1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rumours about changes

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Wilcox ! When did we buy the Blackburn winger from the early 90's lol ? About the right age for us though. We need to out all the dead wood and all the injury prone ****ers. Clarke Salter a 4 Yr deal ffs, looks like a proper sick note, joke. Whoever we can sell I'd sell, apart from Field and Chair. Willick was great before injuries but doesn't look the same player since he came back. Whether it's injury related or otherwise, I think nows tge time to cash in for whatever we can. We need 1 proper Centre half with some pace and a right wingback as at least cover. Back up for Paal aswell. Johansen has to go, and I'd defo out Dozzell, he's not Championship standard. I like Amos but **** me I'd play more games a season than he does. What's happening with Richards ? Is he defo staying, and if so why doesn't he feature more, apart from being injured so regularly ? Thanks Martin but that's it for him, we need a proper younger striker who can hit the net regularly. Armstrong needs to be given more chances to become a regular and if he doesn't step up with regular starts then we know what to do. Personally Les and Ramsey have had more than enough time to have done way way better than they have, and both should go .

Last edited: May 1, 2023
  2. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

3. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has already been posted, but maybe we can find a couple of gems in this exodus?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport...mmoth-rangers-rebuild-31-players-29856291.amp

Didley Squat likes this.
  4. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

kiwiqpr, Steelmonkey and Sutfol like this.
  5. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

I doubt they would fit into our wage structure. They are also likely to be ones expecting to win every game, which we won't. We must find fighters with something to prove at bargain basement rates. No easy task.

6. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Still think Albert might be here next year

7. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

My views on the squad:

The Oldies
    I think we need a young, fit team next season and, therefore, my cull would consist of some of the older players
    - Martin (Been best as a late impact sub recently but we we haven't got the room or finance for that next season)
    - Johansen - he was great when on loan but he hasn't been anywhere near good enough since. Buy out his contract.
    - Adomah - great whilst it lasted but the legs have gone. We can't afford passengers; we need 90 minute guys.

N'er do wells:
    - Hamalainen - buy out his contract.
    - Dozzell - has had plenty of opportunities and will only ever be a decent League One player, at best.

A tearless farewell to the loan players:
    - Roberts (complete waste of space... and money)
    - Iroegbunam - very good occasionally but inconsistent, often lazy. Would be expensive to keep. Could be a great player.
    - Lowe - hasn't looked the least bit interested apart from his first game and the last two. Shame cos there's a half decent player hiding in there.

Sell to raise some money:
    - Willock - once a true great but now injury prone and seemingly disinterested. Glasgow Rangers keen (but reportedly skint). Might once have been worth £5-10m plus but be lucky to get that now.

Persevere with:
    - Dunne - works hard and could improve technique with some proper coaching
    - Dickie - a poor season but I'd gamble that he will come again. He's shown what he's capable of.
    - Clarke-Salter - I know he's been long-term injured but he's looked good when he's played. A gamble subject to medical advice.
    - Balogun - again, depending on medical advice and provided he's cheap. Seemed to organise our defence well early on. Attitude?
    - Kakay - squad player but one who had a couple of very good performances just before his injury.
    - Drewe - squad player. Needs to improve but young and, presumably, cheap.
    - Amos - I like his energy when he's come on and last season he scored a few. Provided he's cheap and passes medical. Another gamble.
    - Richards - he's shown promising flashes but keeping him depends very much on what the medical team say (again).

The Cream
    Keep our core of good players (assuming we can afford to):
    - Paal - form dropped off along with the rest of the team but he's been a great find.
    - Laing - I believe his contract is up at Manure. Looked great in many games. Young. Provided his attitude is right. Affordable?
    - Field - No. 1 player to be retained.
    - Chair - our creative force. Also works hard and supports the defence well. No.2 player to be retained.
    - Dieng - only an average 22/23 season but, hopefully, will reach previous heights again. No. 3 player to be retained.
    - Dykes - I would have sold him 6 months ago for anything over £2m but he's worked so hard in recent weeks and I still hope he will score more. No.4
    - Armstrong - raw. Technique needs huge improvement but young, keen, strong, fast and - presumably - cheap.

There's still a few injury prone players in my retained list (4) and the medical/finance team would know better than me who of them is worth keeping. But there's already 9 on my "to go" list.

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  8. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

Didn't realise Dozzell is 24 :emoticon-0108-speec Was going to post that he's still very young and we should be patient. Maybe not.

9. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I agree with most of this, particularly getting rid of the 'oldies'. However, the three older players you mention are those that Ainsworth says 'had his back' during the difficult times.

Ainsworth: Senior QPR players had my back - West London Sport

So maybe we won't be seeing their backs.

10. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

That would demonstrate commendable loyalty and might serve to foster the sort of camaraderie that a successful squad needs. But I'm not sure we can afford it; we need to be hard-nosed. Moreover, the other players will know if some of the squad are incapable of pulling their weight and are merely passengers and that could undermine the ethos that Ainsworth is trying to create. This is the sort of tough call a manager has to make and I don't envy him that responsibility.

The WLS report is also interesting because it appears to give the lie to the rumour that Johansen was one of the players who, behind his back, were taking the p**s out of Ainsworth and his tactics. Don't believe everything you hear, eh?

11. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

Where else would Albert go
    No one's going to sign him on silly money
    Give him a deal that mostly includes win / goal bonuses

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  12. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

This is true...but Albert can still do a match and score a goal but it seems he now needs recovery. Johansen can no longer control a midfield, which was his job.

He may well still get a move back to Norway on decent money, where he could still hack it.

Keep Albert, let Stefan go if there are any offers...it would release a lot of salary

SW Ranger likes this.
  13. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

One thing GA has proved he can do is “succeed” on a budget

Makemstine Roger and kiwiqpr like this.
  14. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

You've started early

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Too early

16. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Seems the rumours weren’t so after all Rodders. Same as the one about Laird leaving. Age of misinformation - works especially well in times of crisis.

We need much better support for Field. Sad to say Stefan offers little as a starter now, or from the bench, that a new ‘leader’ brought in would definitely bring to us. I hoped we would get more from Stefan but it hasn’t really worked past that first loan period. Uncle Albert still has the brain and experience that a young player wouldn’t bring this year; but he doesn’t seem to have the stamina and speed needed for his position. If the contract money works possibly a bench player but could the money be used more effectively for a more pragmatic player? A choice for GA to decide where his priorities are. The trouble is we need more everywhere - and that ain’t gonna happen.

As you say tough choices to be made for GA, his team and … the DoF (!).

Rodney likes this.
  17. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I just hope Ainsworth adopts a better style of football next season otherwise it's going to be a tough watch. I believe he will keep the likes of Adomah and Martin (much to my dismay). I will give him the time and support to try and build his own team but from what I have witnessed to date, i don't forsee it being pretty.

18. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

In League 1...

19. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

20. Hammersmith bookie

Hammersmith bookie Well-Known Member

Johansen can no longer control his bowels ! Release or sell immediately. Uncle is past it, can't run. Get him involved with the youth teams

NigsyHoops and Makemstine Roger like this.