1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Science - It's life Jim but not as we know it...

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Treble, Feb 4, 2022.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

please log in to view this image

2. brb

brb CR250

I think the timing takes you straight to the answer....

bolloxs it didn't, I think if you skip to 3.15 or just easier to watch all 5 mins lol...

3. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

So white holes are purely hypothetical. So is Hawkings radiation, but Hawkings radiation does actually have data to back it up.

It's far more likely black holes slowly evaporate as radiation than have a white hole opposite... But if they did. A black hole energy and mass appear to be consumed over a near infinite time frame to an outside observer... A white hole would be the opposite. Mass and energy would appear instantly...

It's probably why we can observe white holes. They don't last, they're instant. (Instant to an outside observer... If the big bang is a white hole as some theorize, the whole existence of our universe is happening instantly to anyone "outside the universe".

4. Sucky

Sucky peoples champ & forum saviour

Treble likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

Sucky likes this.
  6. Sucky

@Spurlock

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  7. Sucky

Tracer shot from orion

8. Sucky

These need studying <laugh>

Treble likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Have a look at these. I'd say at least two (probably three) are the best astronomical pictures I've ever seen.

I'll pick out Uranus with its rings (which I'd never seen before) and Ring Nebular as my favourite. And probably Cassiopeia A.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/67772057

duggie2000 and brb like this.
  10. brb

brb CR250

I find it all very inspiring, something that helps remind us to ask that question, what is life all about. The human race don't even come into it in my eyes, hence why I often struggle with our human depiction of god - something greater than any human could ever be has created something that we can't even begin to understand, and by the time we even scrape the surface, the human race and Earth will be extinct, if not by our own hands, by the laws of psychics and the path we cannot change. To think one is even a part of this is amazing. I think of it the same way as a lottery winner, something gave us the gift each and everyone of us to be here, yet how many humans think about that. But I also remind myself nature is very destructive, it has to destroy everything to recreate anew - maybe it does the same with the universe and we will all meet again in many billions of years from now, hopefully the humanoid version of Sucky will be retired by then, left a legacy state pension by Rishi Sunak.

Today's sermon by brb

duggie2000 and Treble like this.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You've reminded me of something I was saying to my daughter a few weeks ago when she was home from university over easter. She's a little temperamental, I'm not always sure she's happy and very conscious the younger generation are a little bit "softer" lets just say emotionally less resiliant (probably all this social media stuff) and I was trying to think of how I dealt with things at her age and I suppose I just didn't waste too much time on things that weren't important, just got on with things. So I said to her, listen the only thing that matters is what you want, all the rest is just bullshit. Most things you may think are important are what we're conditioned to believe. But all they are, are human constructs. It's all bullshit. Look at the world around you, the universe around you. It's beyond anything we can comprehend and the rest is trivial. Just focus on what you want and the rest in your head is irrelevant bollox. I don't know if it made a difference in her thinking but the only thing that gives me any hope she did is bcos she keeps telling her sister she's like me so maybe she did lol. Anyway it's not exactly the point you were making but it reminded me of that and I do think we're all wrapped up in the trivial sometimes we forget the universe don't give a fck.

brb and duggie2000 like this.
  12. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

A Sumatran orangutan in Indonesia named Rakus has self-medicated using a paste made from plants to heal a large wound on his cheek, say scientists.

It is the first time a creature in the wild has been recorded treating an injury with a medicinal plant.

The team saw Rakus chewing the stem and leaves of plant called Akar Kuning - an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial plant that is also used locally to treat malaria and diabetes.

He repeatedly applied the liquid onto his cheek for seven minutes. Rakus then smeared the chewed leaves onto his wound until it was fully covered. He continued to feed on the plant for over 30 minutes.

The paste and leaves then appear to have done their magic - the researchers saw no sign of infection and the wound closed within five days.

After a month, Rakus was fully healed.

Before:
    Screenshot_20240502-182421_Chrome.jpg

After:
    Screenshot_20240502-182457_Chrome.jpg

Funny thing is I doubt anyone on here would've had the foggiest idea to do that. <laugh>

Lovearsenalcock, Diego and brb like this.
  13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I dunno about you, but I use a plaster with TCP.

14. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I just go Rambo and sew it up using a twig and some stripped vine.

15. brb

brb CR250

Dock leaves on nettle stings, although whether it actually helps I don't know.

So I did a quick google... https://www.discoverwildlife.com/plant-facts/do-dock-leaves-really-soothe-nettle-stings

Do dock leaves help nettle stings?

It is often claimed that crushed dock leaves relieve the pain because their alkaline sap neutralises the nettle’s formic acid. But dock leaf sap is acidic too, so this cannot be true. Nevertheless, many find that the dock leaf remedy seems to work, so there may be other reasons for this.

One possibility is that dock leaf juice evaporating from the skin may have a surface cooling effect on the burning sensation. Another is that dock leaves might contain natural antihistamines that reduce the irritation, though none have been identified. The placebo effect, where faith in the efficacy of dock juice might lower the perception of the sting symptoms, cannot be discounted either.

Treble likes this.
  16. Turbia Milk

Turbia Milk Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, probably knowledge passed down from ape to ape too. Cats and dogs will chew grass and weeds when their stomachs hurt to self medicated/relieve stomach pains...

But that's more instinct than learned behaviour. That Orangutan on the other hand had to learn that that particular plant was actually medicinal and probably learnt it from a parent at that.

Lovearsenalcock and Treble like this.
  17. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

When I was a kid I thought it worked for me. I also remember (although my memory may be wrong) that dock leaves grew near nettles. So it was like nature providing a helping hand.

duggie2000 and brb like this.
  18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Even the ability to learn is incredible. We as humans do the same at the end of the day, just at a different level.

19. Big Ern

No idea, I know there weren't enough of them when I crashed my bike in the lane into the stinger patch when I was 9 wearing just a pair of shorts.

brb likes this.
  20. Big Ern

Talking of plants, it isn't just the animals in Australia that are out to get you, it's the plants too.

luvgonzo and brb like this.