1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Rotherham game

Discussion in 'Shrewsbury' started by Zenfootball2, May 18, 2018.

1. Zenfootball2

Zenfootball2 Active Member

One of the biggest games in towns history with an £8 million pound prize and championship football at stake so no pressure !

Both teams are there on merit , the Lincoln game showed how things can go wrong if town dont start well and get a grip of the game and control the midfield .

we will struggle if we dont win the midfield battle , we know town have struggled with the physical teams , it would be a mistake to think Rotherham are just long balls , long throw ins and physicality , they have skilful players ,taylor is good with free kicks and long range shoots ,

We must cut out the silly free kicks, Scunthorpe had chances but could not score ,They caused Rotherham problems when they got behind the defenders and cut the ball back, we have two wingers who could cause them problems.

we need to hit the ground running , impose our game on them , high tempo , press hard all over the park ,keep them in there half , be more clinical in front of goal and shoot more.

i dont see this been a high scoring game,who settles best and scores first could be crucial

you would hope that after Lincoln we have got that out of our system and l be less nervous at wembely .
    so who will turn up can we finish with a rampaging performance and a roar or leave with a whimper ?

2. Matster

Matster Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tickets are selling well, 7500 at the last figure I saw. Hopefully we're up for it and start the game well. We have the same referee that we had against rotherham when we beat them so that's one possible positive.

I have bought four tickets and will take my little boy who's really looking forward to it.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  3. Zenfootball2

i hope you all have a great day

4. Matster

Forum Moderator

Are you not making the trip?

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You lot don't half like running yourselves down on here. Everytime I look at what you are posting it is doom and gloom almost. During the league final games you were saying you would dip out and didn't fancy facing this one or that one in the play offs. You wouldn't win it anyway and so on.

You won your place in the play offs with games to spare and points difference to the other 3 clubs. You won your way into the final because you were better that the other team. You have been better than other teams all season. There is absolutely no reason why you cannot go to Wembley and win the whole shebang. You have nothing to prove and are where you are on absolute merit and anyone who tells you different has not been looking at results this season. I for one think you deserve promotion and have said so several times already. I seem to have more faith in Shrewsbury than people who follow them. Talk yourselves up for a change not down.

Scowey and Matster like this.
  6. Zenfootball2

yes i am your post reminded me of my children going to Wembely

Matster likes this.
  7. Zenfootball2

everything you say is true , but i am a pessimist ! that post was me been balanced ! yes we must win at Wembley some time , both teams are there on merit and i hope this year will be the one.

8. greenhousmeadowman

greenhousmeadowman Well-Known Member

It is a fifty-fifty game and, from someone who opposes the play-off system, at least it is third plays fourth. We would have had no chance playing like we did the final month of the regular season and I was delighted to see us find some legs and form against Charlton. Personally I have decided to give this one a miss mainly due to the previous four very negative experiences at Wembley. I am taking the family on holiday instead but will find a pub showing the game and cheer the lads on from there. I hope all Salop fans going can finally savour a victory at Wembley.

Zenfootball2 likes this.
  9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You'll soon find out if it was you who jinxed the other times then................

10. greenhousmeadowman

I don't believe in jinxes Greeny but the breaks have not gone our way at Wembley yet (especially in the Lincoln game). I just think the whole Wembley experience (starting with the rip-off prices and ridiculous extra charges for online booking) is extremely depressing. It would be much better to hold the play-off finals at a Premier league ground where the stadium might be full and it would be a much better atmosphere. I remember a fabulous day at Stoke when we beat Aldershot after a penalty shoot-out to get back into the league - the ground was absolutely humming that day.

11. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Good luck next week, I'm looking forward to a trip to Shrewsbury next season!

Matster likes this.
  12. Matster

Forum Moderator

We have been pessimistic i admit. The 8-10 odd games prior to the playoffs we were not playing well. The last few games when the pressure was off were more enjoyable, and Hurst changed the tram around and we had a few interesting games. Hopefully the checkatrade final experience will help spur the players on to win this game.

Floreat Salopia.

13. Zenfootball2

no one wont to leave the stadium like we did against Lincoln

So i hope town turn up , i hope every town player gives it 120% , i hope town impose themselves on the game , press every blade of grass, play a high tempo one touch football, i hope town dominate and boss the midfield and use the whole width of the stadium , i hope the wingers get behind the defenders and that if we get a chance we shoot on sight and go for it . if that is not good enough then fair enough that is how it goes.

sensiblegreeny and Matster like this.
  14. greenhousmeadowman

I am with you Zen, we are playing a strong Rotherham side but are well capable of winning. The bookies odds are a bit of an insult to us though we may prefer to be the underdog this time.

15. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's more like it Zen. Never mind what the bookies say the only reason odds are what they are is because the bookies set the price based on how much money they pull in. If a 3 legged blackpool donkey had everyone bet on it for the grand national it would be odds on favourite. If there is any justice in this world you will win this game. I think all you can ever ask of your players is that they turn up on the day and don't just fall apart and not play. We did that against Wimbledon 2 years ago and it was a waste of my £300 paid for that day out with the journey home being the most dismal period I have ever spent.

16. Zenfootball2

the wembley nightmare continues

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Gutted for you people. There is no justice I'm convinced.

18. Zenfootball2

thanks ,but on the day we were beaten by a better team ,i feel gutted but town have not turned up to wembley twice in 2018