1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 22nd. April 2017

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if that's exactly what Mick was looking at but I looked and noticed Another Touch was beaten a neck two starts ago and then beaten by 11 lengths before going close to winning at big odds yesterday after some support. Star Ascendant was beaten 1.5 lengths two starts ago and then beaten by 13 lengths albeit at Southwell and then came out and won at Wolves after early support (drifted a little late in the day)

It may be nothing but I was trying to solve his "plot happening" myself <laugh>

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If I had a racehorse, my idea of a plot would be:
    1. Know its best distance (preferably 10 to 12f), going and track type (if relevant) by racing privately against good horse from the same yard
    2. Put him in a good class race in the right conditions against a good class yardstick guaranteed to set a good pace
    3. Get a good jockey to ensure the horse runs well within himself and finishes down the field but not too far behind the winner, with instructions to assess whether he could have won and by how far had he pushed him out. This gives you his true handicap mark known only to you.
    4. Run the horse a few times at the wrong distances (8f or less) looking as though he's trying
    5. When the handicapper gets his rating down, run a decent race over say 10f after a lay off from the track - maybe enough to keep his handicap mark or raise it a pound or 2 (knowing he's a good stone better)
    6. Enter in a race he should win by 10l over ideal distance and conditions and win by a length (backing it of course on and off the track and on the Tote)
    7. Enter in another similar race and win by a length, again backing it.
    8. Run in a higher class race and finish down the field, followed by a couple of poor runs on the wrong ground (not too wrong)
    9. Put him away for the winter and repeat the next season

3. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The only problem with that plan Ron is that the handicapper will put your horse up a hell of a lot quicker than he'll drop the horse's mark. You regularly see horses who need 7 or 8 runs over a season to get dropped 4 or 5 pounds. The handicappers know what to look for.

SaveTheHumans likes this.