1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Saints vs Spurs, Sat 18th March 3pm

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Archers Road, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

He's gone full Nathan with his interview, but in fairness, I thought some of his points were very pertinent.

Saints14 likes this.
  2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It will. Mind you, I still listened to the end on the radio so caught the penalty on Solent. And I had no issues getting out of Southampton unlike some. :)

3. Le Tissier's Laces

One other thing that I noticed at the end - Fraser walked around applauding the fans, and was warmly hugged by JWP, Salisu, Theo etc. He then started walking around with the Saints players before clearly remembering he didn't play for us any longer <laugh><laugh><laugh>

4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's remarkable how frequently the universe seems to go out of its way to prove you specifically wrong. If we pool our money and buy you a ST next year, and tickets to all of the away games, will you promise to walk out in the first minute of every match? We'll win the title (division of our title win TBD).

5. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

So that's a penalty for you?

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It's 50-50. I can see why it was given live and why VAR didn't overturn but it's soft.

7. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I've made more contact bumping into someone on the tube

8. Le Tissier's Laces

Just thought, that means ABK won't be going to the German squad in the break I guess. Feel sorry for him.

9. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Never mind your 'apenny then.

Brinkworth Saint likes this.
  10. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Would have been easy for JWP to put that penalty pressure on a team mate having missed 2 this season, and JWP was saying Fraser was a neighbour as well as a team mate and seen him take 100's of penalties.

Leading by example

11. SaintMarv

SaintMarv Well-Known Member

I heard he had ordered one of No7s heads.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  12. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Can someone on MOTD please remind these pundits there were two teams playing at St Mary's today?

13. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Sweet of Mark Chapman to acknowledge they gave us all of 20 seconds of comment after what seemed to be over 5 mins on Spurs, possibly the longest amount of time I have ever seen dedicated to one team after a match on MOTD.

14. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

Wtf did I just watch on match of the day?

15. Shandy_top_89

Dedicated Tottenham Hotspur highlights vs irrelevant relegation fodder team

LincolnSaint and SootySaint like this.
  16. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

No mention of the fact 4 players went off injured in the first 30 mins. No mention that we were playing a right back at cb for Kanes goal. No mention of any of the two teams style of play which is the whole point ot analysis. They even had examples put up on screen that they ignored. What was the actual point of that except talking about how Conte is upset and that southampton did well as they are bottom. Embarrassing that this is called analysis of any game

jaySFC, saint horatio and Osvaldorama like this.
  17. Shandy_top_89

'It was a good result for Southampton, although it could be argued that Spurs made it easy for them. Maybe they can build on this.'

Tbh the way it was going I didn't think they were even going to mention us at all, that does happen from time to time although usually I can't blame them, today though...

Additional: Obligatory **** off Chelsea comment.

SootySaint likes this.
  18. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I LOVED the hug he and JWP shared after the game. They are still obviously great mates and that had to help JWP to sash the ball past him. He must have done that hundreds of times.

Love Fraser, can always be counted on to concede 3 at St Marys.

19. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

So many mixed emotions. Felt great to score goals, we had a lot more attacking threat throughout, the subs made a positive impact, some great performances from Theo and even Ely and to comeback and get a deserved point at the death is most unsaintly. In fact all our goals were unusual for us and not just because they were goals that we scored. Scoring straight after half time, shortly after they did and injury time is a hatrick of good times to score. However that is the softest of soft pens and I’d be livid if that was given against us if the game was flipped. Losing both CBs is a big blow too, hopefully the break is long enough for one or both to come back as having that settled defence is so key. While AMN did a valiant job playing so long at CB, you’d like to think an actual CB wouldn’t have given Kane that free header a few yards out. It’s also just one point. In isolation a point v Spurs is good, but we need more. Theo was outstanding, and I think had to play through pain to last the full 102 minutes. And JWP can actually take a good pen, who knew! Loved the team huddle after Spurs 3rd and the JWP/FF hug at the end and FF seemingly momentarily forgetting he didn’t play for us anymore. Also enjoyable banter from JWP trying to drag the entire ref closer to goal when we got a free kick. Mixed feelings about the break now, good that it gives our CBs some time to hopefully recover, but a shame we can’t run with the confidence of scoring 3 and a late comeback. Great fight, spirit and some moments of quality. COYR

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    Lambertissier and SaintinNZ like this.
  20. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Also the criticism of Spurs sitting back at 3-1 up was weird. If they had looked at any of our defeats they would know 1 goal up and sitting back = 3 points most of the time.

The fact that we broke through and scored 2 goals is fantastic and worth mentioning in itself.