1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Racing Thread Saturday 4th. July 2020

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by attivo, Jul 3, 2020.

1. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Saturday's Meetings

Epsom Downs

Flat 7 Races 1:50-5:35p.m.
    The Oaks Off @ 3:40p.m.
    The Derby Off @ 4:55p.m.
    Haydock

Flat 9 Races 12:00-4:25p.m.
    Naas
    Flat 8 Races 2:00-5:45p.m.
    Bellewstown
    N/H 7 Races 2:45-6:05p.m.
    Chelmsford(E)
    A/W 9 Races 4:35-8:40p.m.
    Yarmouth(E)
    Flat 8 Races 5:20-8:55p.m.

Racecards
    At The Races
    Racing Post
    Sporting Life

Good Luck <ok>

2. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Love @6/5 The Oaks
    Russian Emperor @13/2 The Derby

Harbottle, Steveo, rudebwoy and 3 others like this.
  3. morky

morky Active Member

After ploughing through 79 O’Brien horses earlier in the year. We took the 50/1 on offer for Vatican City (small ew bet).Fingers crossed he stays the distance.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  4. Grade One

Grade One Well-Known Member

Morning

Epsom

1.50-Modern News @ 5-2..Win
    2.25-Oh This Is Us @ 15-2..Each/Way

Sugarrush likes this.
  5. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

There are normally about three races a year that I bother with at Epsom and one of them has already been run elsewhere.

There is certainly no Pinatubo in the opening Woodcote Stakes and the short-priced Safe Voyage looks ripe to be beaten in the Surrey Stakes given that four of its nine career wins were at Haydock and two on the Newcastle A/W – hardly the undulations of Epsom. Desert Icon looks thrown in for the big handicap, if he has improved 6lb for stealing a weak five-runner race and he takes to this track.

I fully expect Cloak Of Spirits will end the unbeaten record of Fooraat now that I desert her as her 1000 Guineas runner-up spot subsequently looks moderate form, and what I won at HQ I gave the bookies back at Ascot.

When she won the 1000 Guineas with great authority, Love looked the obvious one to beat in the Oaks and I think that is still the case. Whilst she is a Classic winner, the form of that race has subsequently been devalued but she was a Group 1 winner as a juvenile and all she could do was win well. Frankly Darling won what is usually the Oaks consolation race as a warm-up and is clearly the only really credible opponent, having beaten three of these at Ascot. We will know if she has improved past Love by around quarter to four.

As usual before the race, this is the worst Derby in living memory because there is no obvious big name and people in racing generally have very short memories.

Classic winner Kameko does have a question mark against his stamina and connections presumably will not want any more rain. It is reasonable to assume that at least one of the Ballydoyle six will be making sure that they do not hang around, so how Oisin Murphy decides to ride it will be decisive (do not do a Greville Starkey).

The talking horse Mogul warmed up behind Pyledriver and Mohican Heights in the Ascot Derby, emptying in the final furlong, and is the choice of Ryan Moore, which has hardly been a reliable indicator in recent times. Mohican Heights would be my idea of an each-way that will give followers a good run for their money but is overlooked by the bookies/punters because of where he resides.

Curiously Moore has passed up Royal Ascot winner Russian Emperor, who does have to go an extra two furlongs here but is no forlorn hope. The other big hope for Ireland is staying-on Irish Guineas runner-up Vatican City, another with a stamina question mark but a strong form claim on only his fourth start.

If English King were trained by Sir Michael Stoute or John Gosden, nobody would be in such a hurry to crab his impressive win in the Lingfield Derby Trial. The course should be no problem and the owner has booked an in-form experienced jockey, the reason that he may start favourite, putting a little more pressure on Ed Walker. He seems the most likely option for an impressive winner from what we have seen on the racecourse. Last year’s Lingfield winner did the double but how often has it happened back-to-back?

I hope that whoever wins puts up a noteworthy performance so that we can look forward to a middle distance Classic three year old taking on the older horses. If we wind up with a blanket covering the first half dozen, it is probably another poor renewal.

karlos5001 and Archers Road like this.
  6. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Overcast morning for the Derby.
    I won’t be going this year but as I live close enough I went for a run around the course last night. It was drying out fast in the stuff breeze.

the fences that they have put up to keep people out are fairly pathetic so if anyone fancies going on to the downs today you will be able to see the race.

I managed to get 66/1 antepost on English King but I think Russian Emperor has the better chance, with the Ryan Moore horse a big threat.

Frankly Darling wins the Oaks

LG likes this.
  7. LG

LG Well-Known Member

Lovely part of the world. I used to live in Esher, loved going to Epsom for the Oaks/Derby

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Not worried about Kameko getting home - the last 5 furlongs is nearly all downhill <ok>

9. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Today's bets:

Oaks - I have backed Love 5/4 win
    Derby - I have backed Vatican city 11/1 each way 4 places in the hope he stays. Each way saver on Emissary 28/1 each way 4 places

Good luck all. :emoticon-0167-beer:

karlos5001 likes this.
  10. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

I would love Kameko to win as a 2000g winner but just can not for the life of me see him staying. Looked to be at the end of his run at HQ.
    I have Vatican City antepost but unsure if he stays.
    Today I am on English King, proven at trip...see if he is good enough.

11. NDS

NDS Well-Known Member

Very quite on here today..

The way my luck is going every pick of mine will flop but I have decided
    to go for Max Vega in the Derby ew and Russian Emperor.

In the oaks it has to be Frankly Darling for me at least.

Good luck to all...be lucky

12. SimonJ

SimonJ Well-Known Member

Gents.
    So, what to make of this?
    ( And no Chester winners for me to talk up.....)
    I've plumped for a Heffernan double.
    3.40 Ennystimon
    4.55 Russian Emperor

Up at Haydock, I cannot resist a small each way go on this one:
    12.30 Birkenhead

Enjoy your Super Saturday and stay safe.

Si.

Harbottle likes this.
  13. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

Russian Emperor for me in the Derby, the step up in trip should help. Doesn't look like the classiest renewal.

Harbottle likes this.
  14. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Mogul is trading at very attractive prices. Ryan Moore doesn’t always get it right, but he’s picked the horse, and O’Brien seems adamant he’s their top contender and will come on plenty for his run at Ascot. Worth a small e/w I think.

Haven’t decided whether to also back Kamenko yet. Might see how the race pans out, then either keep schtum or claim to have been on.

Ron and LG like this.
  15. Reebok

Reebok YTS Mod
    Staff Member

Good morning horsey peeps :)

Comp/telly picks are:

150 Twaasol

225 Vale Of Kent

300 You’re Hired

340 Love - unopposable for me

415 Love And Thunder .... hmmm Love And Love And Thunder - don't like coincidence bets but this is accidental!

455 English King NAP

535 Knowing Glance ew

Good luck all <ok>

16. Harbottle

Harbottle Active Member

I'm with the Russian Emperor backers for the Derby, but have hedged with the Skybet money back in cash if your horse is 2nd, 3rd or 4th on English King.

17. Harbottle

Harbottle Active Member

In the Oaks there's no value in the front 2, so I've just had a little of the 13/2 on Ennistymon for a bit of interest.

18. CaptainPops

In the Epsom 2.25pm race Sage Voyage looks a very worthy favourite. Surely wins this....

karlos5001 likes this.
  19. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

Afternnoon all , ( even qm) Kryptos 2 40 hay , unbeaten on the jockey on today 7/1 , surely be bang there !
    Voi at yarmouth , favourite course , softer the better , only reservation is it’s usually third run back after a break , this is second , but josephine keeps the faith ! 3/1
    Derby , no opinion , but having a small ew on the extra with the leger types Worthily and Gold Wand

good luck all ( even qm)

karlos5001 likes this.
  20. CaptainPops

Boooommm! <cracker>

Sugarrush and karlos5001 like this.