randell, Ben Waine, Saxon Earley, Callum Burton, Callum Wright, Tyreik Wright, Will Jenkins-Davies & Caleb Roberts.

Option to extend exercised.
    Brendan Galloway & Oscar Halls.

Under-18s offered new contracts
    Jack Endacott & Zac Baker.

Out of contract, offered new contracts.
    Jordan Houghton, James Wilson, Dann Scarr, Ryan Hardie & Niall Ennis.

Out of contract released.
    James Bolton, Conor Grant, Danny Mayor, Luke Jephcott, Adam Parkes, Ryan Law, Finley Craske & Brandon Pursall.

Loans expired.
    Sam Cosgrove, Bali Mumba, Finn Azaz, Nigel Lonwijk & Jay Matete.

It seems that Danny Mayor has made the decision to return north to be nearer his family.

So a few things to chew over and debate there....and it will be interesting to see if the five offered new contract accept or not.

Last edited: May 10, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.