1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread SAINTS v Tottenham - FA Cup Special, Sat 25 January, 3pm KO

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Jan 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Not heard it, but maybe he has a point. Is he more or less effective than Djenepo? Especially if he is given the same exposure? Yes, he's been with the club longer, but I would argue that he hasn't had the consistent time to establish himself properly. Neither has Djenepo for that matter. These two are potentially the most creative players in the club, and if you believe that football is ultimately an entertainment, rather than a sport, potentially the most entertaining. And I take nothing away from Nathan Redmond, who is both highly entertaining and effective. But watching Boufal's first touch of the ball after he came on against Spurs, which was a precise back heel, which totally changed the movement of the play, just made me draw breath, and brought a gasp from the crowd. When he's on-song, he's so very special. Nothing he does is mundane. As is/does Djenepo. Is there room for both in the team, I think yes, certainly with certain games, not all. Then we have Stuart Armstrong, who has pushed himself into a position lately that he is ahead of both, because he's a traditional, yet modern British combination of team player and individualist. And he has become very effective. I think Sofiane is rightfully frustrated. Any good/great player should be asking for more game time. But the next time he gets dispossessed in midfield, because he's playing entertaining tricks against a capable PL player, perhaps he ought to reflect. Personally, I forgive him for some of that stuff though.

2. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Valery's French, so he's probably just on strike.

3. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Genuinely thought Stephens was our best player yesterday (along with Gunn). While he might make the odd lapse in his defensive play, he is actually a very good footballer. He is comfortable bringing the ball out of defense, and his forward passes to the edge of the opponent's box are becoming a 'thing' now. We used to miss that sort of pass a lot back in the dark days, and relied too much on going down the wings.

It would be interesting to see Stephens playing in midfield alongside JWP at some point. Think they would play well together.

4. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

I have always thought he would make a very good DCM sat just in front of the two CB’s similar to Victor used to do for this reason. With our full backs being so far up the pitch we could do with a bit of cover defensively as seen every time Spurs broke out on us yesterday

TheSecondStain likes this.
  5. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I am still struggling to understand how we did not win the match yesterday. I felt that was one of the best home performances we had put in under Ralph. The whole team performed well and the only blot in the ointment was Armstrong going off injured.

saint horatio and garysfc like this.
  6. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I`m struggling to understand how we didn`t get a penalty for what seemed to me to be an obvious handball.

7. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It struck his arm yes but the problem is it needs to be a clear and obvious error. Handball decisions will rarely be overturned by VAR because of the wording of the law.

8. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

Maybe. Djenepo gets the nod most of the time, and to be honest he's my preference for a game changer. Both skillful, but Djenepo is a bit more direct, as well as having the skills. Probably suits our game more. Interesting to know what others think.

Edit
    Just seen your post TSS

9. Che’s Godlike Thighs

100% Djenepo

I'm totally over Boufal. Well taken goal yesterday but I just think he's one of those players that will never suit the pace of the Premier League. Would have rather kept Sims.

10. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

The price we pay for these little pieces of genius are too high. But we need him now, more than ever. Our squad is starting to look stretched, with just a couple of injuries.

11. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Anyone else reminded of Ian Wright when they watch Obafemi? I don't mean ability-wise, just the way he runs mostly.

Libby and shoot_spiderman like this.
  12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Important goal from Boufal and I understand his disappointment about lack of playing time but he probably just doesn't suit our style. Feel for him.

13. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

There maybe a clue in this .....

The English Premier League has announced it will team up with the Blind Society charity to provide new referees in the future.

The Blind Society (known as BS) will provide a steady stream of candidates to the Premier League with the intent to improve the standard of refereeing in English football.

‘Refereeing standards have been a problem in the Premier League for many years. This move will allow us to pump some fresh, capable blood into the refereeing pool. We are sure fans will notice a vast and immediate improvement.’ said Chief Executive Richard Masters.

While the blind referees might not be able to see the action, they will be able to use their other senses to judge what’s happening on the pitch. Currently referees ‘choose’ not to see many fouls and off-side play by the players of the top six clubs. Understandably this has caused a great deal of anger and frustration for other clubs.

‘If the intake of totally blind referees can just display some ordinary common sense they’ll be one step ahead of the current batch of useless ****ing twats.’ said one angry fan.

This move will mark the end of the Premier League’s formal relationship with the English ****ers’ Society, which has previously been the main supplier for referees.

14. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Important goal from Boufal and I understand his disappointment about lack of playing time but he probably just doesn't suit our style
    ----------

If he doesn't suit our style then change & adapt. Try some quick give and go's rather than always running with the ball, sometimes into blind alleys. If he is really frustrated, work on something new, talk to the gaffer and team mates.
    Don't just moan, and expect things to change.

Archers Road and Surrey_Saint like this.
  15. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Spot on :emoticon-0148-yes:

Been saying recently that for all the improvement from Boufal what we need from him is more actual product. The goal is a good start

Love watching him and Djenepo bamboozling defenders. Next step is more goals and assists

Nathan was really good, great to have the choice of those three

Hope Stuart isn’t out for long :emoticon-0101-sadsm

16. shoot_spiderman

I don’t think 3 at the back is a good idea with Son wide on the left

17. shoot_spiderman

If the ball hits the ref he has to stop play so if he takes out a player surely the same should apply?

18. shoot_spiderman

Hopefully he’s moaning and trying to do what it takes to start. Ralph will be telling him what he wants him to do

Creative players sometimes take time to adjust to the Prem. It’s all about decisions isn’t it, when to run, when to pass, finding space like he did for his goal

I like his reaction when he loses the ball. His head doesn’t go down, he always tries to win it back

19. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

This is it, the problem with boufal is hes too much of an enigma.

He wants to be given a complete free role, and unfortunately he isnt productive enough for that. Djenepo however, clearly follows Ralph's instructions to stretch the game and hug the touchline, and has more impact.

I'd argue that he probably should get the nod over obafemi though, who has had way more chance to prove himself than boufal this season.

20. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Boufal & Obafemi play in 2 completely different positions though, so I doubt Boufal would get the nod over Obafemi at any point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.